Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Franchester and Thom

Franchester and Thom

Was it just me or was anyone else disappointed with the broadcast last night? It was the first I had heard the two together since the first game when it was clear they were happy to be together. However, last night Marty was grumpy from start(piled on Lohse before the game started, at least wait until he stinks it up), Thom seemed to feed off the negativism of Marty and joined the spectacle.

I have liked the addition of Brantley because things have generally stayed more positive when he has been combined with either Marty or Thom.

Marty was on Lohse while Thom decidedly does not like Dunn in the two spot(he campaigned for Gonzalez and his sub 300 OBP to hit there) because "you don't ask Dunn to advance a runner an out"(which makes sense). Heck you shouldn't ask anyone to advance runners with an out(with this Reds staff) except in late game situations. The Reds are going to need a bunch of runs on most nights. The real lineup issue anyway is a 3 hole hitter(Phillips) who has no business hitting there.

There was also a Conine lovefest because he is such an experienced hard nosed player. Just for once I would like to hear some love based on actual objective data, unfortunately from an offensive standpoint the Reds are woefully short of that type of talent.

Hopefully last night was just a bad day for Franchester who didn't like having to do a night road game in spring training. The negativism was way over the top.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Franchester and Thom

I think that the Steve Finley-man love from Thom transferred to Jeff Conine.

I think both of them this year will be a hoot. IMO. I'm almost willing to give them a pass for this year since both are truly enjoying themselves.

I play softball. My dad, who is 56, still plays softball. Usually, since my dad lives out-of-town, about 3-4 times a year plays softball on my team. There is nothing cooler than that.

For that same reason, Marty & Thom have to be on cloud 9.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I am not impressed with Thom and long for the days of the Bad Boy.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Like Marty and Thom and have no problem with the way they call the ball game. Two very good announcers.

Thom has serious man love for the 2001 D-Backs.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    That was an outstanding team

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Why shouldn't he?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Like Marty and Thom and have no problem with the way they call the ball game. Two very good announcers.
    I generally agree, Randy, but Flyer is right about last night- Marty was extremely grumpy, critical and basically unhappy with everything last night, and Thom was egging him on. Steve at least used to just be quiet or try to change the subject. Like Flyer said, maybe it was the night gam eon the road at the end of March thing; I hope so. The only thing Marty perked up on was when talking about his grandson's B-day party.

I'm not a Marty basher. I grew up with his voice, and for me, it's the voice of Reds baseball. But I've not hear him as surly as he was last night. Hopefully a one day thing.
    Last edited by Always Red; 03-28-2007 at 03:36 PM.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    That was an outstanding team
    No doubt, but every broadcast I've heard he gets his "well back in 2001," longing, weepy sound that's not particularly appealing, especially when you're listening to the Phillies and the Reds in 2007.

Other than that and the seemingly random volume fluctuations, I'm cool with it. He definately has some positive things to say.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I did really like Thom and Brantley in the TV booth the other day, it was a very professional break from Georges saccharin.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

I think it's safe to say that both Brennamans share a common vision of how the game of baseball ought to be played.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Doesn't everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Doesn't everyone?
    If it means taking hustle over home runs, putting slap hitting out machines at the top of the order, and running a club like its a retirement home for elderly ballplayers, I'd say "no." In fact, I still say I'd like to see Marty do some "hustling" in his own job before he criticizes ballplayers for not doing it in theirs.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Can't we just enjoy Marty and Thom's above average broadcasting abilities without nitpicking every opinion they throw in a broadcast? They aren't running the team. Narron doesn't have a transistor in the dugout listening to where Thom thinks Gonzalez should bat in the order before making out his line up card.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Can't we just enjoy Marty and Thom's above average broadcasting abilities without nitpicking every opinion they throw in a broadcast? They aren't running the team. Narron doesn't have a transistor in the dugout listening to where Thom thinks Gonzalez should bat in the order before making out his line up card.
    You've been around since 2001. Why in the hell are you surprised?

Thom and Franchester just aren't as enlightened as the average Redszone poster.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?