Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question: Is the goal to win ballgames, or to play the guys who make the most money?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question: Is the goal to win ballgames, or to play the guys who make the most money?

I know it should seem obvious, but in MLB today, it really doesn't seem to catch on. You see guys like Eric Milton and Juan Castro who have better, cheaper options behind them getting guaranteed spots on a roster just because of the amount of money that they are making. I sincerely doubt that either of these two guys will be very instrumental in helping the team win ballgames, and maybe, especially in Little Miltie's case, may actually cost the team more victories than they would directly impact. So here's the question, with guaranteed contracts in baseball, if there is a track record where a guy has shown you that he's not going to be very good, and goes out and gets rocked in spring training, doesn't it make sense to cut your losses and give him his release? He's going to make his money regardless, but wouldn't you rather have someone in his place who gives your team a better chance at winning than he does? Shouldn't that be a policy of a competitive team? Or maybe I'm crazy.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: Question: Is the goal to win ballgames, or to play the guys who make the most mon

I think all of the PC media reporters are scared to ask the question in fear they might not get to be a part of the good old boys club.

That is another reason why the current NFL system is successful. If you stink, you are released.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Re: Question: Is the goal to win ballgames, or to play the guys who make the most mon

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I think all of the PC media reporters are scared to ask the question in fear they might not get to be a part of the good old boys club.

That is another reason why the current NFL system is successful. If you stink, you are released.

Yeah, or if you get crippled on the job, you get released too.

The NFL system may be successful for the owners, but it's brutal for the players in that regard.

The average career is far too fleeting, in either sport. I'm all for guaranteed contracts. It's a damn shame they don't have them in the NFL.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

The goal is definitely to win games, but at the same time I can understand why an owner or GM wouldn't just want to eat a bad contract. As far as Milton goes, Wayne and BobC wouldn't look that bad for letting him go since he wasn't signed on their watch, its just a matter of how much money they're really willing to spend to win.

I think they feel they are stuck with Milton. I think it's possible if he doesn't show improvement by June he could be DFAd. Castro is another story. Wayne was the one who traded for him and signed him to a 2 year deal with an option for a third. Relatively speaking he doesn't make a lot of money. I think it's crystal clear that they feel Castro has value as a backup infielder and possiby a mentor to EE and even Gonzo. Let's face it, this team isn't exactly teeming with Hispanics. I doubt EE has mastered the English language yet. Castro can translate for him and perhaps even be a buddy. I'd prefer someone who is a backup infielder to have a better stick and make less money but Castro's salary isn't keeping Wayne from bringing someone in who makes big money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think they feel they are stuck with Milton. I think it's possible if he doesn't show improvement by June he could be DFAd. Castro is another story. Wayne was the one who traded for him and signed him to a 2 year deal with an option for a third. Relatively speaking he doesn't make a lot of money. I think it's crystal clear that they feel Castro has value as a backup infielder and possiby a mentor to EE and even Gonzo. Let's face it, this team isn't exactly teeming with Hispanics. I doubt EE has mastered the English language yet. Castro can translate for him and perhaps even be a buddy. I'd prefer someone who is a backup infielder to have a better stick and make less money but Castro's salary isn't keeping Wayne from bringing someone in who makes big money.
    Chip R,

Great minds think alike. I thought I was the only one around these parts to have an appreciation for Castro.

However, the question goes begging to my fellow RedsZoners ........

Since Richie Aurilia is gone, will Juan Castro resume his old slot as the "RedsZone #1 Whipping Boy" for the 2007 season??? Maybe we we should have an election???
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 03-25-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post
    Since Richie Aurilia is gone, will Juan Castro resume his old slot as the "RedsZone #1 Whipping Boy" for the 2007 season??? Maybe we we should have an election???
    My default setting is Gary Majewski, but if he starts the season on the DL, that might open a spot.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post
    Chip R,

Great minds think alike. I thought I was the only one around these parts to have an appreciation for Castro.

However, the question goes begging to my fellow RedsZoners ........

I'm not so sure I'd say I appreciate him. I don't have a problem with him if he stays in his defined role. However, with Narron managing you just don't know. If he's getting 3-4 starts a week and nobody is hurt, there's a problem.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    However, with Narron managing you just don't know. If he's getting 3-4 starts a week and nobody is hurt, there's a problem.
    I just shuddered, knowing that's a realistic possibility

Turn Off Ads?