Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Donovan and UK...

Re: Billy Donovan and UK...

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    But they only got 20,444 for their opening game vs. Miami.

For the record, UK only had 2 non conference sell outs: UMass and IU.
    ...and yet Rupp Arena continues to lead college basketball in attendance year after year.

By the way, that was 20,000+ showing up for Miami (Ohio)--not the Big East verison. :

2. Turn Off Ads?

(I think you mean the ACC version... . s'alright. It's hard to keep track.)

I'm not a Kentucky fan, but I am a bit of a Donovan fan, and this one feels right to me. I'll go on the record here saying that he's the new coach by the middle of April. I can't imagine him turning Kentucky down, and I can't imagine there's a coach out there that's a better fit.

If I'm wrong....it won't be the first time.

So has everyone seen this?

According to Darrell Bird of CatsPause.com, UK is poised to name Billy Donovan its new basketball coach after Florida's final game in the NCAA Tournament. According to CatsPause.com, the reported package is a seven year deal worth $3.5 million per year. The report further states there is a $3.5 million loyalty bonus if Donovan completes all seven years. The deal reportedly was made last Thursday and Friday during a meeting with Donovan's agent here in Lexington.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post

If I'm wrong...
    I hope you're not

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    So has everyone seen this?
    Yeah, but there's also this:

UPDATE 3:36 AM EDT (Tuesday): Catspause.com has run a new "Plan B" story which displaces the Donovan contract story from its headline position. Darrell Bird, the Catspause.com publisher, has posted a message on the site's message board indicating this is NOT a done deal and that the story was not intended for the widespread publication it received. Bird appears to be trying to relegate this story back to 'rumor' status.
    So who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by article
    According to Darrell Bird of CatsPause.com, UK is poised to name Billy Donovan its new basketball coach after Florida's final game in the NCAA Tournament. According to CatsPause.com, the reported package is a seven year deal worth $3.5 million per year. The report further states there is a $3.5 million loyalty bonus if Donovan completes all seven years. The deal reportedly was made last Thursday and Friday during a meeting with Donovan's agent here in Lexington.
    Every news agency had Rich Rodriguez signed, sealed, and delivered for something like 7 yrs, 2 mil per year plus incentives... BEFORE the Gator Bowl. We all saw how that went in BSPN and most southern newspapers face. Until Donovan actually holds a presser before believe anything.

I've heard some speculation that Donovan might replace Pat Riley in Miami as well.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    (I think you mean the ACC version... . s'alright. It's hard to keep track.)

I'm not a Kentucky fan, but I am a bit of a Donovan fan, and this one feels right to me. I'll go on the record here saying that he's the new coach by the middle of April. I can't imagine him turning Kentucky down, and I can't imagine there's a coach out there that's a better fit.

If I'm wrong....it won't be the first time.
    Oops. You are right. The Hurricanes is who I was referring to--whichever Conference they are in this year...

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I've heard some speculation that Donovan might replace Pat Riley in Miami as well.
    That rumor is out there:

Could Billy Donovan Coach the Miami Heat Next Year?
    Posted Mar 27th 2007 3:58PM by The Big Lead
    Filed under: Heat, Florida Basketball, Kentucky Basketball, NBA Rumors

Completely random and seemingly out of nowhere, Sports by Brooks sat through the Jim Rome Show Monday, and found himself a great item: Florida coach Billy Donovan isn't going to end up at Kentucky, as his been rumored; instead, he's headed to coach the Miami Heat:

Tom Friend of ESPN The Magazine announced on Jim Rome's ESPN-TV show "Rome is Burning" yesterday that Donovan is going to leave (Florida) and replace Pat Riley as coach of the Miami Heat. What's equally intriguing is that an ESPN reporter on an ESPN network show claims the biggest basketball scoop of the season, yet the report is apparently being ignored by ESPN's news operation.
    After extensive research (read: google news) all I was able to find was this Q&A with a writer from the Sun-Sentinel where the Donovan-to-the-Heat rumors are addressed, but instantly dismissed as poppycock.

I'm probably alone in this, but why would any coach with back-to-back championships (assuming the Gators win this one) under his belt leave for Kentucky? Wildcats fans may not want to hear this, but the current state of that program, compared to where Florida is, makes that a lateral move. Assuming all five Gator starters are gone after this season, I'd still project Florida to finish ahead of Kentucky in the SEC next year.

The NBA, to me, is a likely scenario, but there simply isn't much proof as to whether or not it's happening.
    http://ncaafootball.aolsportsblog.co...he-miami-heat/

I'd ask Billy D to consider the success of those college coaches who have attempted to make the jump in the past few years.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    That rumor is out there:

http://ncaafootball.aolsportsblog.co...he-miami-heat/

I'd ask Billy D to consider the success of those college coaches who have attempted to make the jump in the past few years.

Yes, he could ask his mentor, Mr. P. about that.

Of course, then the sexy Mr. Riley could return to bring his alma mater back to glory.
    teach tolerance.

At this point I hope the golden boy DOES come north and take the job. That way there won't be any excuses if Kentucky should have a similar stretch of what they have had the last couple years. Of course then it will be "cut him some slack, he's just trying to fix what Tubby destroyed." After all, it all comes back to Tubby. He is the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint View Post
    He is the devil.

I thought this was just a photoshop... now I'm not so sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

I thought this was just a photoshop... now I'm not so sure!!
    lol WilyMO

La Dolce Vita

At this point I hope the golden boy DOES come north and take the job. That way there won't be any excuses if Kentucky should have a similar stretch of what they have had the last couple years. Of course then it will be "cut him some slack, he's just trying to fix what Tubby destroyed." After all, it all comes back to Tubby. He is the devil.

Ain't that the truth. There must be a way to blame him for Eddie Sutton, also.
    teach tolerance.

That's an important thing to remember. I think UK fans would be generous enough to give him a year. After that, I think if he doesn't make the Final Four, the natives will get restless. And even if he does make a Final Four and doesn't win it all, there is going to be a lot of criticism. The conventional wisdom is that if Donovan can go to back to back Final Fours at Florida - possibly winning them both - he should dominate at UK. Perhaps even give Wooden's record a run for his money. Plus Donovan would be getting paid a mint and we all know the higher the pay, the higher the expectations. There's no guarantee he's going to deliver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?