Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Per the Enquirer - Phillips and EE, 3rd and 5th respectively...

Per the Enquirer - Phillips and EE, 3rd and 5th respectively...

SOOooo, assuming it's Freel leading off, who bats 2nd, 4th, and 6th?!?!?

My guess, Hatteberg, Griffey, and Dunn...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...703260355/1071

Reds hope two rights don't make a wrong
    To balance lineup, young bats must deliver
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM
    Comments | E-mail | Print | digg us! | del.icio.us!

DUNEDIN, Fla. - For Reds manager Jerry Narron's plan to split the left-handers in his lineup to work, the right-handers splitting them are going to have to hit.

That would be Brandon Phillips and Edwin Encarnacion.

Phillips is likely to hit third in Narron's plan, Encarnacion fifth. Those are two very key spots in the lineup.

"I have confidence in them," Narron said, "and they have confidence in themselves. I think they'll both benefit from having left-handers hitting around them."

Phillips, 25, and Encarnacion, 24, are about the same age and they put up about the same numbers last year.

Encarnacion hit .276 with 15 home runs and 72 RBI. He hit .303 with runners in scoring position.

Phillips hit .276 with 17 home runs and 75 RBI. He hit .297 with runners in scoring position.

Both also were on their way to much better years until they hit the wall in the September. Encarnacion hit .214 with one homer and five RBI in September after hitting .317 with seven homers and 24 RBI in August. Phillips hit .149 with two homers and nine RBI after hitting .330 with seven homers and 17 RBI in August.

If they can build on last year, the Reds have a chance to have a good offense. If they don't, the Reds could struggle offensively as they did last September.

"It's simple: They have to get it done," Narron said.

The third-fifth arrangement works well because it allows Phillips to use his speed - he stole 25 bases in 27 attempts last year - and it will give Encarnacion chances with runners in scoring position, something he has a knack for.

"I don't really care where I hit," Encarnacion said. "I can hit anywhere. (But) I like batting with runners on base."

Neither Phillips nor Encarnacion got much time last year in the spot they're going to be in this year.

Phillips hit all over the lineup. He led off nine times, hit second 16 times, third once, fifth once, sixth 28 times, seventh 66 times, eighth 15 times and ninth twice.

Encarnacion hit second three times, third nine times, fourth 39 times, fifth 19 times, sixth 25 times, seventh 13 times and eighth twice.

Narron points out that while Phillips and Encarnacion are in important spots in the lineup and thus key to the club's success, the whole lineup has to work for the Reds to be good offensively.

"For us to be successful, we're going to need 25 guys," Narron said. "We don't have one guy to carry us. We don't have the great Albert Pujols."

Narron has the stat to back up that assertion.

"Last year, we didn't have a single position player get a vote - not even a 10th-place vote - for Most Valuable Player," he said. "We've got to have 25 guys do well."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Per the Enquirer - Phillips and EE, 3rd and 5th respectively...

The common belief among baseball people is that you should have your best hitter bat third. Narron is a baseball guy.
    If Narron thinks that Phillips is his best hitter...well...

As for 2, 4, and 6. Expect Hat, Grif and Dunn... in that order.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

This splitting up the lefties is ridiculous. Its a great thought, but you don't weaken your team just for the sake of splitting them up. Would Narron have broken up Ruth and Gehrig?

OK, the Reds don't have Ruth and Gehrig but my point stands. Actually, if he would just flip Encarnacion and Phillips (EdE third) and make sure Hatteburg is 6th every night (hello, Adam Dunn batting second!!) I'd be happy. But I fear the top three now becomes Freel, Hatteburg and Phillips. Meaning the Reds three best hitters (Dunn, EdE and Griff) are 4, 5, 6

Best hitters should get the most at bats there Narrono
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Batting 3rd allows Phillips to use his speed, but batting 5th wouldn't? Please explain.

Hitting behind Phillips and his anemic .324 OPB will give Encarnacion more chances to hit with runners in scoring position? Please explain.

