Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AP All-American basketball teams

Sham

Re: AP All-American basketball teams

I think Oden will be very good, but not drafting Durant #1 would be a huge gaffe IMO.

And I know all that about big men being more valuable.

Durant is the next Dr. J.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah, I certainly would not have complained had Hansbrough made 1st team over Oden. I like how he plays.

IMO this conversation has nothing to do with "liking" OSU or not, it's about Oden. When people start making it about the school, that's when the harder feelings arise...
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I would never pick Durant over Oden, ever. Thats just me though.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Durant is a once every 2-3 yrs type of player. Oden is a once every 15-20 yrs type. You dont pass that up.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Does one have to be "Irrational" to not like OSU now?

I must have missed the telegram.
    You must have missed the part where Red Leader insinuated that anyone that disagreed with his point was just a homer.

It's not new.

If he's got a point to make then he should be able to defend it. By his "TEH GOD" comments he is already trying to define the counter to his arguement.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Durant is a once every 2-3 yrs type of player. Oden is a once every 15-20 yrs type. You dont pass that up.
    Wow. Who are the players that come out every 2-3 years that are like Durrant? I can think of McGrady, except McGrady's shorter than Durrant, but their games are very similar. I'm sorry Oden does not have an NBA ready offensive game. And I know he's been injured but I've watched him play through high school and he didn't have one then either, he can't shoot or put the ball on the floor. Hibbard will be a good test for Oden to see how far his offensive game has come.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Couple of opinions:

Jeff Green's talent and ability have been well stated on here. One thing I would like to add is that you have to take into account that Green plays in one of the most deliberate offenses in the country. (I believe bottom 10 in possessions per game). People across the country wouldn't question his skill if you stuck him in the UNC offense.

Kevin Durant, to me, is a more advanced, taller Tracy McGrady at comparable ages. That is, it took Tracy a couple of years to really develop his offensive game. It might take Durant one year. He's my #1 pick. And he is NOT an every 2-3 year player.

Based on this year, Oden shouldn't be a first teamer. I would have Hansbrough on my first team. To his credit Oden was not fully healthy this year (scary) but like someone mentioned, the teams aren't made on potential.

Scout's Take from CNNSI: "I know we're talking about 'moving up,' and Oden can't really go much higher, but here's what's been reinforced: All the talk about taking [Kevin] Durant at No. 1 is ridiculous. If it was possible for Oden to have helped himself in that debate, he did. That blocked shot at the end of the Tennessee game -- that's why he's the No. 1 pick. He effortlessly rotated over and stuffed a potential game-winning shot, and there are about three guys on the planet who can do what he does defensively. I thought Joey Dorsey [of Memphis] would put up more of a fight in the Elite Eight, but Oden destroyed the guy. When you're framing this Durant-versus-Oden debate, it's not like you're talking about Michael Jordan versus Hakeem Olajuwon. You're talking about a higher-level Tracy McGrady versus Hakeem. And I know who wins that argument. Every single time. It's crazy that there even is an argument."

That's pretty much the consensus of anyone that does that for a living. Oden will go number one. He's a dominant player in college right now. Easy first team All America choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Scout's Take from CNNSI: "I know we're talking about 'moving up,' and Oden can't really go much higher, but here's what's been reinforced: All the talk about taking [Kevin] Durant at No. 1 is ridiculous. If it was possible for Oden to have helped himself in that debate, he did. That blocked shot at the end of the Tennessee game -- that's why he's the No. 1 pick. He effortlessly rotated over and stuffed a potential game-winning shot, and there are about three guys on the planet who can do what he does defensively. I thought Joey Dorsey [of Memphis] would put up more of a fight in the Elite Eight, but Oden destroyed the guy. When you're framing this Durant-versus-Oden debate, it's not like you're talking about Michael Jordan versus Hakeem Olajuwon. You're talking about a higher-level Tracy McGrady versus Hakeem. And I know who wins that argument. Every single time. It's crazy that there even is an argument."

That's pretty much the consensus of anyone that does that for a living. Oden will go number one. He's a dominant player in college right now. Easy first team All America choice.
    Yeah, "easy" first teamer

You do realize he missed the first month of the season. And the first month and a half he played he was playing one handed? And you do realize that first team all-american has nothing to do with pro potential? And that the numbers Fazekis and hansbrough had this year dwarfed Oden's numbers?

Yeah, "easy" first teamer.

Oden is a once in every 15 years type big guy. I love the kid. But easy first teamer when he missed so much time and then played at 75 percent and didn't put up numbers like others. No freakin way - this is, at the very least, debateable and nothing thats debateable is "easy"

And I am not saying he isn't a first teamer - just thats its not an "easy" call
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Oden is easily debated against because the average fan doesn't realize how dominant he is on defense.
    I'll take 16 pts/9 rb's with his defense and put him on my first team. Anytime.

Oden changes the whole game.

Hansborough on defense? He's a good flopper is about the best I can say. He changes nothing the other team does.

And is 18 pts/7.9 rb's really dwarfing Oden and his 15.5/9.5?

I don't think so. Add in defense and the debate is pretty much over.
    Last edited by Cedric; 03-28-2007 at 08:08 PM.

I agree that AA choices (just like Heisman trophies, etc) are not and should not be based on pro potential. But having seen Oden and Fazekis play, Oden is easily chosen over him IMO. In basketball much moreso than in baseball you can only take the # comparison so far. Oden's output in the scoring column would easily be more had he been on a team that required it day-in day-out. But I think the combination of his injury and relatively gradula unveiling of his skills because of the injury do make it something of a debatable topic. However, he would without a shadow of a doubt be on my 1st team , but that's just my opinion. I am a Buckeye alum, Buckeye state resident, a Buckeye fan, etc and got to see him every game and realize exactly what he can do, so I may have some bias... But I'd like to think my bball talent perception is not clouded too much.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Sham

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post

Freshmen that win the POY come along every 2-3 years?

crash54

Quote Originally Posted by Sham View Post
    Freshmen that win the POY come along every 2-3 years?
    It's not like he had a choice in becoming a freshman. I do think however that he is more like a every 5-10 year player. 2-3 is crazy.

C’mon Buckeye fans, you saw the same games that the rest of us did during the tournament, and you saw that Oden has a lot of growing and developing to do as a player at the higher levels of competition. A lot of Ohio States best play during the tournament has come after Oden was in trouble and with Oden on the bench. I agree with MWM and Tucker.

First team I don’t get it.

I was surprised to see the Stephen Curry didn't even get honorable mention.

Turn Off Ads?