Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Donovan and UK...

Re: Billy Donovan and UK...

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I keep wondering where this notion comes from.

Search at http://databasebasketball.com/leader...asonsearch.htm shows me that in the last 30 years, of the 50 highest scoring teams (by season), exactly none of them have come from any year after 1991-92.

That's zero (0) in the last 15 years.

Sorting teams by field goal percentage, of the top 50, the most recent is the 1996-97 Utah Jazz at #38.

So I'm curious, if there's no defense played in the NBA, why team scoring averages and shooting percentages are down.
    I honestly think it's because of the one on one style of play. The NBA has gone away from ball movement and shooting and gone to slowing it down and having one guy try to get his own shot until he absolutely has to pass.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I honestly think it's because of the one on one style of play. The NBA has gone away from ball movement and shooting and gone to slowing it down and having one guy try to get his own shot until he absolutely has to pass.

Agreed. My point was to dispute the idea that there is no defense played in the NBA anymore.

If you want to watch some no-defense-playing fools, check out the Denver Nuggets, early 1980s style. Alex English and Kiki Vandeweghe played NO D. And most of those years, they weren't too awful bad.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    ...and that would be bad for UK? Both of those guys are great coaches. Mark Few would be my top choice if I was UK and Donovan says no.
    I've always heard that Few was holding off for his dream job--the Arizona Wildcats--not Kentucky.

Of course, Lute Olsen hasn't exactly put out the vibe that he is ready to step down.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Agreed. My point was to dispute the idea that there is no defense played in the NBA anymore.

If you want to watch some no-defense-playing fools, check out the Denver Nuggets, early 1980s style. Alex English and Kiki Vandeweghe played NO D. And most of those years, they weren't too awful bad.
    Yeah, that was a fun team.

Almost as fun as the Loyola Marymount team of Hank Gaithers and Bo Kimble.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Anyways, I think Durant is going to be like a Rashard Lewis. Potential up to T-Mac, but I think he will end up being more of a Lewis.
    Fair enough, TS!

I really think he ends up better than Lewis though. A lot better. We shall see, I guess.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

According to this...Donovan isn't going anywhere

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2826756

:'(

Stupid Billly, getting my hopes up.

So now who is on the agenda?

It's all over but the crying.....

Thursday, April 5, 2007
    Donovan will stay put as Florida coach

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Andy Katz
    ESPN.com

Billy Donovan, three days removed from leading Florida to a second consecutive national championship, will remain the Gators' coach and not make himself available to interview for the opening at SEC rival Kentucky.

Donovan told Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart early Thursday morning by phone that he wasn't interested in leaving Florida. Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley told ESPN.com that he and Donovan also met Thursday.

In recounting that meeting, "He said, 'This my home, Jeremy. I love the University of Florida. I love you. I had a chance to talk to [wife] Christine and I'm not going anywhere."

Donovan and Foley will discuss terms of a contract extension for the coach after Donovan returns from a planned week-long vacation to the Dominican Republic. Donovan will leave the country Saturday.

"Obviously we've been talking," Foley said. Donovan has two years remaining on his contract. "Friday is about the celebration [for the title] and then he's [vacationing]. This is where he wants to be."

Barnhart left a message for Foley on Wednesday seeking permission to talk to Donovan, but Foley did not want a Donovan-Barnhart conversation to occur until speaking with Donovan himself.

The Wildcats will now move on in their search to find Tubby Smith's replacement. Their search likely will start with Texas' Rick Barnes and possibly include Michigan State's Tom Izzo, Marquette's Tom Crean, Texas A&M's Billy Gillispie and Gonzaga's Mark Few. If Barnes and Izzo are not interested, it's not expected to get past the other three if offered.

Meanwhile, the four Florida juniors -- Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Corey Brewer and Taurean Green -- may make their announcements that they're leaving school to enter the NBA draft either later Thursday or Friday prior to Florida's on-campus celebration of winning the national title.

Information from ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach was used in this report.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 04-05-2007 at 12:57 PM.

I can't fault him for staying at a place he built, but in his lifetime it will never surpass what he could have done at UK.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I'd prefer Few over Gillispie and Crean.

Hehe, good decision for Billy - why anyone would want to put up with the unrealistic and arrogant standards of the UK fan base is beyond me. (no offense to their more elusive, level-headed fans)

I'd stay in sunny Florida with my back-to-back champsionships and long term job security too.

13. Likes:

KronoRed (03-14-2015)

If I was a UK fan I would be screaming if they pursue Rick Barnes. He may be one of the best recruiters around but he can't coach at all. This is a guy who has had TJ Ford, Lamarcus Aldridge, and now Durant and has never been able to win big. This years team was young but it was loaded and they still lost 10 games and were upset by USC. Tubby lost 11 games against a more difficult schedule. He may be the anti-Tubby: good recruiter and horrible coach compared to Tubby as a horrible recruiter and good coach.

Seeing that I can't stand UK I'm really hoping they hire Barnes. You'll get the top players but also the losses.

Re: UK basketball question

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    2= getting to hear Andy Katz and Dick Vitale eat crow

So, how do you like your crow? Rare, medium or well done?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I can't fault him for staying at a place he built, but in his lifetime it will never surpass what he could have done at UK.
    How do you say that? He already has 2 titles, and more great recruits on the way. In all his greatness Adolph Rupp had 4 NCAA titles, and one NIT title in 40 years. What kind of greatness were you expecting him to achieve that he can't do at Florida?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Re: UK basketball question

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So, how do you like your crow? Rare, medium or well done?
    I despise those guys and many of the egotistic talking heads at ESPN but they were right. Hey, maybe they don't hate Kentucky as much as Cats fan attest and in fact they were just taking an unbiased look in assessing the situation.

Turn Off Ads?