Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 0.00 era

0.00 era

even pitching against his former team, santos continues his masterful brilliance, but all people want to do is talk about burton and coutilagus

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 0.00 era

What are the odds Santos actually makes the squad?

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    even pitching against his former team, santos continues his masterful brilliance, but all people want to do is talk about burton and coutilagus

Anybody else remember Josias Manzanillo? I'm just saying.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    What are the odds Santos actually makes the squad?
    Since he's been pitching against single a and double a kids, I don't put much stock into his era. He's 30. He's sucked in the majors for years, and he couldn't keep a era under 4.50 for most of his career (excluding his rookie season).

I'd say his triple a filler/back up at best.

I wouldn't take Santos north with me over Burton or Coutlangus.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    Anybody else remember Josias Manzanillo? I'm just saying.
    That was the first name that I thought of also. Manzanillo wasn't lights out though like Santos has been. It would be tough to leave him off the roster, but I think he's a victim of a numbers crunch. I also think the organization will do whatever is necessary to keep Burton on the roster.

I hope that Santos will accept an assignment to Louisville. It would nice to have another arm like his just a phone call away.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    That was the first name that I thought of also. Manzanillo wasn't lights out though like Santos has been. It would be tough to leave him off the roster, but I think he's a victim of a numbers crunch. I also think the organization will do whatever is necessary to keep Burton on the roster.

I hope that Santos will accept an assignment to Louisville. It would nice to have another arm like his just a phone call away.
    He has to accept an assignment to Louisville as he was signed to a minor league deal with invite to spring training.

Btw, He's lights out against single a and double a players. I wouldn't really call him the next big thing. He sucks big time in real games.

Why are people so big on him?

His era has never been equal to or less than league average. I hate spring training stats..

This guy has posted era's of...

3.30 (76.3 innings in 2001)
    10.38 (26 innings in 2002)
    7.01 (25 innings in 2003)
    4.97 (154 innings 2004)
    4.57 (141.7 innings in 2005)
    5.70 (115.3 innings in 2006)

Why the love for that? He's more or less another Milton type pitcher who can sucessfully get single a and double a batters out. His comparables are Paul Wilson, Jesus Sanchez, Dick Pole (ironic don't ya think?), and Tim Redding.

All of the above suck.

Lets take a closer look...

As a starter he's giving up

18 homeruns in 2004
    20 homeruns in 2005
    16 homeruns in 2006

He's going to give up the bombs big time in GABP.

Walk to strike outs.
    2004 57 115
    2005 60 89
    2006 42 81

One decent year where he had way more strike outs than walks. His lowest whip as a starter is 1.468, his highest last year being 1.665.

I don't believe this guy has magically put it all together at all.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    Why are people so big on him?
    I don't think very many people are.

I don't think very many people are.
    I hope not. If so, I'll keep writting posts about how bad he sucks lol.

Someone's gotta say it..might as well be me.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Looking at his numbers the last three years, would he be any worse than Milton?

Looking at his numbers the last three years, would he be any worse than Milton?
    I'd say he'd be dead equal to, if not slightly (he gets hot for a few games) better. I wouldn't expect dramatic results, however I also wouldnt expect that era to tank past 6 like I do with Milton.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Why the love for that? He's more or less another Milton type pitcher who can sucessfully get single a and double a batters out. His comparables are Paul Wilson, Jesus Sanchez, Dick Pole (ironic don't ya think?), and Tim Redding.

All of the above suck.

except Milton is giving up on average 5 HR a game against single A ball players

Thats been my point. Santos is the type of number 5, who you can replace later for better or replace your current crappy pitcher with now. He may stay way to just above league average.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I'd say he'd be dead equal to, if not slightly (he gets hot for a few games) better. I wouldn't expect dramatic results, however I also wouldnt expect that era to tank past 6 like I do with Milton.
    I agree, so now is the time to see if any other club is possibly buying into Santos (as well as Milton, but that is an obvious statement.)
    I hope to never see Santos near this rotation, unless somehow he is dominant at AAA for a sustained period of time and we are in desp. need.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    I agree, so now is the time to see if any other club is possibly buying into Santos.
    I can get behind that idea. It can't hurt to see if any team has fallen in love with his "lights out" spring.

Turn Off Ads?