Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pete Roses cheap shot torwards West Virginia!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pete Roses cheap shot torwards West Virginia!

Did anybody watch Jay Leno monday night?? Well he was on there and he started out with a joke about Leno and his first guest might be brothers b/c of their big chins,Well that ended up getting a big laugh with the crowd.Jay then asked him about the gambling,he asked Pete how many times did he bet.Pete said everygame!! Jay said you betted everynight?? Well Pete tried to make it into a joke and said If I did'nt bet that night then my phone was tore up(then he started laughing.

Well the place went quiet and the people that was there watching the show did'nt laugh at all.Jay looked at Pete and said this comedy can be a B****!! Pete said D*** I was about to think you all was from West Virginia. Now guys that might not sound like much to you guys but I took it that he thinks that West Virginians don't have no personality at all,and West Virginians are stupid.

I don't know if he just got caught up on being on the show and was'nt thinking or he really ment it.I took it that he really ment what he was saying and for me being a big Pete Rose fan for me to here those words come out of his mouth was really dissapointing.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Re: Pete Roses cheap shot torwards West Virginia!

I actually thought worse than you. I assumed it was an inbreeding/everyone's related reference (still about the chin thing).

I also thought that Leno looked uncomfortable when he made the remark. He may have had no idea what Pete meant.

At any rate, this goes back to what I said on the other thread; Pete has no inner censor. If he thinks it, he says it. I grew up with his poster on my wall, but I've come to the point that I just remember who he was when he played and accept the rest.
    Last edited by tixe; 03-28-2007 at 12:36 AM.

Tixe,Leno did look very uncomfortable when he said that... He had a look like wow why say something like that.I was just in shock after he said that b/c he said it out of no where.You could be right about the inbreeding comment he might have been meaning that.

It just hurts hearing a great player that was your favorite player come out and say something like that.Im beginning to think were the hof isn't letting him in that he takes it out on everybody else and that isn't right.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

I hate to say it, but I don't know where people get off saying this stuff about West Virginia and Kentucky being ripe areas for inbreeding. There are plenty of places in Ohio that would be better candidates for that title.

My family all come from the Logan, Del Barton, and Lenore areas respectively and I can attest that the people I've met down there are far more civil than the people that are from what others consider "more developed" or "more evolved" areas.

Classic case of Pete once again putting his foot in his mouth.

There are not all that many topics that I am more senstitive to than the ignorant stereotyping of West Virginians. I've heard and read such garbage most of my life. Like much of what Pete Rose has said and done during the wreck he has made of his life during the last few decades, his slur against West Virginians shouldn't have helped his cause in any way.
    Rose joking about betting on the Reds everynight was also offensive, although probably at least honest in a way, as it is an indication that, even now, Pete Rose really believes that he didn't do anything wrong.
    Hey Pete--my boyhood idol, the guy whose photo I had posted in my room as a kid, the guy I cheered so hard for for two decades--why don't you just shut your mouth and fade away!!!
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    There are not all that many topics that I am more senstitive to than the ignorant stereotyping of West Virginians. I've heard and read such garbage most of my life.
    I actually don't mind when "those guys" make fun of Ohio in such a way. I tend to think that it keeps more of "them" on the coasts which is just fine and dandy with me.

If people really knew what West Virginia had to offer they'd ruin the place in a decade. Be happy they are ignorant, it won't last forever.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    If people really knew what West Virginia had to offer they'd ruin the place in a decade. Be happy they are ignorant, it won't last forever.

GL

I've said the same thing about The Bluegrass State a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post

Psst... it really doesn't rain in Oregon all the time... we just say that to keep people away.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post

Exactly. Don't let the secret out.

They're both beautiful, and w/ the same mix of "the good, the bad and the idgits" as the surrounding states. (and yes, as a person, Pete Rose always has and always will be in the "idgit" category. )

Like John Denver says..."almost heaven, West Virginia"...the same can certainly be said for my home in the Bluegrass area of KY.
    Last edited by Sweetstop; 03-28-2007 at 11:11 AM.
    teach tolerance.

Yeah I've always been a pretty stalwart supporter of putting Pete in the HoF, but hearing comments like this against my WV brethren is just about enough to turn me off to him totally. One side of my family came from Pike County, KY, and I'm undoubtedly related to a bunch of WV'ers.

For a Level Playing Field

On the bright side... consider the source. A real intelligent guy making these comments, right? Not IMO and I am sure that opinion is shared by most here. If I had to bet my life savings on who is smarter, Pete Rose or your typical person from WV, my money is on that Mountaineer. No ifs, ands or buts about it. As a matter of fact I'd probably put my money on about 97% of people from WV being smarter than Pete Rose.

Senor Votto

Pete just dropped a couple of notches in my book.

Yeah I'm with you, these "jokes" are rediculous, and nobody stands up to say anything. People will get pissed with other jokes, but this is okay...i don't know, I notice this elsewhere in life and it pisses me off (I'm not from WV, but it's still uncalled for.)
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Supreme Jar Opener

Oh.. there are jokes like that no matter where you go... I've been known to make a Kentucky joke here and there... and my husband is from WV... you should hear the jokes I make about that...

Northerners love Southerner jokes. Southerners love Northern jokes. East coast/west coast, university against university. Pretty much everyone likes to take a jab at those from other parts of the country and most get a good laugh out of them.

Turn Off Ads?