Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thad Matta and UK...

Re: Thad Matta and UK....

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan View Post
    Ashley Judd, does that make UK more or less attractive?
    Don't forget:

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    His scratch your head curiosity was intended to cast a shadow of accusation.
    So? If Matta is on the up-and-up then he (and the program) really have nothing to worry about. However, his personal behavior of climbing the proverbial ladder by any means necessary will always open him to speculation of this sort.

Personally, I'm not surprised by Ohio State's emergence as a basketball power. They're in a lucrative conference and have more money than they know what to do with for facilities and recruiting -- its amazing it took them this long to be relevant in the sport.

Having said that, they'll never be consistently good like Duke, North Carolina or Kansas until they start recruiting some college stars as opposed to pro-prospects. Its tough to maintain continuity when half your team has one foot out the door before they set foot on campus as a freshman.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

According to a recent poll, IIRC, OSU has the third most popular basketball program in the nation. Take that for what you will, of course, but that will obviously help in recruiting as well. Matta has the benefit of being at a big name school with tons of resources. I'm not saying the guy isn't shady, I don't know the man or how he operates, but I don't think anyone here can honestly say otherwise either.

So what if he "lied" before he took the OSU job? It's standard practice these days to give the PC cover all your bases answer when you're questioned about taking a job elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I didn't read it that way.

Matta is a proven liar>> That's a fact.

His curiousity is based upon Matta's prior history... HOWEVER, he certainly didn't suppose to know any more than that.
    No, he is not a proven liar. The bitter Cincy sports crowd have tried to paint that picture. Between Matta and Huggins, the opinions on these situations make Cincy college sports fans look like little more than bitter jilted lovers.

And Logan Buck hit it on the head as to what I was thinking on Blimpie's post. I think you just wanted to use the vogue, fan board word "snarky" in a sentence.

However, his personal behavior of climbing the proverbial ladder by any means necessary will always open him to speculation of this sort.
    Yes, showing interest in another job while saying you are happy where you are because the other job has so much more to offer is "climbing the proverbial ladder by any means necessary." I bet he flirted with Karen Holbrook, too.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    No, he is not a proven liar. The bitter Cincy sports crowd have tried to paint that picture. Between Matta and Huggins, the opinions on these situations make Cincy college sports fans look like little more than bitter jilted lovers.
    When Matta was asked about his interest in the OSU job while he was the coach at Xavier, he was quoted directly as saying, "I am not a candidate for the job at OSU." He also espoused his love for the Musketeers at that point.

It was later revealed that he had actually interviewed for the OSU job two days earlier. Less than a week after his comments, he was at a press conference in Columbus announcing his hire.

Not a proven liar? Give me a break.

Kentucky basketball fans are talking about cheating? How ironic and laughable.

I would be jealous also if I was a Kentucky fan.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I couldn't agree more. That's the same reason that some people in these parts want no part of Calipari.
    If Calipari would go to UK, and he wins (which I guess is something Tubby couldn't do), they won't care

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yes, showing interest in another job while saying you are happy where you are because the other job has so much more to offer is "climbing the proverbial ladder by any means necessary." I bet he flirted with Karen Holbrook, too.
    All my personal feelings on college coaching changes being bad for the sport, the kids, and the reputation of athletics in general and refusal to honor contracts signed in good faith aside, I really draw the line when a guy tells all of his players, to their faces, that he is going to be staying and continuing to coach them and then packs up in the dead of night and heads somewhere else.

Thad Matta looked every X player in the face and told them he wasn't going anywhere. Blink and he's in Columbus. Great for his career, sure...but why would you ever believe a word the guy says when he lies his own team, his kids that he personally recruited?

He is a great coach. He is a great recruiter. He is also, in my mind, a disingenuous worm -- no better than Nick Saban, Mark Dantonio, or any other coach that doesn't have the onions to at least be honest with the people that he said, in some living room long ago, that he'd be there for.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Good gosh people. Can we do a little more 'mines bigger than yours' talk? OSU and UK are two of the top collegiate sports programs in the nation. Some days [or sports] OSU is better, some days [or sports] UK is better. Both have a lot of money to toss at a coach, both have or are building top facilities, and both have rich histories. It's all up to Matta or whatever other coach to decide what he wants. OSU can offer just as much cash, and just as solid facilities, and yes are in a better position right now that UK. But let's look at the ego's of the coaching candidates involved before calling names. 'Rebuilding' UK will be a far bigger notch in the belt than anything done at 99% of other schools.

