Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A Local Story That Really Puts It In Perspective

A Local Story That Really Puts It In Perspective

It's here in Bellefontaine, and makes me feel very small, and humbled, when I don't appreciate what I have....

http://www.examiner.org/news.php

Boy sees need to help others

9-year-old asks for food for needy rather than birthday gifts for himself

Christian Cooper, center, sorts through non-perishable food items he collected Saturday afternoon for his birthday to give to the homeless. With him in their rural Rushsylvania home are his parents, Bill and Deb Cooper.

Christian Cooper does something unique each year for his birthday celebration, and this year was no different.
    The second-grade Benjamin Logan Elementary School student asked all his friends and family members to give him food items for a local charity for the needy instead of gifts for his ninth birthday, which is Tuesday.
    “We didn’t know which food pantry to go to,” said his mother, Deb Cooper. “His teacher (Tammy Blake) at school suggested God’s Lifeline Thrift Shop and Food Pantry in Mt. Victory.” Mrs. Blake, who was among those who attended a party Saturday afternoon at Christian’s rural Rushsylvania home, teaches Braille to Christian, who is blind. The system of dots is used by the blind to read and write.
    More than a dozen boxes of food worth about $200 were collected at the gathering.
    Christian’s parents were surprised by their son’s request this year, however, they said he does something unique each year for his birthday, including a variety of activities.
    “His imagination, being blind, he has a very active imagination,” Mrs. Cooper said.
    “He never asked for anything for his birthday,” said his father, Bill Cooper. “He said ‘I want food for the homeless. I have too much.’
    “We want to support him in what he wants to do. And this seems to have worked out nicely.”
    Christian said he got the idea for the donations instead of gifts from the radio.
    “I knew this was the right thing to do,” he said. “God told me to do it, so I did it.”
    Last edited by GAC; 03-27-2007 at 08:11 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A Local Story That Really Puts It In Perspective

Wow.

There's a lot of good in the world that just goes unnoticed.

Thanks for posting this, GAC.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Agreed. Good post GAC.

"If we magnified good deeds and blessings as much as we magnified dissapointments, we would all be much happier."

John Wooden

Well I feel like scum.

What a special kid.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Agreed. Good post GAC.

"If we magnified good deeds and blessings as much as we magnified dissapointments, we would all be much happier."

John Wooden
    Nice quote. Thats a good part of the reason I don't watch the news or read the newspaper anymore.

If I could only read one book about John Wooden, which one would you have me read?

Thanks.

GL

Wooden

A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court.

Next to the Bible, it is the best book for "Living" that I have ever read. Wooden was special.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Wooden

A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court.

Next to the Bible, it is the best book for "Living" that I have ever read. Wooden was special.
    I'll give it a read. I have read various articles about the man and know generally what he stood for, how he coached, etc. but I haven't read any of his books to date.

GL

MrsK

very nice article - thank you for posting it. reminds me of my 9-yr-old sister - although she's not with us anymore - she was killed by a drunk driver at age 9.

but during her young, short life, she always had a heart for poor people. she had a heart for animals too - loved 'em - big and small - she was going to be a veterinarian when she grew up - but some drunk jerk took her future.

anyway, thanks for posting the article. makes me feel like there still are some nice people in this world.
    Last edited by MrsK; 03-28-2007 at 11:05 PM.

Turn Off Ads?