Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I just made the switch to DTV... OUCH!!!

Re: I just made the switch to DTV... OUCH!!!

The only guy that seemed to mention a better deal than you didn't appear to get the HD DVR.

You did fine. You got a leased HD DVR for -$40. The downside is you don't own it. The upside is if/when it breaks.... you don't own it.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am thinking about making the switch but I have one question. According to Directv you need a phone line connected to your Directv receivers. Do you have to have a phone line connected to every receiver? The problem for me is I don't have phone lines near any of my televisions. I just was curious if anyone was able to order thing like Extra Innings or Sunday Ticket without having the receivers connected to a phone line.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn View Post
    From what I read on their site early last week you could lease or purchase the boxes for the other rooms...I assume for $300 TexasRed purchased them?

I'm still on the fence. I love my cable internet...Zoomtown sucks :thumbdown

I was hoping our cable company was going to be bought out and it would then carry the EI package.

I could see how I do until the all star break...I think the EI package still gives a nice price slash in July!
    Speak for yourself, I've never had better.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    I am thinking about making the switch but I have one question. According to Directv you need a phone line connected to your Directv receivers. Do you have to have a phone line connected to every receiver? The problem for me is I don't have phone lines near any of my televisions. I just was curious if anyone was able to order thing like Extra Innings or Sunday Ticket without having the receivers connected to a phone line.
    They say you do, but I've confirmed you really don't. Check out dbstalk.com for satellite info, it's a good board.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    You do not have too have a phone line but you will have to make a phone call to order pay per views ect.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

i've had directv for 5 years and never had a phone line hooked up. also you get one box with your service but every box after that is 4.99 per month. directv is a little expensive compared to other services but i wouldn't trade it for anything. being a reds, bengals and xavier fan here in the toledo area it was a must to have.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I've got a question about DTV say the box is in one room and there aren't any other boxes in the house. So will the other rooms have to watch what's on the other room?
    As toledo just pointed out, each additional box is $4.99 a month. So, if you only have the one box, all you can do is split the signal coming out and let every TV watch the same satellite channel. There is an exception if you have an over-the-air antenna, though. One room can watch the antenna (CBS, Fox, NBC, ABC, etc.) while the other room is watching whatever is being tuned on the satellite.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Speak for yourself, I've never had better.
    I believe I was, but thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba View Post
    You do not have too have a phone line but you will have to make a phone call to order pay per views ect.
    Nope--you can order online too.

Trust me, you WILL like DTV better than cable!

And try living smack damn in the middle of Cardinal land--you think it's hard to get any Reds cames in Texas? Try getting ANY other MLB news from the TV or print media here! They can't say ANYTHING nice about any other team, all you get are slams and bad news about other teams, and you're lucky you *might* get the SCORES on the nightly news between all the Puhols and Cardinal gushing from the sportscasters....

Foxfire123

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    They say you do, but I've confirmed you really don't. Check out dbstalk.com for satellite info, it's a good board.
    We don't even have a land line--nothing but the cell phones and our DTV works fine. I order any PPV on-line.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans View Post
    Oh, I should also add that we have had two BRUTAL hail storms this week and I lost DTV for about 1 min, once. All-in-all, rock solid and I'm thrilled
    Brutal is right. This looks to be a very bad storm season in the panhandle. My Dish got knocked out for about 15 minutes.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The only guy that seemed to mention a better deal than you didn't appear to get the HD DVR.

You did fine. You got a leased HD DVR for -$40. The downside is you don't own it. The upside is if/when it breaks.... you don't own it.
    Yea, mine broke 6 months after getting it and they took that opportunity to extend my obligation another 6 months. They said they had no way of entering a 'new' DVR into their system without the mandatory 2-year obligation. After I made a fuss and had them get their 'supervisor', they agreed to give me free programming which exceeded the additional cost of the added 6 months.
    On the whole, I would never have gotten DirecTV if it weren't for the 'NFL Sunday Ticket' and 'MLB Extra Innings' packages. But that is because my basic cable is free. (paid for by the HOA, which costs $60 per month) I still have basic cable as my backup on 2 TVs and have had to use it 2 or 3 times in the past 9 months. The sucky part is that when there is a bad storm, that's when I'm most likely to want to vegetate in front of the TV.
    That said, I LOVE being able to watch the Bengals and Reds whenever they play... Now if I could just get someone to build a Gold Star or Skyline within a mile or two, life would be just about perfect.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

How does the picture quality compare, cable to Directv? Anyone have HD?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    How does the picture quality compare, cable to Directv? Anyone have HD?
    On my TV, a Phillips that I bought in 1998, the picture on DirectTV is much better. I can't vouch for HD though.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I have 2 non-HD TVs and one HDTV. The picture quality on the regular sets is much better on DirecTV than it is/was on cable, but I suspect it's because I've gone from an analog signal to digital. I had digital cable w/HD on the HDTV before I switched to the DirecTV and there really is no discernable difference ... if there's a difference, I can't see it with MY eyes.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?