Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any fishermen/women on RZ?

Re: Any fishermen/women on RZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    The girl who I am currently "seeing" - in other words, getting no where fast with - is from a big commercial fisherman family and they want to take me spanish fishing, whatever the heck that is.

"Spanish Fishing" huh?

We used to call that a snipe hunt.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thanks for the info rdiersin.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I go to the Maumee River to fish for Walleye when the run to spawn in the spring ... generally a one day trip.

I fish for catfish for a few weeks in the spring, mostly at Ft. Loramie or Indian Lake.

I have a May trip where we go to a little lake in SE Ohio to bluegill fish for 4-5 days.

Most of the rest of the year I bass fish.

I took my 3 year old with me fishing yesterday. Didn't catch anything, but thats tough when you have to move every 5 minutes or so since "we didn't catch anything yet". We had a ball anyway and picked up an ice cream cone on the way back.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    "Spanish Fishing" huh?

We used to call that a snipe hunt.
    Was that before or after you witnessed Lee surrendering at Appomattox Courthouse?
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Thanks for the info rdiersin.

No problem. Like I said, in trout, I am no expert, especially when it comes to lake/pond fishing for them. However, I would say that if VOA park is like Miami Whitewater, when they stock it with trout, there really is no reason you can't fish anyway you want. Bait will probably work well, especially worms, I imagine since they may resemble nymphs/larva, and they have a scent. Also spinners have always been said to work well for them. A fly rod is not needed for trout (it sometimes seems that way because they seem associated with each other). Its just a fun and more challenging way to fish for them. (Note: Fly rod use may not mean more caught fish, usually the opposite.)

Walleye or perch at Lake Erie depending on the time of year.

Haven't been up there in a few years though.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Walleye or perch at Lake Erie depending on the time of year.

Haven't been up there in a few years though.
    I knew that feeling. When I was at my undergrad, I never went fishing. Only later did I find out it had some really good creek smallmouth fishing. Too late.

I fish for Bass. Caught my first one of the year Friday (3/24) I fish state lakes in Illinois. There is one 15 minutes from me and I fish it 30 times a year or so.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Hey experts, I could use your help.
    My kid wants to fish, but I haven't really done much since I was a kid.

I bought him a cane pole and we'll go out in my canoe to see if we can catch some bluegill and other pan fish. Any tips? Bait suggestions? Locations?

Thanks.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post

I bought him a cane pole and we'll go out in my canoe to see if we can catch some bluegill and other pan fish. Any tips? Bait suggestions? Locations?

Thanks.
    I fish most of the time in the farm pond that's a 10 minute walk from my back door. I bass fish, but while I do this, I set up 2 or 3 cane poles with bobbers with real live worms on the end. I've never had a problem catching 10-12 bluegills an hour if the conditions are right. Makes it enjoyable even if the bass are being stingy.

My advice, find a farm pond that you can use and fish away.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post

Thanks.
    Locations are difficult, since I am not familiar with your area. Are you thinking more along the lines of a lake or a stream with your canoe? In the spring (late spring especially like May) Bluegill are easy to catch along the banks, because they are in their prespawn mode, IIRC. Just about anything work as far as bait. The trick I like most is to use just a worm and a hook, with as little weight as possible to get the bait out and just let it slowly sink. The bluegills will just nail it at times. I believe they will be deeper after the spawning period, I think like June. Also, since they are a warmwater fish they may be deeper now, and more difficult to catch. But come later April and May, they can be a blast, especially in shallow water in ponds/lakes, as the water warms and they are getting ready to spawn. They actually, IIRC, spawn several times a year, so there aren't the problems that accompany other fish.

I agree with Dabvu, farm ponds are the best with kids. Plus, on some, there is always a chance to land a 5lb bass.

Sundeck, my oldest was old enough last year to go with me. He was four, and we went for bluegill and crappie. Bass fishing is too advanced for him. I bought him a Zebco Batman fishing pole. It is slightly more advanced then the toddler poles you see, but it will float if it goes in the water.

I am in Logan County, and I fish Indian Lake, Kiser Lake, and Lake Loramie. Find some calm channels with some brush/or surface cover. Less competition from other boaters and less chance for young ones to get lines tangled with other lines, but watch the trees. I like to use live minnows for crappie, or wax worms for bluegill. I have to bait the hook for my son if we use minnows because he can't manage to hook a live fish properly. But their is alot of fun that can go with teaching your kids to bait a hook. I will never forget the look on my son's eyes when he caught his first bluegill completely by himself. He was so proud. I took his picture with my camera phone, and it is currently my background picture.

I have always thought that the best part of going fishing with your kids, or your dad is the quiet time, where all there is to do is fish and talk about things.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin View Post
    Locations are difficult, since I am not familiar with your area. Are you thinking more along the lines of a lake or a stream with your canoe? In the spring (late spring especially like May) Bluegill are easy to catch along the banks, because they are in their prespawn mode, IIRC. Just about anything work as far as bait. The trick I like most is to use just a worm and a hook, with as little weight as possible to get the bait out and just let it slowly sink. The bluegills will just nail it at times. I believe they will be deeper after the spawning period, I think like June. Also, since they are a warmwater fish they may be deeper now, and more difficult to catch. But come later April and May, they can be a blast, especially in shallow water in ponds/lakes, as the water warms and they are getting ready to spawn. They actually, IIRC, spawn several times a year, so there aren't the problems that accompany other fish.

I agree with Dabvu, farm ponds are the best with kids. Plus, on some, there is always a chance to land a 5lb bass.

Also, in my experience, right after a rain (3-4 hours) in the warmer months, bluegill will be real active in 3-5 feet of water in a farm pond.

I fish Dale Hollow for smallmouth several times a year. When I fish in Ohio I mainly fish East Fork for hybrid stripers and crappie. I plan night fishing trips in the summer around when the Reds are on the West coast so I can listen to the games at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    I fish Dale Hollow for smallmouth several times a year. When I fish in Ohio I mainly fish East Fork for hybrid stripers and crappie. I plan night fishing trips in the summer around when the Reds are on the West coast so I can listen to the games at the same time.
    I use to be an avid fisherman before I had kids. I loved night/very early morning fishing.... peaceful, quiet, you could hear a pin drop. Just to be able to sit back, relax, and take in nature, was very therapeutic for me.

I was mainly farm ponds and state parks. When I lived over in Columbus I use to love to go to the little burg called Galena, on the northern tip of Hoover Reservoir, when the crappie started running in April. It had an ideal spot under the huge cement bridge for basically setting up a small camp, and protection when it rained.

I've only been crappie fishing on Erie one time in my life. The two guys I went up with though basically "lived" on that lake and knew it well. We hit a couple schools, and it was funny as boats would watch each other, and when they saw someone catching alot, they'd all start coming in and crowding you. I was way over matched.

Now that my kids are all high school age, getting ready to graduate, I'm thinking about getting back into it. I always loved it.

Down outside Owensboro, Ky, I have relatives who have a huge farm. Due to there advanced age though, they no longer farm it and rent the land out. Back in the early 70's they expanded one of their farm ponds out to 3.5 acres. He stocked it with bass, blue gill, and catfish. I remember, when in high school, and when I'd go down there to stay a few weeks in the summer, we'd drive into town (this farm is pretty isolated), and get 2 week old baked goods and fill the back of the pickup truck with them to feed the fish. Now that has been 30 years ago. The pond is rarely fished, and even then it was only by my uncle, his son, and a few friends. I've always wanted to go back down there, camp out over the weekend, and fish it after all these years. I had a lot of great times down on that farm.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-01-2007 at 04:18 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?