I don't think we need to carry on the debate about which school is better, they are both very pretty and could get any man they want....sorry, couldn't resist answering the seeming inferiority complex thats raging in this thread.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    If Calipari would go to UK, and he wins (which I guess is something Tubby couldn't do), they won't care
    That's not exactly true, Matt. The fans here do not want to go through any more scandals--in either sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Kentucky basketball fans are talking about cheating? How ironic and laughable.

I would be jealous also if I was a Kentucky fan.
    You should probably read the comments by some more carefully. This thread is about the possibility of Matta coming to UK to be their head coach. The discussion started by saying that even if there were a shadow of doubt about the tactics of a potential replacement coach (be he Matta or Calipari) then UK should pass immediately. The only comments about cheating have come with full acknowledgement (at least in my posts it has) that UK has been one of the most scandal-ridden college basketball programs in history.

No coach mentioned is worth taking an unnecessary risk at this point.

When Matta was asked about his interest in the OSU job while he was the coach at Xavier, he was quoted directly as saying, "I am not a candidate for the job at OSU." He also espoused his love for the Musketeers at that point.

It was later revealed that he had actually interviewed for the OSU job two days earlier. Less than a week after his comments, he was at a press conference in Columbus announcing his hire.

Not a proven liar? Give me a break.
    Yea, I figured that was where you were coming from. I believe a reasonable answer was given and it was confidentiality concerns. For some reason, Geiger was trying to keep it from the press. Still, why could he not say he loved the Musketeers in that position? Do kids not love their parents when they are ready to move onto bigger and better things?

Most of what went on that was construed by some as lying seemed to be a result of the press snooping around and looking for a scoop and Geiger trying to not give it to them until he had his man for sure. Now, three years later, it is still construed as "lying." Ok, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    All my personal feelings on college coaching changes being bad for the sport, the kids, and the reputation of athletics in general and refusal to honor contracts signed in good faith aside, I really draw the line when a guy tells all of his players, to their faces, that he is going to be staying and continuing to coach them and then packs up in the dead of night and heads somewhere else.

Thad Matta looked every X player in the face and told them he wasn't going anywhere. Blink and he's in Columbus. Great for his career, sure...but why would you ever believe a word the guy says when he lies his own team, his kids that he personally recruited?

He is a great coach. He is a great recruiter. He is also, in my mind, a disingenuous worm -- no better than Nick Saban, Mark Dantonio, or any other coach that doesn't have the onions to at least be honest with the people that he said, in some living room long ago, that he'd be there for.
    While I'm not going to further rehash the timeline and the accuracy of the above statements, what occurred is an industry standard. Kids know when they follow a coach to a program that there may be some movement in their four years career. The coaches deal with the flip side on one or two year kids that use his program as a stepping stone to millions. It is an up or out industry and both sides, players and coaches, accept that as circumstances arise, a previous agreement may need to be revised. Long contracts are also very standard for college coaches, and most of them are bought out at some point. There are normally out clauses so a coach can pursue opportunities that come along unpredictably. Does that make all of that philosophically right? I dunno, but in the delicate situation of hiring a successful coach from another program when the person was not actively seeking such a position, which it is documented that Matta was not, OSU approached him, aggressively, calling it lying and deceitful is not really fair, and I'm about as black and white guy as there is.

part of BBN

That's not exactly true, Matt. The fans here do not want to go through any more scandals--in either sport.
    Right on !
    I cant believe the comments some make about "not caring how".
    Most fans have their reasons for wanting changes !
    Last season...the reds were 80-82 an improvement from the previous year yet many want Narron fired.
    Why? You have your reasons.....
    Guess what ? UK fans are the same way and No (!) most dont want it at any cost !

Turn Off Ads?