My wishful thinking top four for the job at this point:

1. Pearl
    2. Caliparri
    3. D'Antoni
    4. Izzo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UK basketball question

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I despise those guys and many of the egotistic talking heads at ESPN but they were right. Hey, maybe they don't hate Kentucky as much as Cats fan attest and in fact they were just taking an unbiased look in assessing the situation.

Yep. I don't think Vitale hates any school. I think he loves them all. You see him every year on the selection show and he says all the teams on the bubble should get in. He would probably let every team in if he were boss. He may have a lot of love for Duke but I don't think that means he hates UK or any other school. I think fans get their hackles up when the talking heads speculate that so and so won't go to their school. It's not because that they hate that school but they just objectively believe that that coach won't go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Re: Billy Donovan and UK...

Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    My wishful thinking top four for the job at this point:

1. Pearl
    2. Caliparri
    3. D'Antoni
    4. Izzo
    Why do UK fans want D'Antoni? He has never coached in college so he has no experience recruiting and you would have to wait until after the NBA playoffs to offer the job to him. Its tough to sign recruits 2 months before the fall semester.

What rankled me about Dicky V recently was his continued worship of Tubster when the program had been declining for the past five or so seasons. He totally ignored all the stats demonstrating how UK was no longer a top-tier program and just kissed Tubby's *** like it was his job.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What rankled me about Dicky V recently was his continued worship of Tubster when the program had been declining for the past five or so seasons. He totally ignored all the stats demonstrating how UK was no longer a top-tier program and just kissed Tubby's *** like it was his job.

So what. The man's entitled to his opinion. He's a national announcer and he probably thinks that what Tubby accomplished there was good enough for anyplace but UK. And if UK is no longer an elite program, why would Donovan even go there? No wonder Donovan didn't go to UK.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Yeah he's entitled to his opinion, and I'm entitled to my opinion of why I consider him a dumb boob.

UK will always be an elite basketball school. The UK bball program under Tubby was no longer elite. BIG difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He's a national announcer and he probably thinks that what Tubby accomplished there was good enough for anyplace but UK. And if UK is no longer an elite program, why would Donovan even go there? No wonder Donovan didn't go to UK.
    If he thinks that what Tubby accomplished there was good enough for anyplace but UK, he is dead wrong. What Tubby accomplished at Kentucky would not have been good enough at Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas, for starters, and possibly other places, as well. If UK is no longer an elite program, then who has been responsible for that lowering of status?

I'm not pointing these questions at you, Chip, but rather at those who defend Tubby on one hand and delcare that UK is no longer an elite program on the other.

I'm pretty disappointed by Donovan's decision, but oh, well...

Like I said earlier, there was no guarantee that Donovan would win two titles at Kentucky, and there's no guarantee that someone else won't.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    If he thinks that what Tubby accomplished there was good enough for anyplace but UK, he is dead wrong. What Tubby accomplished at Kentucky would not have been good enough at Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas, for starters, and possibly other places, as well. If UK is no longer an elite program, then who has been responsible for that lowering of status?
    Excellent post and well-stated, Mac, 100% agreed.

Tom Izzo
    Rick Barnes
    Tom Crean
    Mark Few
    Bill Gillispie

I think UK has some decent options if those guys are available. I'm not sure that most of those guys wouldn't be just as good.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Rick Barnes :runawaycr :runawaycr :runawaycr
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Rick Barnes :runawaycr :runawaycr :runawaycr
    What do you mean by that, Dab?

Re: UK basketball question

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yep. I don't think Vitale hates any school. I think he loves them all. You see him every year on the selection show and he says all the teams on the bubble should get in. He would probably let every team in if he were boss. He may have a lot of love for Duke but I don't think that means he hates UK or any other school. I think fans get their hackles up when the talking heads speculate that so and so won't go to their school. It's not because that they hate that school but they just objectively believe that that coach won't go there.
    Dick Vitale just loves college basketball - how people still hate him when its clear what he does is not an act, not some schtick, its genuine love for the game, the kids, the coaches.

I used to hate him too - thought he was annoying. But when I realized that was him (and how genuine he was about Jimmy V) I turned the corner and now I just love when he calls a game I wanna watch.

Plus Billy Packer is jealous of him, so big props there!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What do you mean by that, Dab?
    Career .614 winning %, according to UT's website, (compared to Tubby's .733). I think he's not such a good game coach.

Fine recruiter. No denying that.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 04-05-2007 at 03:04 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

WilyMo was spot on, Dickie V is in fact, a dumb boob

Turn Off Ads?