Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Samuel Adams: World of Beer

Re: Samuel Adams: World of Beer

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, read it too.

My beer snob mentality aligns a beer as mass produced if it finds its way to bottles, and definitely if I can buy it in an airport.

But that's me
    Right on.

I haven't been buying much in the last year now that I'm keeping myself supplied with ale. It makes a difference when you can keep it at the same temp and when you can trust the aging.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I do like Sam Adams, but its not nearly as good as Samuel L. Jackson.

IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Right on.

I haven't been buying much in the last year now that I'm keeping myself supplied with ale. It makes a difference when you can keep it at the same temp and when you can trust the aging.
    Yes it does, I find that I like the local guys who have proved to me they are consistent, they like to play with the hops around here, but I've pinned my flag on the local guys IPA, it's hoppy and about 5.7%... pedro likes the bigger version, it's less bitter, bigger buzz 6.8 % Three of those can give you a headache and get the wife mad at your less then charming nature.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Right on.

I don't have the space in my house at the moment for homebrewing (if I could ever get rid of some junk in the basement I would), but there's a place in the Cleveland area called The Brew Kettle that let's you brew your own. I called last week to set up an appointment, but they're booked through August already.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Porkchop Sandwiches

Sam Adams needs to open a microbrewery/ restaurant like Great Lakes has in Ohio City, in Cincinnati. Get Christian Moerlein to follow suit, and with some subsidized microbreweries along with the reopening of the Barrelhouse as a pub, and maybe even another Great Lakes; Cincinnati could have a great brewery district.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I drink more Sammy than anything. I've had ten of those listed. I really like the Cherry Wheat and Hefewiezen. Old Fizziwig was pretty good. The light beer is outstanding for a light.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I like Sam Adams quite a lot and if I still lived back east I'd probably drink more of it. As it is I don't drink it a whole lot b/c most of the beer I drink is on tap and there are just so many more choices out here. Portland is pretty much "Beer Heaven".
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    Sam Adams needs to open a microbrewery/ restaurant like Great Lakes has in Ohio City, in Cincinnati. Get Christian Moerlein to follow suit, and with some subsidized microbreweries along with the reopening of the Barrelhouse as a pub, and maybe even another Great Lakes; Cincinnati could have a great brewery district.
    They used to have one in downtown Boston, but it didn't stick. The space was a bit cramped and supposedly the food was only so-so. It also didn't brew on premises, which was a bit of a problem.

I'm a huge Sammy fan. Boston Lager does everything my tastebuds want from a beer. I'm a big fan of microbrews, but I've rarely had one as good as Sammy Lager. It may be the Heinz Ketchup of beer.

Lambics can be hit and miss. Done right it should taste like a fruity champagne. Done wrong and it's like drinking a fruit roll-up. I haven't had the Cranberry Lambic, so I don't know where that one falls on the scale. If you're looking for a "beer" then you'll probably be put off by a lambic.

The Sammy Triple Bock is interesting. It tastes more like a brandy. In fact, I recommend using a snifter for it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

They still have the brewpubs in the airport there in Boston?
    School's out. What did you expect?

WAGS

boston lager is great stuff, i don't like it as much as i like shiner bock though.

I likethe Boston Lager and Sam Adams Light. I really haven't tried any of the rest.

Lately I've been drinking different variations of Great Lakes, as well as Christian Moerlien.

Anyone ever had Yuengling, which is out of Pennsylvania, and is the oldest beer brewery in the U.S.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuengling
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I likethe Boston Lager and Sam Adams Light. I really haven't tried any of the rest.

Lately I've been drinking different variations of Great Lakes, as well as Christian Moerlien.

Anyone ever had Yuengling, which is out of Pennsylvania, and is the oldest beer brewery in the U.S.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuengling

I have a sixer in my fridge right now, it is one of my favorite beers.

I've heard rumors that Christian Moerlein wants to get brewery space in Cincinnati. The Hofbrauhaus in Newport is also a brewery. However, although the original intent was to have it be self sufficient, it has proven so popular that the brewery lacks the capacity to fill its own needs, so they have to import more from Germany. Before the riots in Over The Rhine a while back, another German brewery, I think it was Ayinger or Paulaner, was contemplating a beer hall/brewery in Cincinnati to compete with Hofbrauhaus.

Cincinnati has a couple of beer festivals in Oktoberfest and Bockfest. I hope the city can translate that into some more microbreweries. I think a good spot for one would be the to-this-date-mythical Banks project.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I had no idea that a lot of Sam Adams was brewed in Ohio. I have several Yankee-fan friends who refuse to drink it on the basis of it being a Boston beer. They will be very pleased to hear this.
    A couple years back, M2 and I toured a microbrewery in South Boston called Harpoon. They were more than happy, when pressed, to point out that Sammy is brewed in Cincinnati.

They claim that the Sam Adams angle was purely a marketing ploy.

It seems to have worked.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 03-26-2007 at 10:54 PM. Reason: hit return prematurely
    Stick to your guns.

That'd be awesome if that happened. Cincinnati had something like that when Mainstreet Brewery was downtown and Watson Brother's in Blue Ash off of Pfeiffer. I only went to Mainstreet once, but I went to Watson's all the time. Watson's made it's own beer in the restaurant. I'm still upset it's shut down. Apparantly, from what I've heard, the owner's were skimming off the top and not paying bills. A damn shame. Because the location and the quality of the product was outstanding. I doubt it'll ever open again.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?