Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Samuel Adams: World of Beer

Porkchop Sandwiches

Re: Samuel Adams: World of Beer

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    The great love of my life who hasn't the faintest clue he's the love of my life is a beer dude (which is just so appropriate). He's an actor but he takes care of the beer for two serious beer-snobbish bars in New York and crap, do those people take their beer seriously. And they all KNOW each other. I have been deeply in love with him since I was nineteen. And I'll tell you what, surrounding freaks notwithstanding, it's nice being perpetually, unrequitedly in love with a beer freak, because he takes such care in picking out a beer for you and he immediately knows your palate so intimately that when he gets SO excited about giving you a beer and looks deep into your eyes and says, "Try this, you are going to love these hops," it can easily be construed as "Look at the way I'm looking at you, I cannot even believe how much I adore you, let's go get a puppy" if you stuff some cotton in your ears.

I saved the bottle from the first beer he ever bought me, called Delirium tremons. It has pigs on it, it's very cute, and stands as a strong (8.5%!) testament to our love.

Anywho.

Second mistaken beer birthplace of the thread: I thought Yeungling was an upstate New York beer. I used to work up there in the summers and people drink it like crazy there; I guess I just assumed that's where it came from. It's semi-commonplace in New York City too -- not REALLY common, but not at all hard to find if you want it.
    You would think someone would remember the first beer bottle that they saved from the love of their life was actually spelled Delirium Tremens.

They sell the stuff at the Bier Markt here in Ohio City next to the Great Lakes Brewery, both are fun places to go and throw some down.

Why did I give up beer for lent again?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I find wikipedia to be generally as accurate as anything else. but duly noted.

Sinbad disagrees with you. Wikipedia can be a great starting point for retrieving info. But more and more false entries are popping up there.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Sinbad disagrees with you. Wikipedia can be a great starting point for retrieving info. But more and more false entries are popping up there.

what about the voice of geddy lee
    how did it get so high?
    i wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?
    (i know him and he does!)

and you're my fact-checkin' cuz
    School's out. What did you expect?

i guess i'm a huge minority...i find Sam Adams rather bland and weak. i was sorely disappointed with it off the draft and out of the bottle.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    i guess i'm a huge minority...i find Sam Adams rather bland and weak. i was sorely disappointed with it off the draft and out of the bottle.
    I think they taste pretty good after the 12th one.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The beer circuit is to be avoided, they are something out of Lord of the Rings.
    Your description seems to be pretty accurate judging by the pictures in this article. And Beeradvocate.com is one of the best sites on the internet.

This article requires a login, so for those without, here is a picture from it:

Last edited by nycredsfan; 03-28-2007 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    Now that's a criticism I've never heard on Sammy. It's got about the most gusto you're ever going to get in a lager.

I'm taking a wild guess here, but you sound like a man who enjoys a pint of bitter. I'm a big Fuller's fan myself.

RFS, WOY, I noticed the mugs get frostier as you head south. Since most beers, at least the fuller bodied ones, come from northern climes, that's a big reason why they aren't served ice cold.

So, while I prefer a warmer beer and you can definitely taste more when it's not frosty, I fully understand where a cold one evokes a visceral thrill in hot climate. Heck, I used to pound the Mickey's when I lived in Virginia.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

This is one of my favorite beers. they're going to start bottling it next year.

Laurelwood Brewing Company
    Free Range Red is a rich copper-colored ale with loads of fresh hop flavor. Medium in body the caramel sweetness blends wonderfully with the smooth hop flavor creating a balanced, super drinkable beer. This beer is brewed with 100% Organically-grown malts.

Awards
    GOLD MEDAL World Beer Cup 2004

Comments from the Head Brewer:
    Chad: "This beer is Laurelwood. Organic, hoppy but balanced, and super drinkable. Free Range Red is by far our most popular beer."

Alcohol Content: 5.9%
    IBUs: 60
    Original Gravity: 14 Plato
    Terminal Gravity: 3.0 Plato
    Malt: Organic 2-Row, Organic Crystal
    Hops: Cascade

That sounds like a real good beer, pedro. I'm going to have to give a look around for it once it comes out in bottles.

