Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Samuel Adams: World of Beer

Re: Samuel Adams: World of Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    They said it's what hobos drink in England. Then they took big gulps of clear-bottled skunk water (Corona) and proclaimed it "lovely."

Of course, I've talked to other, nicer Brits who have said they enjoy Newcastle and Guinness.
    Although Newcastele is clear bottled too I do like it.

For my mexican beer dollar I prefer Tecate or Dos Equis
    Last edited by pedro; 03-27-2007 at 05:17 PM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    IIRC, Newcastle is made for the export market. Kind of like St Pauli Girl
    Wikipedia says it's available in England, but over half of the annual production gets shipped to the US, where it's the #1 imported beer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_Brown_Ale
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Wikipedia says it's available in England, but over half of the annual production gets shipped to the US, where it's the #1 imported beer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_Brown_Ale
    I would have never guessed that.

In Newcastle, the beer is often called 'Dog' (or simply 'Broon'). The 'Dog' name comes from the euphemism "I'm going to walk the dog" or "I'm going to see a man about a dog" - meaning "I'm going to the pub"

It is wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

It is wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt.
    I find wikipedia to be generally as accurate as anything else. but duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Bud was the first big boy to have breweries around the country to insure of their beers freshness in outside markets.

Still tastes like water and gives me a chemical headache.

Budweiser gives me a headache too. Wasn't sure why.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I've heard that it's because of it being rice based but I don't know if that has any basis in fact. Maybe I should drink a bunch of Kirin to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Beer is sort of the "odd man out" in research, perhaps because it's long been considered a blue-collar drink and perhaps not a lot of research scientists drank the stuff anyway. The potential for a beer to produce a hangover might indeed have more to do with the preservatives and adjunct chemistry used to make the stuff than the alcohol content itself. Carbonation also speeds alcohol absorption, which fuels the ability of beer, champagne and drinks blended with carbonated mixers to produce hangovers. Complicating the issue further still, each individual has a different rate at which their body metabolizes congeners. This is why (perhaps) some people get a classic "Budweiser headache" (even after one beer), and others aren't affected at all by the swill.
    http://www.anchoragepress.com/archiv...ument44e4.html

The beer circuit is to be avoided, they are something out of Lord of the Rings.
    The great love of my life who hasn't the faintest clue he's the love of my life is a beer dude (which is just so appropriate). He's an actor but he takes care of the beer for two serious beer-snobbish bars in New York and crap, do those people take their beer seriously. And they all KNOW each other. I have been deeply in love with him since I was nineteen. And I'll tell you what, surrounding freaks notwithstanding, it's nice being perpetually, unrequitedly in love with a beer freak, because he takes such care in picking out a beer for you and he immediately knows your palate so intimately that when he gets SO excited about giving you a beer and looks deep into your eyes and says, "Try this, you are going to love these hops," it can easily be construed as "Look at the way I'm looking at you, I cannot even believe how much I adore you, let's go get a puppy" if you stuff some cotton in your ears.

I saved the bottle from the first beer he ever bought me, called Delirium tremons. It has pigs on it, it's very cute, and stands as a strong (8.5%!) testament to our love.

Anywho.

Second mistaken beer birthplace of the thread: I thought Yeungling was an upstate New York beer. I used to work up there in the summers and people drink it like crazy there; I guess I just assumed that's where it came from. It's semi-commonplace in New York City too -- not REALLY common, but not at all hard to find if you want it.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Although Newcastele is clear bottled too I do like it.

For my mexican beer dollar I prefer Tecate or Dos Equis
    I like Negra Modelo myself.

As far as the English go, I noticed that my wife's blue collar cousins prefer Budweiser or Corona or Stella Artois. Unfortunate considering the wonderful pints available on tap at many English Pubs.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    The great love of my life who hasn't the faintest clue he's the love of my life is a beer dude (which is just so appropriate). He's an actor but he takes care of the beer for two serious beer-snobbish bars in New York and crap, do those people take their beer seriously. And they all KNOW each other. I have been deeply in love with him since I was nineteen. And I'll tell you what, surrounding freaks notwithstanding, it's nice being perpetually, unrequitedly in love with a beer freak, because he takes such care in picking out a beer for you and he immediately knows your palate so intimately that when he gets SO excited about giving you a beer and looks deep into your eyes and says, "Try this, you are going to love these hops," it can easily be construed as "Look at the way I'm looking at you, I cannot even believe how much I adore you, let's go get a puppy" if you stuff some cotton in your ears.

I saved the bottle from the first beer he ever bought me, called Delirium tremons. It has pigs on it, it's very cute, and stands as a strong (8.5%!) testament to our love.

Anywho.

Second mistaken beer birthplace of the thread: I thought Yeungling was an upstate New York beer. I used to work up there in the summers and people drink it like crazy there; I guess I just assumed that's where it came from. It's semi-commonplace in New York City too -- not REALLY common, but not at all hard to find if you want it.
    "let's go get a puppy"

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I like Negra Modelo myself.

As far as the English go, I noticed that my wife's blue collar cousins prefer Budweiser or Corona or Stella Artois. Unfortunate considering the wonderful pints available on tap at many English Pubs.
    That's actually what I was thinking about as opposed to Dos Equis.

I used to work in a mexican restaurant and we drank quite a few of those after work.

The beer circuit is to be avoided, they are something out of Lord of the Rings.

I partied with them guys once. All they ever did was go on and on about this hottie named Snow White.

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

When I lived in Spain quality beer was a hard thing to come by. They're hung up on their wine I guess (you can't drink the water). They had Cruz Campo and San Miquel. Down right nasty stuff. You wanted to put a gun to your head the next day. They had a couple American beers like Budweiser and Miller, but they used formaldehyde as a preservative in it. So if you died from a drinking binge they didn't have to do an autopsy to presevere you.

We did find Skol at numerous inns and taverns. Looking at our choices then, it was premium.

The best beer ever

St Paulie Girl is another beer that I didn't care much for.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-27-2007 at 07:22 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?