Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thad Matta and UK...

Re: Thad Matta and UK....

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yea, I figured that was where you were coming from.
    Still seems like a pretty logical place to begin the discussion about whether or not he was a liar.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Still seems like a pretty logical place to begin the discussion about whether or not he was a liar.
    No one said it wasn't, but I don't think your argument for determining that he "lied," much yet is a habitual liar holds much water. There have been no indications of Matta being shady or less than forthright at any of his jobs other than you not liking the way his acceptance of the OSU job was handled. Of course, I'm sure a friend of a friend of a friend can tell us some stories...but the stuff in this thread is just wild conjecture based on an incident that is a sticky wick in any job change situation, esp. among the highly successful with contractual obligations.

Why are these coaches held up to such ridiculous standards? Why are they the only people in the world that are supposed to care about others in determining what is right for their future and their families?

Why are these coaches supposed to be loyal when most Athletic Directors, boosters, and fans would never shy from showing a lack of trust if they lose a few games?

It's very easy to claim moral superiority when you aren't in the fire. These guys are just advancing their careers and yet they are ridiculed on talk radio and message boards. What's wrong with changing your mind about Xavier when someone like Ohio State comes calling?

I guess he should have appeased the fans and forsaken his future? Get real.
    Last edited by Cedric; 03-25-2007 at 09:38 PM.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I've always wondered about cheating in the NCAA. In my youth, both Kentucky and UNLV were caught cheating. Public perception, at the time, confirmed suspicions that both were paying players substantial amounts of money.

Fine.

But, if I'm a Top 25, nationally-renowned HS player and Duke is offering me a free education, while Tark is offering a free education and $50,000 per year (not to mention the inevitable nice ride), I'm taking the cash.

If one cheats, IMO, they all do.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Why are these coaches held up to such ridiculous standards?
    You mean like honoring a contract signed in good faith?

Yeah -- can't say we expect anyone else to do that.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

No one said it wasn't, but I don't think your argument for determining that he "lied," much yet is a habitual liar holds much water. Nowhere on this board have I called him a "habitual" liar--that is your choice of words.
    My issue was with your declararation that Matta "was not a proven liar." I offered evidence of proof that he has lied...to his own people. End of story.

Unless, in your version of the story, he lied to be noble and uphold his sacred "oath of confidentiality"
    Last edited by Blimpie; 03-26-2007 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Not in the sports world. Do you feel the exact same way when teams cut players in the NFL?

Do you also get hounded and questioned by the press when you are deciding to switch jobs? These guys are gonna be wrong no matter what they say while getting interviewed for another job.

I guess he should have appeased the fans and forsaken his future? Get real.

Except you are making this an either or situation. He could have easily said no comment or avoided the whole thing entirely, similar to Donovan. But that's not what he did, is it? What he did, was say publicly something he knew was a lie. And this wasn't just a lie that affected one person, himself. I'm sorry, but to me that's a question of character, which, coupled with the recruiting classes, raises eyebrows. Personally I doubt that he did any illegal recruiting, at least with Oden and Connelly, because I think he has recruiting connections in Indianapolis, but it certainly does raise a few doubts. And if you were looking to hire someone, shouldn't those doubts be thought through? That's all anyone here is doing, as far as I can see. UK fans are raising doubts about someone who could be speculated to become their coach. Seems reasonable enough. In fact if this were a different sport, and the situations were reversed, for some reason I think OSU fans might be saying the same things. But good gosh, lately on this board, don't say anything remotely bad about OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin View Post
    In fact if this were a different sport, and the situations were reversed, for some reason I think OSU fans might be saying the same things. But good gosh, lately on this board, don't say anything remotely bad about OSU.
    Actually I wouldn't say anything about another coach. Everyone railed against Saban and I didn't see anything he did wrong. I'm just not into the sports talk mindset of most fans. These guys have a life and they aren't just public servants for insane sports fans.

I don't blame these coaches one bit. They would be ripped to shreds if they publicly said they were considering other offers. If they say no comment that is even more of an indictment and their fan base would go off on them and it would cause a huge distraction.

They also don't have to lie about it. This should be the standard response.
    "______ University is a great university with a proud heritage of tradition. I am honored that people think I would be a good fit for that university, though I have not had any personal contact with representatives from ___________ University. I am happy to be at my current job and unless _____________ University offers me a position I will not comment any further."

Then stick to your guns, let the people who represent you do their job, and keep your mouth shut.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I don't blame these coaches one bit. They would be ripped to shreds if they publicly said they were considering other offers. If they say no comment that is even more of an indictment and their fan base would go off on them and it would cause a huge distraction.
    Saying "no comment" is a huge distraction to their fan base?

You mean, moreso, than the coach doing an about-face and fleeing town? That, right there, might also be construed as a distraction.

At least with "no comment" you can look people in the eyes after the dust has settled.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    My issue was with your declararation that Matta "was not a proven liar." I offered evidence of proof that he has lied...to his own people. End of story.

Unless, in your version of the story, he lied to be noble and uphold his sacred "oath of confidentiality"
    I think your quotes are messed up in this post above. As for "proving" he "lied", you did no such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

These contracts have escape clauses and buyout provisions. Painting the picture as people just burning a contract is hardly the environment.

I think your quotes are messed up in this post above. As for "proving" he "lied", you did no such thing.
    To quote our former Chief Executive, "I guess that depends on what the definition of "IS" is..."

I give up....Really....You win.

Thad Matta is the bomb. Just please keep him in Columbus.

Airtight case there.
    Make baseless accusations like this often? As if it is either great recruiter or he's cheating? Brilliant, brilliant I say.
    No, he is not a proven liar. The bitter Cincy sports crowd have tried to paint that picture. Between Matta and Huggins, the opinions on these situations make Cincy college sports fans look like little more than bitter jilted lovers.

And Logan Buck hit it on the head as to what I was thinking on Blimpie's post. I think you just wanted to use the vogue, fan board word "snarky" in a sentence.
    I guess Merriam-Webster is a bit more 'en vogue' than I thought...
    http://reference.aol.com/dictionary?dword=snarky
    Main Entry: snarky
    Function: adjective
    Pronunciation: 'snär-ke
    Etymology: dialect snark to annoy, perhaps alteration of nark to irritate
    : CROTCHETY , SNAPPISH

Hmmm, those last two synonyms could have been substituted just as ably, I suppose.
    Last edited by WMR; 03-26-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Turn Off Ads?