Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Interested In Piniero?

Reds Interested In Piniero?

Considering the numbers game the Reds have for the fifth spot in the starting rotation and in the bullpen, I think this is more of a creation of the Boston media. But with Wayne K., you never know.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...ticleid=190885

Scouts from several teams have been monitoring the right-hander, whose role was shifted to middle or set-up innings following Jonathan Papelbon [stats]ís recent return to closer. The Cincinnati Reds, who are leaning toward selecting Dustin Hermanson as closer from a pool of journeyman relievers, may be the best fit. Signed for only one year at $4 million (plus the possibility of an additional $2 million in incentives based on games finished), Pineiro most likely would fit into Cincinnatiís tight budget.

The right-hander was scheduled to pitch an inning in yesterdayís 12-6 win over the Florida Marlins at City of Palms Park, but was forced to throw instead on a back field after the game because of the length of starterJosh Beckett [stats]ís outing (seven innings). Brendan Donnelly (one inning, no runs) and J.C. Romero (one inning, five runs) were the only Sox relievers to see action.

Pineiro struggled with his consistency earlier this spring as he got comfortable with a new, more compact delivery, but he has pitched well lately and has tossed 8 scoreless innings over his last seven Grapefruit League appearances. Hermanson, meanwhile, signed with the Reds midway through camp but appears to have overtaken David Weathers and Mike Stanton in the Redsí battle for closer. The 34-year-old has missed significant time in three of the past five years because of injuries and was limited to only six relief appearances last season for the Chicago White Sox.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Interested In Piniero?

Because the Reds already don't have enough candidates for their bullpen?

What?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Because the Reds already don't have enough candidates for their bullpen?

What?
    Wayne will never have enough arms in the bullpen. It's becoming a very disturbing trend.

I didn't think that offseason free agent signings were eligible to be traded until like June 1st or something?

Wasn't Pineiro signed by BOS as a free agent?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I didn't think that offseason free agent signings were eligible to be traded until like June 1st or something?

Wasn't Pineiro signed by BOS as a free agent?
    That only applies if the player doesn't want to be traded.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

lets give them MILTON and half his salary in a deal for Pinerio

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    That only applies if the player doesn't want to be traded.
    Well, that's nice.

So, it's a rule in place, but the player gets to decide if he wants to be traded or not, and if not, that superseeds the rule? Geez. Nice deal by the players union.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Well, that's nice.

So, it's a rule in place, but the player gets to decide if he wants to be traded or not, and if not, that superseeds the rule? Geez. Nice deal by the players union.
    Basically the CBA stipulates that free agent signings come with an automatic no trade clause until the following June.... I guess I don't think thats such a bad thing.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Well, that's nice.

Well, it does make sense. The only reason to have the rule in the first place is to protect players, as the whole point of free agency is to give players freedom of choice. If the team can trade them right away against their will, the freedom of choice only lasts for as long as it takes to sign the contract. But, if the team wants to trade a player, and the player wants to be traded, who's the rule protecting?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Joel Piniero would be a huge upgrade over many of our current pitchers.

He could be used as anything between our #3 SP or Closer.

Not sure what we could give them that they actually need for Piniero, but I really hope Krivsky is taking a good look at him if he's truly attainable.

Wasn't Piniero considered a good pitcher a few years back? What in the world happened to him?

I'd get him, as long as it doesn't take any real talent.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Joel Piniero would be a huge upgrade over many of our current pitchers.

He could be used as anything between our #3 SP or Closer.

Not sure what we could give them that they actually need for Piniero, but I really hope Krivsky is taking a good look at him if he's truly attainable.
    Ugggghhhhhh.....he's a junk pitcher with command issues...

Wasn't Piniero considered a good pitcher a few years back? What in the world happened to him?
    I have no idea....he gained about 4 mph on his fastball and burst on the scene out of nowhere and then he lost his velocity after the '03 season..... It's an absolute puzzle.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

We have plenty of those, and he'd certainly be better than our current crop.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

I have no idea....he gained about 4 mph on his fastball and burst on the scene out of nowhere and then he lost his velocity after the '03 season..... It's an absolute puzzle.
    He's a decent gamble, and if we can pawn off milton in the process. I'm for it.

Code:
    2001 22 SEA AL   6   2  17  11   0   0   1  0   75.3   50   24   17   2   21   56   3   2   289   0   0  2.03  4.21  207 0.942
     2002 23 SEA AL  14   7  37  28   2   1   4  0  194.3  189   75   70  24   54  136   7   8   812   1   0  3.24  4.20  130 1.250
     2003 24 SEA AL  16  11  32  32   3   2   0  0  211.7  192   94   89  19   76  151   6   5   890   3   0  3.78  4.44  117 1.266
     2004 25 SEA AL   6  11  21  21   1   0   0  0  140.7  144   77   73  21   43  111   4   4   596   1   0  4.67  4.31   92 1.329
     2005 26 SEA AL   7  11  30  30   2   0   0  0  189.0  224  118  118  23   56  107   6   7   822   4   1  5.62  4.32   77 1.481
     2006 27 SEA AL   8  13  40  25   1   0   6  1  165.7  209  123  117  23   64   87  10   4   753  13   1  6.36  4.34   68 1.648
    It appears 2005/2006 the whells just came off. I'd give him a try based on the fact that he has shown decent stats in past. It could very well be pitching through injury (See Eddie and JJ Putz).
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?