Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sports Illustrated

Sports Illustrated

I'm not sure if you all have seen the SI baseball preview, but they picked the Reds as the 27th best team in the league. In the extremely well-written article I also learned that "Mark" Belisle will be the 5th starter of the "Cincinatti" Reds this season. Not that it means anything but I thought it was interesting to see the complete lack of caring SI put into the Reds' preview.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sports Illustrated

Yeah, were going to finish last in the central supposedly. I don't understand how they made their prediction. we were 80-82 last year, and it' not like we lost 6 starters in the field.

"Mark" Belisle will be the 5th starter of the "Cincinatti" Reds this season.
    :ughmamoru
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I actually thought I read it as "Mike" Belisle - still no better though.
    And most of those previews were pretty lame that I read. I do enjoy a rather generic roster preview of each team, as I really don't have time to keep up on all the teams and roster changes ove rthe winter, etc, but the SI one ain't it...
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Preseason previews are stupid. The only recent preseason poll that was close was Ohio States basketball team.

When I was younger I used to get infuriated when a magazine picked the Reds to finish poorly. Now I am basically as concerned with what these magazines say as I am with what rerun of "King of Queens" is on tonight.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Isnt this the same magazine that predicted the dolphins to make the super bowl this season?

S I is a joke, the only sports magazine worse is ESPN the magazine which I have never subscribed to or paid for but still gets delivered every other week to my house.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

S I is a joke, the only sports magazine worse is ESPN the magazine which I have never subscribed to or paid for but still gets delivered every other week to my house.
    You've got ESPNinsider too huh!? I have a stack problaby 10 feet high that I haven't even cracked open. I think I may have perused the NFL season preview and maybe last years baseball preview. Other than that they can have that rag!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I must admit I do enjoy some of the articles in SI (depending on the author/subject matter), but as far as their previews and the like I agree it's garbage. In general I like their articles that are truly trying to inform and tell a story, not the expose' type things they seem to try to pull off every so often.

For me though there is still a place for a nice concise baseball preview in hardcopy form showing projected 25 man rosters/starters/rotation/etc and notable minor leaguers. But as I said before, that wouldn't be SI.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    You've got ESPNinsider too huh!? I have a stack problaby 10 feet high that I haven't even cracked open. I think I may have perused the NFL season preview and maybe last years baseball preview. Other than that they can have that rag!
    I do have espn insider but I have not paid for it for 2 years and yet I still get the access and that cruddy magazine. I take mine to the YMCA at leave it in the sauna so someone gets some use of it.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

We need competition! I know they're completely different animals, but when I get rich (hey, I'm working on a teaching certificate, so untold wealth is just around the corner!), I am going to buy the rights to both Sport and Inside Sports and put them both back into circulation.

I had a free subscription to SI a couple of years ago. I had NO problem letting it expire.

I believe SI really "jumped the shark" with their recent Global Warming issue. They're done.

Just curious Durl, did you read that issue?

I'm curious as to why Sports Illustrated shouldn't write about how a much talked about issue would have an impact on sports. Isn't that the basic point of the magazine?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I didn't read the issue but I did hear some excerpts from it.

Going into too much detail on why I felt that way about the issue would cause the thread to be closed. Global warming is probably the largest political issue of the day (when it should be a scientific one) so it doesn't belong on the cover of a sports magazine. The editors were just capitalizing on the hype.

Turn Off Ads?