Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry Bonds = Really Nice Guy

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Barry Bonds = Really Nice Guy

Or not
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=61

I drove into Phoenix high on the proximity of a new baseball season and had an enjoyable day at Giants camp, though one prominent player did his best to temper my Arizona enthusiasm.

After visiting the Giants’ minor league complex, I decided to try and catch the end of their game against Oakland with hopes of chatting with Jonathan Sanchez and Tim Lincecum.

One of benefits of spring training is that they open the locker rooms during the game so that reporters can talk with players who are done for the day while the game is still going on. I got to the Giants’ locker room in the seventh inning and fortunately caught up with Sanchez as he was about to leave for the day.

Other than clubhouse attendants prepping for post game, the clubhouse was sparsely populated, though Barry Bonds was conspicuously chatting with a couple of other unidentified men. Let’s be honest, anything Bonds does is conspicuous at this point.

By the time I was done talking to Sanchez, it was pretty much just Bonds and myself in the clubhouse and I figured I would just wait for Lincecum down there as Bonds dressed and ate a sandwich. It is hot in Arizona and it is air-conditioned in the clubhouse, it seemed like an easy choice.

Being fully aware of Bonds’ adversarial relationship with the media, I figured there would be no problems as long as I was minding my business. While I have some experience with big league locker rooms, I am far more comfortable in the minor league locker room where a reporters’ presence is often met with excitement and rarely disdain.

After about 10 minutes of looking everywhere but Bonds’ direction, I heard someone address me from across the room.

“You waiting for someone?”

It was Barry.

“Yeah, Tim Lincecum,” I replied as nonchalantly as I could.

“Well is he pitching?” Bonds asked.

“I don’t think so,” I said.

“If he is not pitching then he is not going to be down here until after the game,” Bonds said.

“The game is almost over, I figured I would just wait here,” I said while not pointing out that Sanchez had not pitched but had left early.

Bonds paused for a moment and I thought it was over.

“Well, you can’t just stand there,” he said firmly with a stern look.

I thought about my options for a couple of seconds. I knew that no one else was bothered by my presence and that it was within my rights as a media member to stand there if I wanted to. However, I also knew that I did not want to end up as the lead story on SportsCenter. I had already spotted ESPN Bonds’ correspondent Pedro Gomez, so I knew it was a possibility. Figuring that escalating the confrontation was not in my best interest, I calmly walked out of the locker room knowing that I could come back in 20 minutes to talk to Lincecum.

Unfortunately, when I walked into the clubhouse moments after the game ended

Lincecum had already dressed and left.

One might say that it was a case of a reporter who should have stood his ground, but it was just as much of a case of this generation’s greatest player living up to his obnoxious reputation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Barry Bonds = Really Nice Guy

I would have left too. Bonds may have gone into roid rage and ripped his head clean off.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would have left too. Bonds may have gone into roid rage and ripped his head clean off.
    Thats an alleged roid rage and may have allegedly ripped his head clean off....

"This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I don't know, If some random dude is just hanging out in what's supposed to be my personal space, I'd be upset, too. It's a different scenario than if he were actually interviewing someone.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. That’s the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I don't know, If some random dude is just hanging out in what's supposed to be my personal space, I'd be upset, too. It's a different scenario than if he were actually interviewing someone.
    Yes and no. He obviously wasn't bothering him. AND... the press does have 100% access to the clubhouse, a rule that I personally hate as the guys don't even have one minute to moan and groan about the game, the other team, or their own game plans when they've gone sour without the media there to hear (and quote) their every word/move.

Thus, the press rule being what it is, Bonds was out of line.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

So the locker room is "Bonds' personal space?" The guy had every right to be there.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The guy is a cancer for the sport. I can't wait until the man is forever gone and forgotten. He is everything the game shouldn't be.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    You mean, as opposed to Pedro Gomez -- who draws a check from Bristol just to stand around hanging in Bonds' personal space?
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Gomez hangs from Bond's very personal space...

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    The guy is a cancer for the sport. I can't wait until the man is forever gone and forgotten. He is everything the game shouldn't be.
    The guy is a cancer period. He's a disgrace to his gender, race, and species.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm disappointed that the guy left. I'm a senior at Ohio State majoring in journalism, and covering major league baseball is my dream job. If i felt it necessary to be in the clubhouse in order to do my job at that particular moment, Mr. Bonds would have had to physically remove me from the clubhouse. He's nothing but a bully that's been pushing people around for years. I can't believe people let that piece of crap push them around.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You mean, as opposed to Pedro Gomez -- who draws a check from Bristol just to stand around hanging in Bonds' personal space?
    There's a difference. Pedro has been around Bonds for a very long time, while the other guy had not. With a guy like Bonds, comfortability is everything.

I realize that members of the media have full access to the clubhouse, but so do the cleaning crew in many office buildings and hotels. I'd be a little weirded out if one of them were standing right in my office doorway. There's far worse things you can use to vilify Barry Bonds.
    Last edited by guttle11; 03-25-2007 at 07:04 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. That’s the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

I'd be careful cincrazy...that forehead makes me think Bonds is genetically linked to the cape buffalo.

Pretty harsh statements there my friend.So does that make me a disgrace for liking one of the best hitters ever to play the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post

Pretty harsh statements there my friend.So does that make me a disgrace for liking one of the best hitters ever to play the game?
    IMO, that doesn't make you a disgrace at all. However I do question your standards.

Turn Off Ads?