Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Tips

Opening Day Tips

Hey all,

I thought the time was right to take my 8 year old to his first Opening Day. I figure any kid who is a Reds fan needs to skip school at least once to make the trip.

We are coming down from Columbus, and need some info on the parking situation. Normally, we exit at Third and park along the river in a lot at the corner of Third and Pete Rose Way, I believe (about a 10 minute walk). But, with it being Opening Day, not sure if that will be an option. We plan on arriving around 10 or 10:30.

Any advice on where to park would be appreciated. We were thinking about seeing the parade, is that worth it?

Thanks!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Opening Day Tips

Quote Originally Posted by RedsRock View Post
    Hey all,

I thought the time was right to take my 8 year old to his first Opening Day. I figure any kid who is a Reds fan needs to skip school at least once to make the trip.

We are coming down from Columbus, and need some info on the parking situation. Normally, we exit at Third and park along the river in a lot at the corner of Third and Pete Rose Way, I believe (about a 10 minute walk). But, with it being Opening Day, not sure if that will be an option. We plan on arriving around 10 or 10:30.

Any advice on where to park would be appreciated. We were thinking about seeing the parade, is that worth it?

Thanks!
    The parade is definitely worth it, especially for an 8 year old. Might as well take in the whole experience. We generally watch from somewhere just east of Fountain Square. It's the end of the route so it takes longer to start, but you're closer to the stadium when it's over.

As for parking, by that time of the morning I'd take the first thing you can get, but I'm not very patient. Parking under the fountain or under the Westin is probably the best combination of cheap/close, but by that time of the morning streets are starting to close.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

What do you want to spend for parking? If I dont have a pass I will usually park by sawyer point. Its cheaper and it isn't too far of a walk. Last year was a mess with the president but this year should be ok security wise. If you arrive that early you shouldn't have a problem with anything.

On the same subject are there any watering holes within walking distance on the Cincinnati side of the stadium anymore?? Also are kids allowed inside?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Don't park downtown unless you get there the night before or early that morning. I can't stress this enough. Parking spaces will be few and far between and you'll have to pay an arm and a leg for it.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Zoinks!

I would suggest parking at Newport On The Levee and take the shuttle over. They run every few minutes and saves you the hassle of looking for a downtown parking spot and paying out the nose for one.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    On the same subject are there any watering holes within walking distance on the Cincinnati side of the stadium anymore?? Also are kids allowed inside?
    If you park in newport, which is about a 10-15 minute walk you can go to the Hofbrau house which I know they allow kids. Gameday Cafe is nice and only a 5 minute walk from the stadium but I dont know if they allow kids. You can also check out rock bottom brewery but that is in fountain square and it may be crowded especially with the parade.

I never have a problem finding parking on Opening Day. If I can't find it on a side street (east), then I park under FSquare or the Weston, even though it costs more of course (it's only $1 after 6 pm and weekends).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

My father and I were going to head down early (ie. 8:00ish) and park under Fountain Square. Then we'd go get a big breakfast, catch the parade, bumb around and then eventually see an opening day baseball game.

8:00ish early enough to get a spot under fountain square?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    My father and I were going to head down early (ie. 8:00ish) and park under Fountain Square. Then we'd go get a big breakfast, catch the parade, bumb around and then eventually see an opening day baseball game.

8:00ish early enough to get a spot under fountain square?
    It should be, but be prepared to wait. Most of the river front lots that the downtown workforce park in are closed, so they'll all be headed for the fountain as well. When we go down that early, we generally park at Sawyer Point. It's a bit of a walk to the parade, but it's usually pretty cheap and is an easy exit after the game.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I never have a problem finding parking on Opening Day. If I can't find it on a side street (east), then I park under FSquare or the Weston, even though it costs more of course (it's only $1 after 6 pm and weekends).
    I almost always park at the Federated Building between Sixth & Seventh St (on Vine). Cheapest parking in the city. Another Federated Garage is over by the Cathedral, just a couple blocks north of the Convention Center. Both are very affordable.

What is the cost to park at Newport on the Levee

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    What is the cost to park at Newport on the Levee
    IIRC it's anywhere between $3-$5.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 3-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Thanks KittyDuran. How far is it from Newport on the Levee and Hooters? Maybe park there and ride Ferry across to game.

RedsFan4Life

It's only about a ten minute walk, but it's safer and easier to walk along the river. Just go down the steps to the bottom of the floodwall.
    "This is some kind of game, ain't it?" -- Pete Rose

Turn Off Ads?