Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just made the switch to DTV... OUCH!!!

I just made the switch to DTV... OUCH!!!

I thought some of you who may be in the same boat as myself might be interested in my experience switching from cable to DTV. I have had the same cable company for about seven years and have all my services through them (cable with HD+DVR, phone, and internet). They are a smaller company and have always given me great customer service.... To say I was miffed at the new Extra Inning deal with DTV is an understatement. I really was not interested in satellite service, but living in Texas and living for Reds baseball meant I was going to have to make the deal with the devil or miss baseball......

Well, when all was said and done to get the same thing I have now with cable (two HD boxes w/DVR and HBO) is going to cost me $300 down for the boxes and about $10 bucks a month less after the first year. The first year I will get about $30 off per month..... So, I guess in the end it, it's pretty much a wash. Still, I can't help feeling a bit swindled over it all:thumbdown

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I just made the switch to DTV... OUCH!!!

So they charged you $300, and are reducing your bill by $360 over the first year, and after that you'll only be paying $10 a month less than before?

Wow what a ripoff.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Really? Direct TV just cost me 65$ out of pocket the day of. That was it. They put the satelitte on my roof and voila! Three rooms..haha..GOt the EI package as well

All in all I am paying maybe 50$ a month..(90$ for four months when I get billed for the EI)
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Well, with 2 HD/DVR's it's going to cost you out of pocket. The difference is with cable you returned the boxes, with directv, you own them.

So they charged you $300, and are reducing your bill by $360 over the first year, and after that you'll only be paying $10 a month less than before?

Wow what a ripoff.
    Today 06:43 PM

That's my point. It's not a ripoff if you're only looking at the money aspect of the deal. Like I said, it's pretty much a wash $$$ wise. My problem is; I don't have a choice if I want to watch the Reds more than the few times a year when they play the 'Stos...... Sorry, but I'm a guy who likes to have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Well, with 2 HD/DVR's it's going to cost you out of pocket. The difference is with cable you returned the boxes, with directv, you own them.

That's what I thought, but the guy informed me that I don't really own the boxes... It's a users fee (or some such nonsense).

Senor Votto

I've got a question about DTV say the box is in one room and there aren't any other boxes in the house. So will the other rooms have to watch what's on the other room?

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I've got a question about DTV say the box is in one room and there aren't any other boxes in the house. So will the other rooms have to watch what's on the other room?
    They give you a box for every room, all ya gotta do is ask. :
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    OH No You don't Own them, you lease them. The per box charge after the first one is a bit less than cable, but if you leave DTV, you have to return them or be billed a rather hefty fee. You also are tied into a 2 year commitment with DTV. I have them only because of NFL and now MLB :-(. I did however also keep cable as a backup. When it rains hard you will lose your signal for a bit. Both have their advantages. DTV is less monthly but cable offers on-demand and more movie channels. DTV offers sports lovers what they MUST have. Football and Baseball, and you can bet they will go after The NBA and Hockey next.

Well, after an ordeal with their customer service, I got the Premier package w/ HD channels, DVR service, the whole kit 'n kaboodle for $46 the first 3 months, $65 a month thru month 10, and $100 a month from there out, if I keep all the premier channels.

I did pay for the HDDVR upfront, but overall, I'm happy to be back w/ D*. Also, I still have my older 2 DirectTiVo's so I still get the Tivo Interface on those 2 as well.

This compared to the $190 a month I was shelling out for cable. Yeah, I'm happy.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    They give you a box for every room, all ya gotta do is ask. :
    Ahhh I'm getting it in a few days. Thanks for clearing it up.

From what I read on their site early last week you could lease or purchase the boxes for the other rooms...I assume for $300 TexasRed purchased them?

I'm still on the fence. I love my cable internet...Zoomtown sucks :thumbdown

I was hoping our cable company was going to be bought out and it would then carry the EI package.

I could see how I do until the all star break...I think the EI package still gives a nice price slash in July!

No, for a new HD DVR at $300, they are on a Lease.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Ahhh I'm getting it in a few days. Thanks for clearing it up.
    No biggie. It's what I'm here for
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Update:

Got this last weekend and the installer was awesome. He set up my dish on a non-ground penetrating stand in my backyard, held down by 4 cinder blocks. He then did a helluva great job running 4 new cables (following the existing cables under the overhang of the house) to the TV's and instead of doing a wall-fish, since the TV's are near the outer walls, just drilled holes near the existing cable came thru.

He did a GREAT job and also told me that the protection plan ($5.99 a month) is not worth it. If my DirectTivo (DVR40) that I'm using for my bedroom TV ever dies, or if I decide that I prefer the DirectTV interface vs Tivo, call and get the protection plan for one month, then give him a call (he left his cell #) and he'll come out and call DTV and let them know that my Tivo died and he'll replace it with a R15 (Direct TV DVR) free. He also told me about getting an OTA antenna and if I want, get all the parts and he'll come install it for free. Good stuff!

Overall, a great experience and I tipped him $50 for doing such a great job.

Not to mention that I got the Premier Package w/ HD's & DVR service for $46 the first 3 months, $65 thru month 10, then either $102/month from there out, or drop the package down to whatever I want.

Thanks for all the help and I'm a happy guy.

Oh, I should also add that we have had two BRUTAL hail storms this week and I lost DTV for about 1 min, once. All-in-all, rock solid and I'm thrilled

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn View Post
    From what I read on their site early last week you could lease or purchase the boxes for the other rooms...I assume for $300 TexasRed purchased them?

I'm still on the fence. I love my cable internet...Zoomtown sucks :thumbdown

I was hoping our cable company was going to be bought out and it would then carry the EI package.

I could see how I do until the all star break...I think the EI package still gives a nice price slash in July!
    No, it wasn't a puchase it is a lease

It sounds like there is some negotiating going on too. Some of the others who have replyed to this thread seem to have gotten a much better deal than I did...... I wish I would have known that earlier.

Turn Off Ads?