Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Thoughts about Dice-K

Thoughts about Dice-K

After seeing the much hyped Diceman yesterday, I was hoping to get some thoughts from those of us who saw the game.

My thoughts: Good fastball nice location, nasty breaking stuff, must have 5 or 6 different pitches. I do think a lot of his breaking pitches were balls yesterday leading to the five walks and a high pitch count. I think fastball hitters will have some success against him if they can lay off the breaking stuff. Overall I think he will win a lot of games for the Sox if he can those breaking balls closer to the zone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thoughts about Dice-K

I've read that his fastball is pretty live -- the mystical "gyroball" that Pedro Martinez has been unknowingly hurling for years.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

My first thought, and this is in no way a shot at you Kory, is that I really dislike the 'Dice-K' moniker, I'd prefer the journalists and E-SPiN would just spell it Daisuke. It's not hard to spell out at all.

As for his ability. He seems to be the real deal and I don't think the Red Sox will feel like they over paid ala the Yankees and Hideki Irabu a few years ago.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

He looked good. Slow, deceptive motion. He nearly balks about three times per pitch. Good velocity. Late break.
    Makes all the routine posts.

He impressed the heck out of me. My projections for him go like this: 200 innings, 210 strikeouts, 1.20 WHIP, 3.15 ERA.

He pitches similarly as the other japanese starters that have came over. They will not give in and are willing to walk batters. They are anti-"pitch to contact".
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I thought he looked great; I watched on MLB.com (ok, I was actually working, but did watch when the boss wasn't paying attention), and then watched again last night on FSN (my wife thinks I am crazy).

He was a little out of the strike zone yesterday, not wild (that would be Hansen), but not pinpoint. I think if he can locate those 4 or 5 different pitches of his in the strike zone, along with the 95 mph fastball, he's going to be very tough. He definitely knows what he is doing out there.

The most interesting thing is going to be how his body responds to the American game. There was a very nice write up in SI about this. In Japan, pitchers throw much more than American pitchers do. It's not unusual to have 200 pitch bullpen sessions, 300 foot tossing session to warm up, and to throw from the mound the day after starts, in Japan. Much less arm trouble there, also. BUT, they also use 6 man rotations, and there is no baseball on Mondays (not sure why?) so essentially, starting pitchers go once a week.

With as much mileage as his arm has on it, the Red Sox obtained an MRI. It was totally, absolutely pristine. No sign of any wear or tear. Some men are just meant to be pitchers, some are not, even if they have the right stuff (pun intended).

Bobby Valentine manages a team in Japan now, and he is convinced that MLB clubs handle pitching incorrectly, both in their conditioning and handling. This is directly opposed to the "there are only so many bullets in the arm (popularly attributed to Dr. Frank Jobe)" theory that's been around in the states since the mid-70's.

Previous Japanese pitchers who did well in Japan have faded quickly here in the US. It could be due to a number of things- deeper lineups here, more games, different training, or just bad luck.

I've seen him several times this spring, and, being a Sox fan, I'm probably the least impartial observer you'll get an answer from here. From what I've seen, he was having something of an off day yesterday, his location on all his pitches has been better than that. Hitters still seem a bit baffled by him, that effectively wild thing he had working yesterday won't last too long once they get used to seeing him, but he has so many quality pitches to choose from that it's hard to see how he won't be at least fairly successful if he's healthy. I don't know how anyone could be worthy of the level of hype he's getting without even having thrown a pitch in the majors yet, but he sure does look like a quality, major league caliber, pitcher to me. And all the gyroball mystique nonsense is a lot of fun.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I thought he looked great; I watched on MLB.com (ok, I was actually working, but did watch when the boss wasn't paying attention), and then watched again last night on FSN (my wife thinks I am crazy).

He was a little out of the strike zone yesterday, not wild (that would be Hansen), but not pinpoint. I think if he can locate those 4 or 5 different pitches of his in the strike zone, along with the 95 mph fastball, he's going to be very tough. He definitely knows what he is doing out there.

The most interesting thing is going to be how his body responds to the American game. There was a very nice write up in SI about this. In Japan, pitchers throw much more than American pitchers do. It's not unusual to have 200 pitch bullpen sessions, 300 foot tossing session to warm up, and to throw from the mound the day after starts, in Japan. Much less arm trouble there, also. BUT, they also use 6 man rotations, and there is no baseball on Mondays (not sure why?) so essentially, starting pitchers go once a week.

With as much mileage as his arm has on it, the Red Sox obtained an MRI. It was totally, absolutely pristine. No sign of any wear or tear. Some men are just meant to be pitchers, some are not, even if they have the right stuff (pun intended).

Bobby Valentine manages a team in Japan now, and he is convinced that MLB clubs handle pitching incorrectly, both in their conditioning and handling. This is directly opposed to the "there are only so many bullets in the arm (popularly attributed to Dr. Frank Jobe)" theory that's been around in the states since the mid-70's.
    Previous Japanese pitchers who did well in Japan have faded quickly here in the US. It could be due to a number of things- deeper lineups here, more games, different training, or just bad luck.
    Sox are only going to have him throw 40 to 60 pitches next time out. I definitely don't think he will be used to that.

I think Dice-K will have success his first year in the bigs. Most japanese pitchers do. However I think in his second year he will face some troubles. When the league gets more accustomed to him he will struggle. I still want to see if he will bounce back from the struggles or kind of fade off like a Nomo.

He's the perfect pitcher with no weaknesses.

Here's a summary of several scouting reports that I also posted in the game thread yesterday:

Matsuzaka has four plus pitches:

1. Four-seam fastball: 90-94 mph range/average movement/superb command (65)

2. 2-seam fastball: 89-91 mph range/excellent movement-sinks, and can cut to either corner (60/65)

3. Curve ball: 77-80 mph/devastating movement (70)

4. Changeup: deceptive speed AND movement (55/60)

Matsuzaka has plus velocity.

Matsuzaka understands how to pitch/set up hitters.

Matsuzaka has a rubber arm...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Jim Rome said on his show today that Dice-k was the best story in baseball this year. See. Hamilton, Josh. Rome is a joke if you ask me, I will never get back the five minutes of his show I listened to because he was talking baseball. It was like listening to David Spade talk about bodybuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    Jim Rome said on his show today that Dice-k was the best story in baseball this year. See. Hamilton, Josh. Rome is a joke if you ask me, I will never get back the five minutes of his show I listened to because he was talking baseball. It was like listening to David Spade talk about bodybuilding.
    I understand what where you're coming from but Hamilton is most likely going to be a 5th outfielder on a team most are projecting to be a bottom feeder in the central. Matsuzaka could very likely be a CY winner who pitches in the world series.

Hamilton has alot of resume building to do this season to keep his story intriguing to nonreds fans IMHO...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Much less arm trouble there, also. BUT, they also use 6 man rotations, and there is no baseball on Mondays (not sure why?) so essentially, starting pitchers go once a week.

Bobby Valentine manages a team in Japan now, and he is convinced that MLB clubs handle pitching incorrectly, .
    I guess Ray Knight was ahead of his time when he did the 6 man rotation.

Sadly, since so many players are basically "short term " investments by clubs, I doubt MLB changes, even if the above theory was proven.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

My impressions on Matsuzaka are this....

He is Bronson Arroyo with more heat on his fastball, and maybe a little more movement.

Turn Off Ads?