Don't get me wrong -- I like the idea of staggering the lineup. But it seems like a no-brainer to slot EdE third and move Phillips to 5th.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Phillips, 25, and Encarnacion, 24, are about the same age and they put up about the same numbers last year.

Encarnacion hit .276 with 15 home runs and 72 RBI. He hit .303 with runners in scoring position.

Phillips hit .276 with 17 home runs and 75 RBI. He hit .297 with runners in scoring position.
    Phillips had similar counting stats but he did have 124 more plate appearances than EE. Plus, this totally discounts the massive difference in OBP and SLG.

OBP:
    EE - .359
    BP - .324

SLG:
    EE - .473
    BP - .427

There really isn't much of a comparison. EE is a much better hitter and run producer. Batting BP 3rd and EE 5th would be absurd.

This is the kind of weird decision that will draw interest for fantasy players around the country. Phillips' value will be up a tick because of Narron's insistence that he bat third, simply because he will have many more opportunities to drive in runs than his .320 or so OBP should allow if he were batting sixth where he belongs.

Maybe Narron thinks he's the second coming of Roberto Alomar? This one, on Narron's long list of head scratchers, is right up there...

It's also a FINE test of the line of thought that batting order construction does not matter...

I don't think you'll see Hatteberg hit second over Dunn.

Come next Monday, I expect to see:

Freel
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Griffey
    Encarnacion
    Hatteberg
    Gonzalez
    Ross
    Harang

I'll be shocked if Dunn hit's 6th.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I think potentially Edwin would be a better 3 hitter as opposed to having Brandon in the 3 hole. Phillips had a good power year last year but he just seems small and a type of guy to get about 15 homers where Encarnacion would seem like a guy who is going to hit 25+ potentially. Dunn batting 6th is a head scratcher.. wonder how long that lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I don't think you'll see Hatteberg hit second over Dunn.

Come next Monday, I expect to see:

Freel
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Griffey
    Encarnacion
    Hatteberg
    Gonzalez
    Ross
    Harang

I'll be shocked if Dunn hit's 6th.
    I won't be shocked at all to see this on Monday.

Freel
    Hatteberg
    Phillips
    Junior
    Encarnacion
    Dunn
    Ross
    Gonzalez
    Harang

According to the blog, this is today's lineup:

Freel CF
    Dunn LF
    Phillips 2B
    Griffey RF
    Encarnacion 3B
    Hatteberg 1B
    Gonzalez SS
    Ross C

I'd assume that's what we'll see next week.

Freel CF
    Dunn LF
    Phillips 2B
    Griffey RF
    Encarnacion 3B
    Hatteberg 1B
    Gonzalez SS
    Ross C

I still say slotting Phillips 3rd in the order is criminal.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Freel CF
    Dunn LF
    Phillips 2B
    Griffey RF
    Encarnacion 3B
    Hatteberg 1B
    Gonzalez SS
    Ross C

If I'm Piniella...I pitch around Dunn.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    This is the kind of weird decision that will draw interest for fantasy players around the country. Phillips' value will be up a tick because of Narron's insistence that he bat third, simply because he will have many more opportunities to drive in runs than his .320 or so OBP should allow if he were batting sixth where he belongs.

Maybe Narron thinks he's the second coming of Roberto Alomar? This one, on Narron's long list of head scratchers, is right up there...

It's also a FINE test of the line of thought that batting order construction does not matter...
    You know, I've been seeing all you guys whine about Narron's lineups for a while now, and I always kind of thought it was a bit over the top, considering how bad most managers are, but I'm really starting to get it now. It's like he's trying to use calculus to solve 2+2=?. Doesn't he have actual work to do?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    If I'm Piniella...I pitch around Dunn.
    Why?

Phillips, Griffey and Encarnacion aren't exactly scrubs hitting behind him.

Why?

Phillips, Griffey and Encarnacion aren't exactly scrubs hitting behind him.
    Phillips is an out machine with a little bit of slugging ability. I'd pitch around Dunn to get to him without hesitation.

Turn Off Ads?