Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: with narron as the wizard, how many bsaves?

with narron as the wizard, how many bsaves?

with all the dexterous tools he has to work with and their high scrappiness factor, figure out how many blown matchups and saves narron will produce with all the great octagenarian permutations in the pen/ It would better to do what the Cards did with their bullpen and bring in younger players. Guys like Hermanson, Cormier, Stanton, Weathers are so attenuated as to be nearly worthless

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: with narron as the wizard, how many bsaves?

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    with all the dexterous tools he has to work with and their high scrappiness factor, figure out how many blown matchups and saves narron will produce with all the great octagenarian permutations in the pen/ It would better to do what the Cards did with their bullpen and bring in younger players. Guys like Hermanson, Cormier, Stanton, Weathers are so attenuated as to be nearly worthless
    The superannuated slingers will not hit the links or the shuffleboard courses.

Does Cormier remind you of Ted Davidson on steroids or of Greg Cadaret on phen-fen

I have heard Narron busting for the last 8 months. Many Redzoners bust on him. Can someone show me how he has personally lost games with his managing? Most of what I hear form his mouth is pretty right on, but I have to admit, I do not follow his "in game" decision making.

Over all, without micro-picking at him, I have been pretty impressed. other than the meltdown of the team at the end of the year (which I am not sure was his fault), I think he has taken the post Bowden years pretty well. Are their any other Narron believers out there?
    "Just shut up and play baseball"...Mike Piazza

I don't know where the lock on Hermanson making the team comes from. Certainly not from the REDS. Its definitely seems to be a media thing but as far as WayneK and Narron have said it seems that they will go with the best bullpen possible and if someone is able to be a closer so they can define the roles then they will. At this point I think Hermanson is as much challenging for a position in the bullpen as JC and Jared Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I have heard Narron busting for the last 8 months. Many Redzoners bust on him. Can someone show me how he has personally lost games with his managing? Most of what I hear form his mouth is pretty right on, but I have to admit, I do not follow his "in game" decision making.
    without having to go through every game log, the pitch to Albert Pujols fiasco immediately comes to mind.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    without having to go through every game log, the pitch to Albert Pujols fiasco immediately comes to mind.
    Or not having a lefty in the pen ready in case Hafner pinch hit with the bases loaded. Instead, Mays pitched to him and Hafner went year.

Or everytime he chose to play Royce Clayton over EE last year.

Honestly, I don't think he is as bad as people make him out to be though.

WAGS

Over all, without micro-picking at him, I have been pretty impressed. other than the meltdown of the team at the end of the year (which I am not sure was his fault), I think he has taken the post Bowden years pretty well. Are their any other Narron believers out there?

Bringing in Ryan Franklin in the 8th of a tie game with the Cardinals is the move that lost me. This was on the heels of some of the other moves posted here. Also, pitching Ramirez in relief one night and the starting him the next afternoon. EDE benching. General wrong guy at the wrong time choices over and over again.

I think Narron has some things to his credit. The way he has handled Josh Hamilton all winter and the way he handled Griffey this spring are examples, but this team needs a first rate bench coach who can be trusted to make the in-game decisions as situations evolve. It isn't Narron's strength, and other managers have had that, especially at the beginning. Sparky had George Scherger and Joe Torre had Don Zimmer to name two. I'm not sure Bucky Dent is a good fit in that role.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Or not having a lefty in the pen ready in case Hafner pinch hit with the bases loaded. Instead, Mays pitched to him and Hafner went year.

Or everytime he chose to play Royce Clayton over EE last year.

Honestly, I don't think he is as bad as people make him out to be though.
    First the bolded portion. What does this mean? Clayton only played shortstop last year for us. Perhaps you meant Juan Castro? I'm one who didnt' have a problem with some of what went on with EE last year - I think in the long run it will prove to have made him a better player.

I'm a Narron supporter, but I do know (and he acknowledged his mistake) he left Milton in after gutting through a game and we lost it after Milton let up a homer.

I'm sure there are, in fact, other games that could be laid at his feet, but I think that would prove to be true of any big league manager. There are a certain number of games a manager will blow with their mechinations.

Playing Clayton at SS and Aurillia at 3b is effectively playing Clayton over EE.
    I'm not sure how often that happened though.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm one who didnt' have a problem with some of what went on with EE last year - I think in the long run it will prove to have made him a better player.
    In what way did benching the kid with no explanation, a kid that by all reports works his butt off, help him in the long run?

GL

The EE situation around the AS break last year was a complete fiasco. The man should have been fired then and there.

I haven't been on RZ that long but I've seen the same thing posted in the springtime about Miley...a claim of support followed by a request for specifics which no one has at their fingertips. Those type of posts seem to go away as the next season progresses and Miley/Narron show time and again they may be good guys but are lousy managers.

Aside from the ridiculous handling of Ramirez (called in to relief late one night, started the next, then demoted to AAA - great confidence builder for a 23-year-old):

How about when he pinch-hit for EE on July 20 with the bases loaded, despite the fact he was the Reds' best hitter with the bases loaded during the season, and ALSO despite the fact that he was already 2 for 2 with a walk up to that point in the game.

Whatever you feel about how he handled EE for his defensive shortcomings, this was another stunning example of potentially undermining a young player's confidence.

Just one of many head-scratchers by Narron.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    In what way did benching the kid with no explanation, a kid that by all reports works his butt off, help him in the long run?

GL
    As I understood it last season, in fact during that time period, he was working his butt off practicing with the coaching staff repeatedly. I think, ultimately, it did him good to have the break, learn his trade, not be constantly making errors and has come back the better player for it. I never saw this handling of EE as a failure on Narron's part.

Sadly, there are some folks here who will always hate him. I think history will prove him to be a fairly decent major league manager. I continue to point to the case of Joe Torre, who had a less than stellar record at early points in his career and note that he was given the time (and didn't have to put up with the sort of harangues that come off the internet AND cable television AND talk radio these days).

I don't say Narron hasn't cost us games, but I will say, every manager in the book has done that at one time or another.

Turn Off Ads?