Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's your game seven starter?

Who's your game seven starter?

This question is twofold. You're the manager, and your team has just managed to win game six of the world series to force a deciding game seven. If you had the choice of any pitcher currently in the major leagues at their current performance level, which pitcher would you want on the hill for your team?

If you had the choice of any pitcher in MLB history to start your game seven for you, which pitcher would you want going, and at what point of their career would you like to have them?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Who's your game seven starter?

This is a pretty tough call. I'd have to go with John Smoltz of the 90's. He was there pretty much every year and consistently performed well.

As far as with a guy currently on the top of his game, I'd probably pick Johan Santana. He's just plain filthy and I'd be confident in him going out there and getting me outs.

Johan Santana. It isn't really close.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Among active pitchers, I would go with Johan Santana.
    Any pitcher in major league history: Sandy Koufax, 1963-66. How great was Koufax? In the 1965 World Series, after shuting out the Twins in game five, Koufax came bacl in game seven on only two days rest and threw another shutout. In 1963 and 1964 combined, given three runs to work with, Koufax was 9-0; given just two runs to work with, he was 6-3; and given only one run to work with, he was 3-1---this was a pitcher's era, but nobody else pitched liked that at the time. His World Series ERA was 0.95. On Sept. 9, 1965, his Dodgers desperately needing a win in the NL pennant race, LA was only able to provide Koufax with one hit, a Lou Johnson HR--no matter, as Koufax responded with a perfect game and LA won, 1-0.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Senor Votto

Santana would be my choice also

Current level, Santana. All time, Pedro '99-'00.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Currently it would have to be Santana. All-time I would probably go with Clemens circa 1984-2006.

Can't argue with Santana.

Post 1960 short list: Gibson, Koufax, Drysdale, Seaver, Clemens, Pedro

Additional question: Who would you want to close it?
    Current: Detroit's pen collectively?
    All Time: Rivera

Can he be stopped?

Rijo in 1990 form. Sure there were better pitchers, but I'm a sucker for the hometown guy.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Walter Johnson

Jose Contreras
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Walter Johnson
    I was going to say Johnson too, anyone who can throw 95 to 100mph when others were only throwing 85mph in that era is dominating. I do think Satchel Paige is the man for this honor I just think he had more pitches and I loved his flare for the game the crowd would be electric.

Todays pitchers, I go with Clemens he still throws the heat and that splitter is unstoppable
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 03-25-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Walter Johnson, 1913
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Jose Contreras
    Good one.

I'd go with Roy Oswalt. He blew me away against St. Louis in 2005...something about him just says to me that he's going to be a huge postseason pitcher given the chance. Great stuff and quietly tenacious. I absolutely adore Roy Oswalt, apart from his Reds-killing. If Houston starts to tank over the next couple of years -- I'm still afraid of them, but they're not the best organization -- I hope he ends up someplace where he gets many cracks at the postseason.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Now, I'd say Santana.

All time, Gibson in 1968.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?