Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation System Explained

Reputation System Explained

One of the new changes at RedsZone is the addition of the built-in vBulletin Reputation Ranking System. Allow me to explain.

When someone registers as a member at RedsZone they begin with a default reputation of 10. These members are free to read any forum, but cannot yet post at Cincinnati Reds Talk. In order to do so they must reach a reputation of 200. The system level outline is:

Code:
    -50   User is in the Rookie League
    -10   User is in Low-A ball
    0   User is in High-A ball
    10   User is in AA
    50   User is in AAA
    100   User is a bench warmer
    200   User is a pinch hitter
    350   User is a utility player
    500   User is a starter
    750   User is an All Star
    1000   User is a Superstar
    1500   User is an MVP
    2000   User is in the Hall of Fame
    Now, you may notice that there are negative levels. A member may be ranked both positively and negatively. This will allow the community, as an initial level, to moderate itself.

Members are assigned reputation values depending upon the Reputation Power of the member who issues that rank. Only members who can post in Cincinnati Reds Talk can effect reputation.

Reputation Power is derived from multiple factors. Not all members assign the same value. For each year a member has been registered they receive 1 Power-Point. For every 2500 posts a member has made they receive 1 Power-Point. Also, for every 100 reputation points a member has themselves they receive 1 Power-Point. A member must also have made 100 posts at RedsZone to issue any reputation score.

From what Boss and I have seen, most reputation power levels are between 5-7 points, while some are as high as 12-15. What this means is that a member with a power value of 10 can assign 10 positive reputation points or 5 negative reputation points (negative rankings are set at 50% of positive). Also, each member may only make 5 rankings per day and cannot rank the same member twice until they rank 15 other members first.

Lastly, members who can post in Cincinnait Reds Talk can lose that privilege. We all know it takes 200 points to gain entrance to CRT. If a member who achieves (or has) that level drops below 100, they will not be able to post in CRT until they reach 200 points again.

This is a lot of info and a brand-new system, so if you have any questions please ask. Boss and I will observe this process closely and if we see a need to edit any factor, we will do so. Consider this a living document until everything is ironed out.

Thanks!
    GIK & Boss-Hog

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reputation System Explained

Wow, be nice to Krono, he probably has 100 power points

I think we all start at the same point
    Go Gators!

In ranking yes, in power no.

You guys are doing a great job under difficult circumstances.

That said, I think you're weighting post counts too highly. Yes, they should factor in, but I believe that the real contributions to this site happen on the baseball side. Post counts sometimes turn like odometers on the non-baseball side. That doesn't seem right.

Also, I like that you've placed limits on how much voting someone can do against (or for) another poster. That said, 25 votes seems like a lot between re-votes. You're asking members to do a whole lot of voting in order to help new posters move up.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    You guys are doing a great job under difficult circumstances.

That said, I think you're weighting post counts too highly. Yes, they should factor in, but I believe that the real contributions to this site happen on the baseball side. Post counts sometimes turn like odometers on the non-baseball side. That doesn't seem right.

Also, I like that you've placed limits on how much voting someone can do against (or for) another poster. That said, 25 votes seems like a lot between re-votes. You're asking members to do a whole lot of voting in order to help new posters move up.
    I talked it over with GIK and we decided to drop the re-ranking threshold from 25 to 15. We will make further tweaks as needed once we see how the system works out over time.

Redsland, the default setting was 1000 posts. Imagine that! I think we're OK at 2500 for now. We have edited the "re-vote" setting, however. It is now 15 instead of 25.

"Also, each member may only make 5 rankings per day and cannot rank the same member twice until they rank 15 other members first."

Oops! Doube admin post. Shame shame.

Again, if anyone has any other questions...shoot!

Is there a way to know how many points we're giving out other than to figure it manually? Just curious about these things and I'm not sure I want to sit here and figure out the formula to know how many points I just added to someone. Also is there a way to know the exact number of points we have, or do we just go off of the "pinch hitter" etc...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Is there a place we can see the numerical value of our own reputation? If not, could that be enabled?
    /r/reds

If it's not in your Profile, then I don't believe you can determine either figure exactly. If you're curious as to your exact settings shoot me a PM and I'll let you know (please, everyone, don't do this all at once ).

/\
    If you click on your scale you see your points
    Go Gators!

nm

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    /\
    Thank you, Krono.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    /\
    That worked! Thanks, K-man.

My next question: Is there any significance to which post we mark reputation on? Say several people mark a negative reputation to the same post, for instance, do you mods/admins get alerted that the post is problematic?
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?