Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thad Matta and UK...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Thad Matta and UK....

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I mentioned this in the previous thread, but I am starting to wonder what skeletons are hiding in Mr. Matta's closet.

2006-
    Five Star Recruits:
    Greg Oden
    Mike Conley
    Daequan Cook*

Four Star:
    David Lighty*
    Othello Hunter

2007-
    Five Star Recruits:
    Kosta Koufos*

Four Star:
    Jon Diebler*
    Dallas Lauderdale*
    Evan Turner
    Eric Wallace

2008-
    Five Star-
    BJ Mullens*
    William Buford*
    Anthony Crater
    Luke Babbit

Four Star:
    Warren Offutt

* In state recruit.

Either Matta is a great recruiter, or something is going on in Columbus that could put the Buckeyes back on probation by the end of the decade.

While I don't want Matta anywhere near UK, the fact that he said no doesn't mean much because he said that he wasn't up for the Ohio St job either.
    Gee, ya think?

Nah.

Not THE Ohio State University....

They run a CLEAN program....

100% squeaky clean, to the letter of the NCAA law.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Ohio State has all the resources to get top notch basketball talent. They have better facilities than all but a few programs in the nation. It was just a matter of someone coming in and doing it. Thad has done it.
    Let's also not forget Ohio State has boosters with deep deep pockets.

That, and they have a history of NCAA violations for both of their two major sports, Football and Basketball.

Troy Smith got a public slap on the hand with that two game suspension a few games back for accepting money from boosters so the NCAA wouldn't dig deeper into that program, thanks to all the attention brought to it by Maurice Clarett. While I think Mo Clarett isn't a model citizens and has his own issues, there was definitely some truth to what he was saying about the OSU Football program. How much? Therein lies the problem.

Around the same time, the Basketball team gets a big NCAA slap on the wrist thanks to Dan, er I mean Jim O'Brien (sorry, it just seems so natural to blame everything on Dan O'Brien) for him paying a player money.

Thanks to the O'Brien fun, and the attention Clarett was drawing to OSU, AD Andy Geiger left, resigned, quit, c ya. I'm sure some people will ignorantly think that his decision had zero to do with the other two, but I can only shake my head to that.

Andy Geiger resigned b/c of those two incidents.

Still think OSU is a 100% squeaky clean program, and it's the "facilities" drawing young athletes to that collegiate Mecca of Columbus, OH?

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    You beat me to it friend...you beat me to it.
    She is to UK what Jack Nicholsen is to the Lakers.
    Only she's "pretty" !
    Jack Nicholson now, or 1974?

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

That, and they have a history of NCAA violations for both of their two major sports, Football and Basketball.

Troy Smith got a public slap on the hand with that two game suspension a few games back for accepting money from boosters so the NCAA wouldn't dig deeper into that program, thanks to all the attention brought to it by Maurice Clarett. While I think Mo Clarett isn't a model citizens and has his own issues, there was definitely some truth to what he was saying about the OSU Football program. How much? Therein lies the problem.

Around the same time, the Basketball team gets a big NCAA slap on the wrist thanks to Dan, er I mean Jim O'Brien (sorry, it just seems so natural to blame everything on Dan O'Brien) for him paying a player money.

Thanks to the O'Brien fun, and the attention Clarett was drawing to OSU, AD Andy Geiger left, resigned, quit, c ya. I'm sure some people will ignorantly think that his decision had zero to do with the other two, but I can only shake my head to that.

Still think OSU is a 100% squeaky clean program, and it's the "facilities" drawing young athletes to that collegiate Mecca of Columbus, OH?
    So KY's boosters have shallow pockets?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    So KY's boosters have shallow pockets?
    If you had to pay property tax on 1000s of acres, paint all those nice white fences, and feed all those horses you'd know they don't have much left over.

GL

-Troy was busted for accepting money before the ESPN-Clarret thing came to light. The NCAA cleared the football team of the Clarret allegations. Nice Try though.

- I didn't like Jim Obrien one bit. But the money thing with him, is a little overblown. If you believe the reports and his side of the story he gave the player money after he found out he couldn't attend OSU because of previous pro participation. Life in the Slavic republics isn't rainbows and unicorns.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I guess Merriam-Webster is a bit more 'en vogue' than I thought...
    http://reference.aol.com/dictionary?dword=snarky
    Main Entry: snarky
    Function: adjective
    Pronunciation: 'snär-ke
    Etymology: dialect snark to annoy, perhaps alteration of nark to irritate
    : CROTCHETY , SNAPPISH

Hmmm, those last two synonyms could have been substituted just as ably, I suppose.
    Good to see you can use a dictionary AND bold and increase fonts. Those computer classes are working out great for you. That entire post took some advanced html skills. Good thing they have those little buttons.

Re: Thad Matta and UK...

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Good to see you can use a dictionary AND bold and increase fonts. Those computer classes are working out great for you. That entire post took some advanced html skills. Good thing they have those little buttons.
    Hahaha, who could've guessed it, another snarky, condescending post from traderumor! Bravo!

