Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Narron gets his way with Jr.

Narron gets his way with Jr.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...3/1082/SPT0101

BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. - Jerry Narron won. The Reds manager got Ken Griffey Jr. on the field and playing right field in time to have him out there for Opening Day.

That was the objective all along.

I'm not going to pretend to know all that went on behind closed doors, but Griffey's assertion that the switch from center field to right field was no big deal is horse hockey.

But Narron stuck to the plan, and Griffey acquiesced.

Griffey, by the way, went 2-for-4 with a double and made a couple routine plays in right field Saturday in the Reds' 7-0 win over Philadelphia.

When Griffey couldn't play the first three weeks of spring because of a lingering hand injury, Narron could have scrapped the plan for the switch to right and played him in center. He didn't do it for one reason: He didn't think it was best for the team.

The other factor here is the people above Narron, general manager Wayne Krivsky and CEO Bob Castellini, gave him the authority to make the call. There was no going over Narron's head - something that often happened to managers in the previous regime.

Narron didn't take the biggest decision of his Reds managerial tenure lightly.

"It's something that's been talked about a long time," he said. "I'm a fan of the game. I love the game. I know the history of the game."

"I understand what it means when someone's played one position for 17, 18 years," Narron added.

"That part of it is difficult."

In the end, the decision came down to the fact that Narron believes Ryan Freel is a better center fielder than Griffey at this stage of his career.

"The baseball part of it, I just had to strictly go on what I thought was best for our club," Narron said. "My job is to do what's best for the team, or what I think is best for the team. I'm not taking it lightly. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I talked to managers I have a lot of respect for, past and present. To a man, everybody said: 'Do what you feel is best for the Cincinnati Reds.' That's what I'm always going to do."

Narron gets beat up on a nightly basis on talk radio and Internet fan forums for various moves. Double switches and making out the lineup are a small part of what makes a manager successful or unsuccessful.

"Managing would be easy - I shouldn't say easy - but it would be easier if you could play it like a video game," Narron said. "There's a lot to it. It's not a video game. We're dealing with different personalities. We're dealing with huge egos at times, not all the time."

Egos are as much a part of baseball as batting averages and ERAs.

"You don't get to this level without having a lot of pride, a lot of desire and being a great competitor," Narron said. "That's not just Junior - I'm talking about everybody."

It's pretty clear that Griffey preferred to stay in center. Narron said the Reds were willing to try to that - until time ran out.

That's when Narron forced the issue. First, he said Griffey was going to have to play some games in spring or start the season on the disabled list. Then he said those games would be in right field.

Saturday probably was the drop-dead date for Griffey to play if he didn't want to start the season on the DL.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Narron gets his way with Jr.

Typical HIT PIECE by Faye. Does anybody at the Enquirer ever "proof read" his crap before before putting it to bed? He always seems to intersparce quotes around his own line of thinking.
    PDM

I'm not going to pretend to know all that went on behind closed doors, but Griffey's assertion that the switch from center field to right field was no big deal is horse hockey.
    Saturday probably was the drop-dead date for Griffey to play if he didn't want to start the season on the DL.
    I'm curious if these two quotes are kind of related, or if he is alluding to them being related.

Lately John Fay appears to have decided to shed his former skin as a front office line-toer, and instead become something closer to Creative Director: Wild Assertion Theater.

I wonder how Hal's taking it.
    Makes all the routine posts.

It seems like Fay is going out of his way to make Griffey look like a selfish player who doesn't care what's best for the team. "I'm not going to pretend to know...BUT" Yeah, that's fine reporting.

No sources quoted either that give the reader any idea upon what this assertion is based other than general observations, a feeling, dreams, hallucinations, whatever.

No one enjoys getting older and many people (especially Hall of Fame athletes) find it very difficult to admit they can't do what they used to be able to do when they were younger. All that matters to me is that Griffey IS in right field and is doing what is best for the team defensively and hopefully for his durability as well.

I can sit here myself and guess that maybe Griffey was not playing because he was protesting a position change. If Fay didn't have the courage to quote whoever or whatever this assertion was based on, he shouldn't have written the article.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Fay can read it anyway he wants.
    In the end, neither Jr nor Narron really took their case to the press (just a few subtle hints here and there).
    That's a credit to both of them.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Does anybody really believe Griffey is going to let Jerry Narron make him do anything he doesn't want to do????

I didn't think so.

This is all about appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalls View Post
    Does anybody really believe Griffey is going to let Jerry Narron make him do anything he doesn't want to do????

I didn't think so.

This is all about appearances.
    I think so, after all, Narron is the boss.

Although it is a bit of a bizarro universe in professional sports where the boss makes less money than the guys he manages.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Whatever the case is....whomever is happy or whomever is not...the right decision was made.

End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    End of story.
    You don't believe that, do you?

:ughmamoru
    Makes all the routine posts.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    You don't believe that, do you?

:ughmamoru
    Not really.

I have to agree that there has been a change in John Fay, not necessarily for the better, although that's not saying much, IMO. It seems anymore, particularly with Junior, that he is intent on mixing things up. I don't know Griff snubbed him sometime or if somehow he believes his sole purpose as a reporter is to stir things up (sort of in the same perverted way Bill Cunningham and his ilk pretend like they're presenting entertainmnet - damn the consequences).

One doesn't have to toe the company line to be a good reporter, but it's coming off as rather boorish. Some correctly noted that there is no basis given in the column (and at least the Enquirer had the good sense to at least tag this piece as "analysis" - hence eliminating the general neutrality of the reporter). Maybe Griffey's good to his word that it's no big deal. And I think there has been some face saving etc involved here. Clubs do defer to long time veterans but still do what's best for the club. I think Fay's ticked that this isn't being done with some dramatic detail, film at 11:00 (or bold headline in the morning, for a newspaper).

Ahh the writers have their early season drum to beat.

"Reds struggle, should JR move back to CF?"
    "Freel commits error, should JR move back to CF?"
    "Milton beaten all over the park, would JR in CF have made it better?"
    Go Gators!

John Fay is a tool.

He claims he doesn't know what went on, but then assumes and writes what he believes went on, despite claims going the opposite direction from both Narron and Griffey.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    John Fay is a tool.

He claims he doesn't know what went on, but then assumes and writes what he believes went on, despite claims going the opposite direction from both Narron and Griffey.
    Thats why I really don't stop at once source for any information. I always read two to three articles, if more than one share the same story then its normally true.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?