Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any fishermen/women on RZ?

Re: Any fishermen/women on RZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Was that before or after you witnessed Lee surrendering at Appomattox Courthouse?

No, he'd just finished a hard day's work on the Great Pyramid--decided to stroll over to the Nile....
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin View Post
    Locations are difficult, since I am not familiar with your area. Are you thinking more along the lines of a lake or a stream with your canoe? In the spring (late spring especially like May) Bluegill are easy to catch along the banks, because they are in their prespawn mode, IIRC. Just about anything work as far as bait. The trick I like most is to use just a worm and a hook, with as little weight as possible to get the bait out and just let it slowly sink. The bluegills will just nail it at times. I believe they will be deeper after the spawning period, I think like June. Also, since they are a warmwater fish they may be deeper now, and more difficult to catch. But come later April and May, they can be a blast, especially in shallow water in ponds/lakes, as the water warms and they are getting ready to spawn. They actually, IIRC, spawn several times a year, so there aren't the problems that accompany other fish.

I agree with Dabvu, farm ponds are the best with kids. Plus, on some, there is always a chance to land a 5lb bass.
    Thanks!
    By locations I probably should have explained that I'm interested in knowing what kinds of places to fish- like near the bank, around fallen trees, etc. We will be going either to Lake Monroe, Griffey Lake or Yellow Wood Lake which are all within an easy drive here in Bloomington. I canoe them all a lot and it should be pretty easy to find some spots. I also plan on going here, too.

It's a little pond out in the middle of nowhere in the Hoosier NF.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

The Ohio Power or AEP ponds out in East/Southeast Ohio are excellent for Bass, large Bluegill, Crappie and numerous others. You have to obtain a permit which is free through AEP's or ODNR's website. It is worth the trip out there. Some of the ponds are really remote, so you'll have to hike a good distance to get to them. Ticks are a plenty in the area so prepare accordingly. One way that I always worked the ponds was with a float tube and some flippers. I have a 7 1/2 pound Largemouth on my wall that I caught out there in 1994.

More Info @ http://www.aep.com/environmental/rec...uestpermit.htm

Also, if you sign a release of liability, some rock quarries can be fished with a lot of success.
    Last edited by dman; 04-01-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Thanks!
    By locations I probably should have explained that I'm interested in knowing what kinds of places to fish- like near the bank, around fallen trees, etc. We will be going either to Lake Monroe, Griffey Lake or Yellow Wood Lake which are all within an easy drive here in Bloomington. I canoe them all a lot and it should be pretty easy to find some spots. I also plan on going here, too.

It's a little pond out in the middle of nowhere in the Hoosier NF.
    That's a nice little pond, and would probably be my first choice. As far as spots in ponds and lakes to look for. Look for shallow water (1'-5' of water) bays in late April/May. That's probably the best point to look for. This link may be of help, just when they start talking about what fly to use, think of bait.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...sh/part55.html

Hope that helps.

Update: ODNR's first report of the season is available.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/...ohioweekly.htm
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I dabble in it occasionally, usually for bass. I have a canoe that I try to take out as much as possible and on occasion I will take a pole with me. Sometimes I just paddle around and leave the fish alone, but with a canoe you can get into a lot of interesting places. For the most part, the fish feel pretty secure when I'm around.

Im a huge fisherman,my dad and I go atleast once or twice a week when it starts getting warmer.Me and dad went tuesday crappie fishing and caught 61 crappie.I caought a 13 and a half inch,dad caught a 11 and a half.Had a blast even thow we fished with minnows.

We mainly fish for bass using plastic bait!! we also fish for strippers later in the year when its mainly cold.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    ... we also fish for strippers later in the year when its mainly cold.

I've heard that dollar bills are great bait. Not that I'd know. Just something I've heard.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I've heard that dollar bills are great bait. Not that I'd know. Just something I've heard.
    I have yet to catch a silicone enhanced bass!!

I have that same problem redhawk

See guys my sig tells the truth I can spell but just can't type!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Turn Off Ads?