This is going to be the ONLY thing I say in the thread...

Cincinnati people like 2 of 3 teams... They go for their local teams.. X and UC... THen moreless UK.

Lets just say Matta screwed X. But come'on... Its X... When Ohio State comes knocking on your door with everything... Are you going to turn it down to stay down there? I know I wouldn't....

And with what Matta has done with the basketball program at OSU... ALOT of UK fans would love to have him come dress in Blue.... But he won't...

UK Fans keep hoping... You might be able to get Billy D or Lavin to come out of ESPN to coach... Hey... Maybe Jimmmy O can help yah out?
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

If you think Ohio State is alone in that, you are sorely mistaken, and boarderline delusional with hate. Virtually EVERY reputable program in the country is, either knowingly or unknowingly, in violation of NCAA rules right now.

Every program has its own Myron Piggie. I'm not justifying it, I'm just saying that if you hate Ohio State for it, you should hate all college sports as well.

From where I sit, you're just a blind hater that will still be talking about those incidents 50 years, and 7 administrations from now, simply because you feel the need to take an unprovoked shot.
    Last edited by guttle11; 03-28-2007 at 12:10 AM.

How's the saying go? If everyone else jumped off a bridge...

If you're not trying to justify OSU's habits, why make this point at all? We all know other schools have gotten in trouble. That doesn't make one ounce of difference if OSU (or any other school) continues to break the rules. This attitude disgusts me and unfortunately it is one shared by a lot of OSU fans I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    How's the saying go? If everyone else jumped off a bridge...

If you're not trying to justify OSU's habits, why make this point at all? We all know other schools have gotten in trouble. That doesn't make one ounce of difference if OSU (or any other school) continues to break the rules. This attitude disgusts me and unfortunately it is one shared by a lot of OSU fans I know.
    Because this is a thread pertaining to Ohio State basketball and its current coach, and he couldn't help but jump in and take another shot at the programs program's past problems, (and insinuated that more cheating is taking place now) which is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. That attitude disgusts me, and many other OSU fans I know.
    Last edited by guttle11; 03-28-2007 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    If you think Ohio State is alone in that, you are sorely mistaken, and boarderline delusional with hate. Virtually EVERY reputable program in the country is, either knowingly or unknowingly, in violation of NCAA rules right now.

Every program has its own Myron Piggie. I'm not justifying it, I'm just saying that if you hate Ohio State for it, you should hate all college sports as well.

From where I sit, you're just a blind hater that will still be talking about those incidents 50 years, and 7 administrations from now, simply because you feel the need to take an unprovoked shot.
    I've said in the Non-Baseball Chatter forum many times that all major Div I programs in Football and Basketball are all dirty on some level. Obviously, some more than others.

Nothing would bring a bigger smile to my face than to see a report about Duke finally getting busted for some NCAA violation.

It's not that I hate Ohio State as much as I'm amazed by the ignorance of most OSU fans that have the "not my school" syndrome. Ohio State is just one of many "dirty" programs across the country.

UC had its problems, I'm sure XU had its problems, and I know my Syracuse Orangemen had their problems back in the 80s and 90s with athletes being given cars from a local dealership.

I honestly wish that college athletes were paid. That would solve the problems. Athletes generate millions of dollars in revenue for their respective institutions, they should get a piece of the action. Giving them an "education" isn't enough, when the vast majority of your upper eschelon athletes are only at a college or university to improve their pro stock.

I agree that all programs either knowingly or unknowingly have or have had their share of problems. This certainly includes Ohio State. And who is to say that tomorrow there won't be some horrible finding about a booster who did something completely illegal once again. I sure hope not but how can anyone be sure with any program? I think in general that Ohio State seems to be moving in the right direction adminisitratively and that they are trying. IMO it woul dbe foolish with all the focus and scrutiny on this area nowadays for anyone to try to blatantly cheat the system. However there are so many external influences that are so difficult to control (unscrupulous or even well-meaning boosters, naive or desperate or unscrupulous kids).

I tend to side with Highlifeman on his last point about athletes getting paid, in some form anyways. Now that it is a clear violation for anyone to do pretty much anything for the college athlete (to the point of absurdity in some cases, but I understand if an inch is given...), I think there are some special circumstances that need to be considered. However, I still don;t know how much that would stop any blatant cheating, but I think it could help eliminate the offenses committed either unknowingly or with good intentions.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Fuel the fire baby. Screw blue.

A reporter asked Matta a rather lengthy question at his press conference today. The reporter happened to be wearing a Kentucky t-shirt. Here is the exchange that took place between them.

Matta: My first queston is, did you lose a bet today, with the shirt?

Reporter: It's a reminder we're looking for a coach. (laughter in the room, including Matta)

Matta: Oh, you're an alum from there?

Reporter: I graduated from there.

Matta: (spreading his fingers about an inch apart)Then I'll use real small words in this answer.

Turn Off Ads?