Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should major league teams be able to trade their upcoming draft picks like nfl teams?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck no!

11 25.58%
  • Heck yes!

32 74.42%

Thread: Should teams be allowed to trade draft picks?

Should teams be allowed to trade draft picks?

I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are concerning whether mlb teams should be allowed to trade their upcoming draft picks like teams in other professional leagues are allowed to do.

I'm especially curious about your reasoning....
    Last edited by jojo; 03-27-2007 at 02:09 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should teams be allowed to trade draft picks?

I'd only want to see if this if draft money was set in advance based on slot, otherwise you would see all the top picks get traded to the yankees and Red Sox.
    Go Gators!

Krono makes a good point that you'd need to slot the money before the draft in order to prevent it from being a big market boondoggle, but I think it should have been done long ago.

I always thought it was goofy when teams claimed to be rebuilding themselves through the draft. The way the rules currently work, you can't do anything particularly extraordinary in terms of drafting. You can let some of your more attractive free agents walk, but that's the only way of picking up extra picks and good teams tend to see as many defections as bad ones. Obviously drafting well is the key in the current system, but to an extent every team is trying to rebuild itself through the draft every year.

Now, if you could move veteran players for extra picks, then "rebuilding through the draft" would mean something.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

The baseball draft is more of a crapshoot than that of the NFL. In the NFL your first round pick is pretty much relied on to play and produce that season for a team. In MLB a first round pick is 4 years away from producing if everything goes right.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The baseball draft is more of a crapshoot than that of the NFL. In the NFL your first round pick is pretty much relied on to play and produce that season for a team. In MLB a first round pick is 4 years away from producing if everything goes right.
    Nah, if everything goes right, they could play that year.... see Ryan Zimmerman.

If you go the HS route, best case scenario, is 2 1/2 years away unless you draft Griffey or Arod.

College guys though, if they are the best case scenarios, can be at hte major league level that year or the next.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Krono makes a good point that you'd need to slot the money before the draft in order to prevent it from being a big market boondoggle, but I think it should have been done long ago.
    I agree that there should be a slot for salaries, but I don't think you need it for trades. If a player doesn't want to play for a certain team, he can scare them off with salary demands.

That's how someone like Weaver, a top-5 pick, falls to 15. He gets his money and plays for a team that he wants to play for.

Letting teams trade picks would at least net the teams selecting in the top of the draft get something in return.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I agree that there should be a slot for salaries, but I don't think you need it for trades. If a player doesn't want to play for a certain team, he can scare them off with salary demands.

That's how someone like Weaver, a top-5 pick, falls to 15. He gets his money and plays for a team that he wants to play for.

Letting teams trade picks would at least net the teams selecting in the top of the draft get something in return.
    Really though, the slotting argument is somewhat moot. There is already an unspoken slotting system in place that is largely dictated by Bud Selig's office. That's a significant part of the reason that Andrew Miller went to the Tigers in last years draft. He wanted a huge signing package which made him riskier to begin with but also, the notion of teeing off the commish if nothing else gave teams a rationalization for passing if not a legit reason.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Really though, the slotting argument is somewhat moot. There is already an unspoken slotting system in place that is largely dictated by Bud Selig's office. That's a significant part of the reason that Andrew Miller went to the Tigers in last years draft. He wanted a huge signing package which made him riskier to begin with but also, the notion of teeing off the commish if nothing else gave teams a rationalization for passing if not a legit reason.
    And yet the Yankees were allowed to pay 1 million bucks to their 8th round pick last year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And yet the Yankees were allowed to pay 1 million bucks to their 8th round pick last year.
    Yes....it's an "informal" slotting system that you buck at the risk of raising the ire of Selig's office. Detroit ultimately bucked it with Miller too. Selig's ire may not seem like much of a consequence but I think Selig has more pull with owners than a lot of fans may think as evidenced by Selig's successful strong arming during the CBA negotiations.. Besides, it is in the best financial interests of owners to comply with a slotting system even if its an informal one...

Free trade is good.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Nah, if everything goes right, they could play that year.... see Ryan Zimmerman.

If you go the HS route, best case scenario, is 2 1/2 years away unless you draft Griffey or Arod.

College guys though, if they are the best case scenarios, can be at hte major league level that year or the next.
    True Zimmerman burst onto the scene but you also have Ryan Wagner who came up the same year he was drafted. Also Gordon for KC he was one of the most polished players coming out of college and how long has it taken him in the minors?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    True Zimmerman burst onto the scene but you also have Ryan Wagner who came up the same year he was drafted. Also Gordon for KC he was one of the most polished players coming out of college and how long has it taken him in the minors?
    Gordon spent 1 season in the minors at AA and he obliterated the league. He will be starting from day 1 in KC this year.

Pitchers are a different animal than hitters though, and to be honest, Wagner was lights out his first season. I was more gearing my response with hitters.

Does the current system have a de facto salary cap, with the "tax" on teams with high overall salaries? With Selig's office overseeing the money used in relation to draft slots, the oversight is in place, isn't it? Overall, I think trading draft slots would help baseball, and smaller market teams would benefit asymmetrically. If we have one of the high picks who is a Boras client, we currently draft around him if we don't have the money available to sign him. Then the Red Sox, Yankees and other big market (deep pocket) teams scoop them up without us receiving anything in return. I believe that we'd be better off, if we could trade the pick, currently we have less money and no leverage. The old phrase, "The rich get richer", is currently in effect. This could help with the talent balance in MLB. Thoughts?

I voted yes. I don't see why a team can't decide prospects or cash or a trade for other picks is better for them. It would help all teams to be able to make trades.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Free trade is good.
    What 15 said.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?