Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Turner expected to play second base for Dragons

Turner expected to play second base for Dragons

Turner expected to play second base for Dragons
    Click-2-Listen
    By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

SARASOTA, Fla. — During a spring training break Tuesday, Justin Turner said it was no surprise to him that so many of the Billings, Mont., Mustangs did so well last season.

"We had an experienced group," said Turner of his rookie Pioneer League season in the Reds system. "A lot of us played four years in college."

The experience showed. Turner, a seventh-round draft choice out of Cal State-Fullerton — where he played four years with outfielder Danny Dorn, also a Reds draft pick — hit .338 with six homers and 41 RBIs in 60 games.

He is expected to be the next second baseman for the Class A Midwest League Dayton Dragons, who open their eighth season next week.

Philosophies vary from team-to-team on drafting players. Some like to go after high school players to train them professionally from the start. Some like drafting the more mature — physically and mentally — college players.

Terry Reynolds, once chief of the Reds amateur scouting department and now director of player development, just wants to draft the best players.

Last summer, the Reds took only four high school players among their top 32 picks, only two in the first 10 rounds.

"We took Jay Bruce out of high school the year before," Reynolds said, "and Drew Stubbs (out of the University of Texas) last year. We want the best players."

Reynolds said he expected the Billings team to win with its older players.

"They should do well," he said.

Turner said it's because in college, without a game every day, players are drilled over and over and over.

"We'd spend a four-hour practice on bunt defense," Turner said. "You'd have to be a moron not to know baseball after playing that long in college."

The biggest learning curve will come from playing every day. In college, teams play about 50 games a season. Rookie ball is a half season. Class A is 140 games, five full months with almost no breaks.

"I think it's exciting," Turner said. "Hopefully, I can pace myself. It's all on you. In college, there was a coach to make you run laps if you did something wrong, or showed up late. Here, there are so many guys, a coach can't watch everybody. It's your career."

DRAGONS TALES

When Reynolds — who was watching inter-squad games on a "camp" day Tuesday — was asked when he would solidify the Dragons roster, he pointed to Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky, who also was watching the minor-leaguers.

"I haven't had much time to do this," said Krivsky, whose Reds were playing a night game. "We've had so many injuries."

With less than a week to go in spring training, the Reds continue to use players in exhibition games who have already been sent to the minor-league complex. After going through morning drills and games with minor-league teams, shortstop Paul Janish, outfielder Jay Bruce and catcher Ryan Hanigan were all told to come back and play for the Reds against the Phillies in Clearwater at night.

•Krivsky said a few of this season's Dragons will probably head to Dayton early to participate in Saturday's exhibition at Fifth Third Field between the Reds and Florida Marlins. He said the Real Reds would start before replacements are used.

•Sean Watson, a second-round pick out of Tennessee last summer who had a hot start at Billings (1.52 ERA) but had a rough go in Dayton (8.59 ERA), has shed nearly 20 pounds (down to 222) and is being remade into a starter. He'll probably be back with the Dragons.

•Name to remember: Daryl Thompson. He's a hard-throwing right-hander who also might make the Dayton team and was one of the players in that eight-guy swap with Washington last summer featuring Austin Kearns, etc. leaving the Reds for Bill Bray, Gary Majewski, etc.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...ragonsweb.html

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Turner expected to play second base for Dragons

It's neat that Kriv is keeping the Mustangs group together- as that's what the management did with the Twins group 5-6 years ago- but putting guys who are all turning 23 by the end of 2007 in Low-A ball means there isn't a ton of room for error if you want these guys to be younger than Chris Denorfia when they get to the big leagues.

Glad to hear Watson will be starting -- nice work by him to lose 20 lb.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    It's neat that Kriv is keeping the Mustangs group together- as that's what the management did with the Twins group 5-6 years ago- but putting guys who are all turning 23 by the end of 2007 in Low-A ball means there isn't a ton of room for error if you want these guys to be younger than Chris Denorfia when they get to the big leagues.
    I agree with you on this one. I mean there is only so long you can keep guys together. Someone is going to earn a promotion by the all star break, probably more than 1 guy. You are going to have to split them up.

When the minor league rosters come out, I want to see how many of the top college draft picks from other teams are in Low A like the Reds seem to want to have. The Reds seem to consistantly start college guys in Dayton, and with what most of them did last year in Billings, Sarasota seems like a better idea for most of them.

I'd have to agree.You would think after the year most of the college guy's had in short season that they might skip a level. I also would think that Bruce should make the jump to AA. It looks like the Reds would like everyone to make a stop in Dayton before they advance. It could so they get a taste of playing in a top notch facility in front of big crowds. Sarasota has pretty poor attendance.
    Last edited by Redman15; 03-28-2007 at 02:15 PM.

I thought they might do that with Watson, they were stretching him out late in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    I'd have to agree.You would think after the year most of the college guy's had in short season that they might skip a level. I also would think that Bruce should make the jump to AA. It looks like the Reds would like everyone to make a stop in Dayton before they advance. It could so they get a taste of playing in a top notch facility in front of big crowds. Sarasota has pretty poor attendance.
    They tend to send everyone through dayton. I think it has to deal with Dayton being a big cincinnati reds town. I would say the majority of the fans are reds fans and it is only 45-60 minutes away from the reds stadium. I think if you put your future stars in dayton they will want to see them when they do make it to the bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    They tend to send everyone through dayton. I think it has to deal with Dayton being a big cincinnati reds town. I would say the majority of the fans are reds fans and it is only 45-60 minutes away from the reds stadium. I think if you put your future stars in dayton they will want to see them when they do make it to the bigs.
    I think that's the rational as well. Let the Dayton-area fans get exposure to top draftees in Dayton so that they will be future Cincinnati Reds ticket buyers when those players make it to the big leagues. Its not a stupid idea, marketing wise, IMO.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?