Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 79

Thread: Thad Matta and UK...

  1. #16
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I couldn't agree more. That's the same reason that some people in these parts want no part of Calipari.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,605

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I mentioned this in the previous thread, but I am starting to wonder what skeletons are hiding in Mr. Matta's closet.

    2006-
    Five Star Recruits:
    Greg Oden
    Mike Conley
    Daequan Cook*

    Four Star:
    David Lighty*
    Othello Hunter

    2007-
    Five Star Recruits:
    Kosta Koufos*

    Four Star:
    Jon Diebler*
    Dallas Lauderdale*
    Evan Turner
    Eric Wallace

    2008-
    Five Star-
    BJ Mullens*
    William Buford*
    Anthony Crater
    Luke Babbit

    Four Star:
    Warren Offutt

    * In state recruit.

    Either Matta is a great recruiter, or something is going on in Columbus that could put the Buckeyes back on probation by the end of the decade.

    While I don't want Matta anywhere near UK, the fact that he said no doesn't mean much because he said that he wasn't up for the Ohio St job either.
    Make baseless accusations like this often? As if it is either great recruiter or he's cheating? Brilliant, brilliant I say.

  4. #18
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Make baseless accusations like this often? As if it is either great recruiter or he's cheating? Brilliant, brilliant I say.
    Yep, all those years that Roy Williams got those bluechippers....he cheats too.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  5. #19
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,893

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Only time will tell about Matta and his recruiting tactics...Mine is more of a "scratch your head" type of curiosity.

    Baseless accusations be damned...the guy straight up lied to a bunch of people when he took the OSU job. I mean, like, a Nick Saban caliber of lying.

    Lying is deceit. Deceit begets deceit.

    So, if you are UK...a program which has had a rich history of trying to circumvent the rules, you steer clear of anyone who does not pass the smell test. Especially when you just ran out of town a man with an impeccable reputation in Tubby Smith.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  6. #20
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,893

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Yep, all those years that Roy Williams got those bluechippers....he cheats too.
    Uhm...programs also play a large part in recruiting. Historically, do you actually think Ohio State is on par with the basketball programs at Kansas or North Carolina?
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  7. #21
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Make baseless accusations like this often? As if it is either great recruiter or he's cheating? Brilliant, brilliant I say.
    Obviously, if called before a grand jury, I would have nothing to base it from. However, when a coach jumps from the A-10 and reels in the top player in the nation along with a nice supporting cast, you start to take notice.

    When teams become too good too quick and all of the big name recruits are coming to play there, something is usually up.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  8. #22
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Yep, all those years that Roy Williams got those bluechippers....he cheats too.
    I think Blimpie hit the nail on the head, but i'll add another point to this.

    Roy Williams is a proven coach. Fifteen years at Kansas, an 80% winning percentage(third all time NCAA), nine regular season conference titles in thirteen years, and this is just at Kansas.

    And not to mention, who wouldn't want to wear the baby blue?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  9. #23
    Raaaaaaaandy guttle11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Obviously, if called before a grand jury, I would have nothing to base it from. However, when a coach jumps from the A-10 and reels in the top player in the nation along with a nice supporting cast, you start to take notice.

    When teams become too good too quick and all of the big name recruits are coming to play there, something is usually up.
    Ohio State has all the resources to get top notch basketball talent. They have better facilities than all but a few programs in the nation. It was just a matter of someone coming in and doing it. Thad has done it.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

  10. #24
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,124

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Ohio State has all the resources to get top notch basketball talent. They have better facilities than all but a few programs in the nation. It was just a matter of someone coming in and doing it. Thad has done it.
    Yep, you will be hard pressed to find a program with better facilities and the ability to keep improving them. On WLW this morning UK fans were talking about this new 30 million dollar basketball complex they are building. Ohio State already has one, and if you have taken a stroll near the athletic buildings there you will see that they have a habit of improving facilities at a breakneck pace.

    As for the baseless recruiting statements/accusations, this is the most open period ever for exposing fraud. The internet opens the windows into many shady backrooms. If they are doing something wrong they will be caught.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  11. #25
    The wino and I know bucksfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    NW OHIO
    Posts
    3,039

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I mentioned this in the previous thread, but I am starting to wonder what skeletons are hiding in Mr. Matta's closet.

    2006-
    Five Star Recruits:
    Greg Oden
    Mike Conley
    Daequan Cook*

    Four Star:
    David Lighty*
    Othello Hunter

    2007-
    Five Star Recruits:
    Kosta Koufos*

    Four Star:
    Jon Diebler*
    Dallas Lauderdale*
    Evan Turner
    Eric Wallace

    2008-
    Five Star-
    BJ Mullens*
    William Buford*
    Anthony Crater
    Luke Babbit

    Four Star:
    Warren Offutt

    * In state recruit.

    Either Matta is a great recruiter, or something is going on in Columbus that could put the Buckeyes back on probation by the end of the decade.

    While I don't want Matta anywhere near UK, the fact that he said no doesn'tmean much because he said Ihe wasn't up for the Ohio St job either.

    I have stayed out of all the OSU bashing (for the most part) but this is just it. What in the world does this mean?!? I know you wrote "either Mattta is a great recruiter or ...." but come on. I hope everyone finds what they are looking for with OSU hoops (or football or whatever).... Whatever will make you feel happy. This is just silly at this point. The guy built some great recruiting classes off of momentum from a surprisingly successful season and now he's subject to all kinds of baseless accusations.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

  12. #26
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan View Post
    Yeah, ten year old picture, about when UK had a good team too.
    Oh yeah KYRedsFan, this photo taken 5 months ago.
    Ten years hasnt changed her alot,has it?
    Same cant be said for UK though !


  13. #27
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,605

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Only time will tell about Matta and his recruiting tactics...Mine is more of a "scratch your head" type of curiosity.

    Baseless accusations be damned...the guy straight up lied to a bunch of people when he took the OSU job. I mean, like, a Nick Saban caliber of lying.

    Lying is deceit. Deceit begets deceit.

    So, if you are UK...a program which has had a rich history of trying to circumvent the rules, you steer clear of anyone who does not pass the smell test. Especially when you just ran out of town a man with an impeccable reputation in Tubby Smith.
    Airtight case there.

  14. #28
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Airtight case there.
    I dunno why you've gotta be snarky towards Blimpie, tr, b/c I don't think he purported to be making any sort of "case" whatsoever.

    Just a "scratch your head type of curiousity."
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  15. #29
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,124

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I dunno why you've gotta be snarky towards Blimpie, tr, b/c I don't think he purported to be making any sort of "case" whatsoever.

    Just a "scratch your head type of curiousity."
    His scratch your head curiosity was intended to cast a shadow of accusation.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  16. #30
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: Thad Matta and UK....

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    His scratch your head curiosity was intended to cast a shadow of accusation.
    I didn't read it that way.

    Matta is a proven liar>> That's a fact.

    His curiousity is based upon Matta's prior history... HOWEVER, he certainly didn't suppose to know any more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"



Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25