Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Wade Miller over Prior...

Wade Miller over Prior...

Per the Associated Press:

MESA, Ariz. -- Manager Lou Piniella made it official Tuesday: Wade Miller will be the Chicago Cubs' fifth starter. It means one-time 18-game winner Mark Prior could start the season in the minor leagues.

"He's going be our fifth starter, OK?" Piniella said of Miller. "He's pitched well in camp. He's earned a spot."

Miller, who had shoulder surgery after the 2005 season with the Boston Red Sox, appeared in five games with the Cubs last season. But this spring he's 2-0 with a 3.63 ERA in five starts. The right-hander was 16-8 and 15-4 in 2001 and 2002 with the Houston Astros.

Prior, meanwhile, has made just three appearances this spring and is 0-2 with a 9.82 ERA, although he pitched well last week, allowing one run in four innings.

Gotta admit, the Cubs don't seem quite as menacing with ole Wade runnin' it out there every 5th day instead of a healthy Prior...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hello kitty.gif 
Views:	23 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	4654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hello kitty guitar.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	4655  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wade Miller over Prior...

If Miller can pitch 75% as well as he could before his injury, he's a solid #2 in that rotation.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Let me see if I have this straight, the Cubs are mothballing an obviously ineffective name pitcher? Hmmmmm. Perhaps the Reds could follow their lead on that...

I picked up Miller in fantasy over Looper. It was my last pick so no biggy, but could be high reward. Hermanson not available as he's not on the reds roster yet. that will be a closer I can use.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

I've heard whispers that Prior hasn't been able to get it out of the mid 80s all spring

One Man Army

Prior's got a ways to go before he can go back to his 2003 form. He started out spring training with his fastball in the mid to high 80s, his curveball looking like trash, and no changeup to be found. He's improved since then, as he was clocked in the high 80s/low 90s in his last start, but he's not quite consistent yet.

Long story short, Prior's biggest problem seems to be confidence at this point. Most scouts and coaches who've watched him think that he's holding back, most likely because he's afraid of re-injuring his arm. If it's all in his head, there is reason for hope and for worry. On the one hand, his body has recovered and he has the physical capability to get himself back together. On the other hand, if the guy is a complete headcase, he could pull a Rick Ankiel and go completely down the crapper.

We'll see what happens. Zambrano-Lilly-Marquis-Hill-Miller is a step up from last season for the Cubs. At the very least, no Glendon Rusch is a boost.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Bronson Arroyo's sure gonna miss Glendon Rusch

Prior nor wood have been out of the eighties all spring. You'd have to finally think they're done. The track record from trying to rehab a partial cuff tear is, well, nil.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan View Post
    Prior nor wood have been out of the eighties all spring. You'd have to finally think they're done. The track record from trying to rehab a partial cuff tear is, well, nil.
    If that's the case then we can write off good ol' Eddie Guardado. As I recall he was rehabbing a shoulder tear when his elbow gave out

I would give anything if the Reds would go get Mark Prior. He'll be back on top someday IMO.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    I've heard whispers that Prior hasn't been able to get it out of the mid 80s all spring
    Living in Chicago, I've seen alot of Prior's starts this spring. I haven't seen him hit about 87. He can't get his curve over at all.

I was a Prior fan, and his fall from grace is devistating to watch. He had some freak injuries (running into Marcus Giles and having a ball hit off his elbow), and I think they scared him. If not, he has just been weak all along.

The thing about Prior is, his last real injury was the ball he too off the elbow. Everything I have seen, read, or heard about him is that he just has normal major league pitchers aches and pains and he can not pitch through them.

Going to AAA with do one of two things. It will either motivate him and give him the mentality of (screw) the world, and he'll get motivated and pitch, or he'll go into a shell and become another "remember that guy?" guy.

It's really a shame to see.

People like to clump him and Wood together, but they really are two totally different cases.

Turn Off Ads?