Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Reputation System Explained

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Reputation System Explained

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    No way to differentiate between different user groups.

Yes - what are everyone's thoughts on that?
    Personally, I'd like to have the ability to see who positive rep'd you (I apologize if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, I haven't browsed back thru to see if it was), I didn't know until yesterday that we weren't using that feature.

I think everyone can use it for different reasons. I plan on using my point to give props to folks who aren't in CRT yet, and I've used my allotment of five every day so far.

I started leaving my SN in the comments field so people can know who is making the props - think it's just more personal that way - especially since I haven't interacted much w/ most of the people I've rep'd so far. I think it fosters a little bit more of a community feeling, but that's just me.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

PS. Whew! Just re-read what I wrote and, even though I believe it that's a whole heck of a lot of work! Just dump the negative votes and skip the rest!
    I like the idea of dumping negatives and making comments mandatory. If you put jibberish, so be it, but i think it will add personal touches to a ranking of a post.

The problem I see with the negs so far is that there are a bunch of polyannas here who object to any post with the slightest bit of edge to it. TOO PROVACATIVE!! God forbid anybody use the internet to say anything provacative. Particularly when their team has lost seven in a row. Other than that i think the new system has been interesting (i've even gotten some positive votes).

OK, I'll go with making comments mandatory. What I ment was drop the 'appeal' part. That's just too much work for the mods over a 1/2 point.

Rem

Personally, I like the negs. I've done one so far and I left my name and why I did it too. That's another reason why I think we should have the names of who rated you available. Accountability.

I don't really give a rats ass what you do with the rating system. I'm just so happy to see the board improve so much that I can't put it into words.

I feel badly for those caught in the middle, the good posters or semi-lurkers who posted very infrequently, but never, ever caused any problems. On the other hand, it seems to have caused a lot of these guys to step up and post, and their posts have been across the board great. I really believe that a lot of people were intimidated before and were reluctant to post, and now that they are kind of being forced to, we're seeing a lot of great baseball knowledge.

I'm using all my votes for posters who have the balls to post now when they didn't post a lot before, but obviously love this board. You can tell from the tone of their posts that they want to be a part of all this, and that's all I need to know.

I never, ever would have thought that I'd ever be interested in posting on a message board until I got hooked on the old Cincy board, and then RedsZone. It was such a blessing to find a community of people who loved baseball and loved the Reds and wanted to hang out and talk about it. I don't want to be part of excluding kindred spirits from that experience.

So, even though I did vote today a negative vote for someone who literally asked for it, I won't do it again. All my votes will be for people who love baseball, and want to be a part of a community of fans.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I mentioned this before in one of these threads, but I will share it here as well, because I think its somewhat valid to this thread.

I have received 1 negative rep. I received it on a post that I made in response to a post Puffy had made. I was being 100% sarcastic in the comment I made to Puffy and someone "dinged" me for it. Puffy knew that I was totally joking around with him, but the person that "dinged" me for it, obviously did not. To make a long story short, that's the only problem I have with these negative points. Not everyone understands the relationships between the person that made a post, and the response that follows, and could take it out of context. It's really a tough decision. There's good and bad to either way you decide to go, and I trust that after reading all of the responses you've received so far on this, and future ones, that you'll make the correct decision for all of us.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I mentioned this before in one of these threads, but I will share it here as well, because I think its somewhat valid to this thread.

I have received 1 negative rep. I received it on a post that I made in response to a post Puffy had made. I was being 100% sarcastic in the comment I made to Puffy and someone "dinged" me for it. Puffy knew that I was totally joking around with him, but the person that "dinged" me for it, obviously did not. To make a long story short, that's the only problem I have with these negative points. Not everyone understands the relationships between the person that made a post, and the response that follows, and could take it out of context. It's really a tough decision. There's good and bad to either way you decide to go, and I trust that after reading all of the responses you've received so far on this, and future ones, that you'll make the correct decision for all of us.
    Point is RL, those of us who are already at 200, shouldn't care one bit what are scores are, who rated us, etc etc. We're already in.

/\
    Echoing what Red Leader said...

I've been dinged down twice today, both posts made in jest, joke posts really, yet someone used one their 5 times to ding me down for it, I can't figure out why, I didn't flame the Reds or a member of this forum

Nothing is without a downside, make people know who neged them and it could lead to neg/pos wars like LF said, just dumping the neg part seems to me like the best option, but of course I'll support whatever you decide to do..the forum does seem quite a lot better lately.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Point is RL, those of us who are already at 200, shouldn't care one bit what are scores are, who rated us, etc etc. We're already in.
    Well then we should go back to green dots instead of a number, it's going to be hard for people not to notice their number decreasing, then wonder what they did
    Go Gators!

I think you miss my point KR. Don't care about the number. If your over 200, I think the number is irrelevent.

The whole point of the system is to gain the ability to post in the CRT forum. Once you're there, it's like the Hotel California. You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Well then we should go back to green dots instead of a number, it's going to be hard for people not to notice their number decreasing, then wonder what they did
    How about we declare a hiatus on all discussion about the reputation system for a few weeks so we can see how it shakes out

I really think once the excitement dies down a bit the usefullness of both the positive and negative ratings will be evident (one way or another). People are going nuts rating things now, but as time goes on it will be the truly exceptional (negatively and positively) that will be rated.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I understand that, really I do, but to me it isn't "in" vs "out".

Just because I have 200+ points doesn't mean I can trash someone, or their posts, or post total crap myself. There are levels above "200", that mean something to me. They tell me that I am adding informative information that made someone learn something, made them laugh, something where I added something "positive" to someone's experience on this board, and to get a negative over something stupid like being sarcastic to one of my "best friends" on this board, Puffy, is wrong, IMO. I shouldn't be given positive points unless I earned them, and I shouldn't be given negative points unless I deserve those either.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I understand that, really I do, but to me it isn't "in" vs "out".

Just because I have 200+ points doesn't mean I can trash someone, or their posts, or post total crap myself. There are levels above "200", that mean something to me. They tell me that I am adding informative information that made someone learn something, made them laugh, something where I added something "positive" to someone's experience on this board, and to get a negative over something stupid like being sarcastic to one of my "best friends" on this board, Puffy, is wrong, IMO. I shouldn't be given positive points unless I earned them, and I shouldn't be given negative points unless I deserve those either.
    its peer review. All that means is that a poster(s) didn't like a post you made. Its their right to feel that way and now there is a way for them to let their feelings be known. I think that is a good thing. The things that trigger a response like that right now are fairly mundane. The longer people are exposed to ratings, the more severe of a post it will take to merit notice.

Lets let this thing settle in for a bit before changing anything drastically. So far I think the results are positive.

[QUOTE=RFS62]I don't really give a rats ass what you do with the rating system.[QUOTE]

Can we say ass on this forum, even if the ass in question does belong to a rat?

I'm using all my votes for posters who have the balls to post now when they didn't post a lot before, but obviously love this board.
    Can we say balls on this forum, except for those of the baseball kind?

So, even though I did vote today a negative vote for someone who literally asked for it, I won't do it again. All my votes will be for people who love baseball, and want to be a part of a community of fans.
    Well, if that person literally asked for it then you did them a favor. If you wanted to 'punish' that person then a positive vote would have done the trick. Except if that person were using reverse psychology, in which case you would have neged them so that their ploy to get positive points was snarfed out. OTOH, if that person were using reverse-reverse psychology....ummmm, nevermind. :

Rem

Disclaimer: see post 157 in this thread.

Turn Off Ads?