Over the past few days, I made a point to stop at both Jungle Jim's and Party Source, and let me say that if anyone loves beer, those are definitely places that shouldn't disappoint you as far as overall selection. I can easily see myself walking out with at least a half dozen different beers every time I walk in one of those two places. Hopefully one of them will stock the beer pedro recommends when it comes out in bottles.

I did pick up a few of the different Sammy Adams varieties that I hadn't remembered trying in the past. I enjoyed their Honey Porter tonight.

Description: Introduced as a member of the Winter Classics Mix Pack in 2004, Samuel Adams® Holiday Porter with its rich malt complexity has become a favorite among our winter seasonal brews. In total, five varieties of malted barley are used in the brewing process including a variety of German malt called Carafa®. The Carafa® gives our Holiday Porter its smooth, roasted malt character. Add generous portions of imported hops to the mix and one has a brew that is both robust and high in drinkability.

Brewing: Samuel Adams® Holiday Porter is brewed using East Kent Goldings and Fuggles, traditional British ale hops, as well as the German Noble Hop Spalt Spalter. It is dry hopped using the Goldings to give an even more authentic British hop character in both aroma and flavor. A small portion of flaked oats are also added to the brew’s complex blend of malt flavors. The oats help round off any roughness from the highly roasted malts and add a touch of silkiness to the finish.

Characteristics: Deep, rich, and roasty malt balanced with Traditional English Ale Hops and a touch of noble hop.

Color: Deep ruby black
    Original Gravity: 16 Plato
    Alcohol: 5.8% ABV
    Malt Type: Two Row Pale, Caramel 60, Munich 10, Carafa malt, and Flaked Oats
    Hops: Fuggles, East Kent Goldings, and Spalt Spalter
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I had a Sam Adams Boston Lager tonight. I checked the label which said that it was "brewed by the Boston Beer Company, Boston and Rochester, NY" and also mentioned visiting Sam Adams in Boston. Not a word of Ohio. I feel betrayed.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Several months ago, I went down to the Party Source and was looking at all the beers they had there. I spotted on called Babe Ruth Beer or Babe Ruth Ale or something like that. Next time I went down there they didn't have it. I looked on line for it but didn't find anything. I kind of wish I had bought a bottle of it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Sam (Boston Lager) is one of my favorites also. It was probably the 1st beer beyond the Miller Lite/Budweiser/Natural Light college world that grabbed me and said "I'm better". I also dig the Light version, Old Fezziwig, Honey Porter and several of the others. But, especially now as the wamer weather encroaches, I tend to back off on the Sam and go for the lighter stuff a little more frequently. Dunno why, just seems like I should.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I had a Sam Adams Boston Lager tonight. I checked the label which said that it was "brewed by the Boston Beer Company, Boston and Rochester, NY" and also mentioned visiting Sam Adams in Boston. Not a word of Ohio. I feel betrayed.
    Depends on where the beer came from. If you're drinking it in Cincinnati, I would find that odd. Up here in Cleveland the bottles always say "Boston, MA and Cincinnati, OH." It all depends on where that particular batch was brewed. On Budweiser labels, they have a code that tells you where that particular bottle of Bud was made.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I just had two "C-Notes" from the New Old Lompoc brewery. they have a pub called "the hedge house" about 200 yards from my house. It's very hoppy but once you're hooked it's over.

http://www.newoldlompoc.com/hhhousehome.html

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I just had two "C-Notes" from the New Old Lompoc brewery. they have a pub called "the hedge house" about 200 yards from my house. It's very hoppy but once you're hooked it's over.

http://www.newoldlompoc.com/hhhousehome.html
    Sounds pretty good. Here I got one for ya from the Russian River Brewery http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/p...ytheelder.html. Just had my growler filled aahh the hops.

Oh and as far as this quote
    Portland is pretty much "Beer Heaven".
    if you change that to the Northwest then I'll agree.

As far as Sam Adams I don't buy much mainstreem beer anymore, but the last sammy I had I believe had passed it's experation date and I haven't had the guts to try again.

Turn Off Ads?