Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunn having good spring

Dunn having good spring

Dunn having good spring
    Slugger credits hitting coach

By Josh Katzowitz
    Post staff reporter

Adam Dunn is happy to be working with his favorite hitting instructor Brook Jacoby.

CLEARWATER, Fla. - Without hesitation and without prompting, Adam Dunn says Brook Jacoby was and is the best hitting coach he ever had. They worked together in Class AAA Louisville where Dunn hit .320 with 20 home runs in 210 at-bats, and Dunn says Jacoby is the reason he made the big leagues.

Dunn trusts Jacoby, because Dunn thinks Jacoby can get the best out of him.

When Dunn ended last season with a .234 batting average and 194 strikeouts - both were the second-worst marks of his career - the Reds left fielder knew he needed help. He could see on videotape what he was doing wrong, but he couldn't quite figure out how to fix it. Enter Jacoby, who was hired as Cincinnati's hitting coach in November and who traveled to Texas this winter to visit with Dunn for a few days.

The reason for the stopover, Dunn said Tuesday, was pretty simple.

"We just hit," Dunn said. "And, uh, pretty much just hit."

It was what Dunn needed after the final two months of last season when he batted .174 with 75 strikeouts. He doesn't want to talk about those dark days, but he wanted Jacoby's help.

They hit, Jacoby adjusted Dunn's mechanics, they hit and Jacoby adjusted Dunn's mechanics some more. No big changes, though. Just little tweaks here and there.

"I don't know, I'm just trying to see some pitches, and when I do swing, I just try to stay though the middle instead of trying to pull out," Dunn said. "It really hasn't changed a whole lot. It's a lot of little stuff. He was showing me some stuff to work on before I got to spring. I didn't want to take those bad habits going into spring. It was starting over."

The statistics tell you that Jacoby's intervention, so far, has been successful. Dunn, it seems, has reinvented himself.

Following Cincinnati's 6-2 loss to the Phillies on Tuesday at Bright House Networks Field, Dunn is hitting .383 with four home runs and 12 RBIs. He's not necessarily trying to see how far he can hit the ball down the right field line. He's trying to do more than that now.

"All spring, he's hit extremely well," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "He hasn't been trying to hit home runs. He's been trying to make good, solid contact. Mechanically, he's made some slight differences. I'm sure the longer Brook works with him, the better both of them will be together and the better (Dunn) will be."

Which doesn't mean Dunn has changed his approach at the plate. Even if teams continue to shift the defense to the right side of the field - Dunn said Tuesday such a shift should be illegal, and it wasn't clear whether he was kidding - he's not going to change his swing and mess with his mechanics.

"I'm not going to try to hit the ball the other way," Dunn said. "That's not what I'm here for. That's not what I do. But if a pitch needs to go that way, I want to be able to do it instead of rolling it over to second base."

Whatever he and Jacoby have done, it's working. Dunn said his favorite hitting coach is a big reason for that.

"He's the best hitting coach I've ever had," Dunn said. "He's the one who got me up here. I have to trust him. He's what got me to the big leagues. I definitely have all the confidence in the world in him."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....703280330/1027

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn having good spring

Does a good spring make up for a miserable September?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    You can't change the past. Nor can you dwell on it. But you can learn from it and grow.

Turning Adam Dunn into basically a dead pull hitter was a mistake IMO. That may be his "strength", but pitchers can find ways to "neutralize" and take advantage of a hitter whose focus is so narrow. That doesn't mean that Dunn can be a hitter like a Rose-Carew-Gywnn type, spraying the ball all over the field; but he can also learn to adjust, go with pitches, and use all fields more. IMO, last year, Dunn was always looking for a particular pitch in his "zone". The problem? Pitchers knew that was his zone too, and weren't gonna give it to him.

One of the things I always admired about Adam was his batting eye and plate discipline. But I think he took the plate discipline aspect too far, meaning, he was he taking strikes (good pitches) because they weren't the pitch he was wanting/looking for. Being too selective also put him behind in the count alot, and at a pitcher's mercy. Just my observation. But I'm no Jacoby.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-28-2007 at 08:31 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

And I thought I was pessimistic.

Last edited by creek14; 03-28-2007 at 08:19 PM.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Nope and Dunn wasnt the only one who had a miserable September/October.

Dunn: .157
    Griffey: .071
    Encarnacion: .214
    Freel: .208
    Phillips: .149
    Ross: .185
    Hatteberg: .206

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Nope and Dunn wasnt the only one who had a miserable September/October.

Dunn: .157
    Griffey: .071
    Encarnacion: .214
    Freel: .208
    Phillips: .149
    Ross: .185
    Hatteberg: .206
    What happend to everyone in September? It's really amazing when you look at it.

I think Brandon's first full year caused him to struggle down the stretch. Can't quite make that same argument for EE though, since he didn't get as many AB's....as he should have! Hatty was hot most of the year so his drop wasn't too surprising.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

Dunn is having a good spring.

Odds are he will have a good season as well. With all of his faults Adam has been very productive so far.

We in Reds Country have a history of undervaluing some of our best players.
    Frank Robinson, Eric Davis, Adam Dunn. They aint perfect but they aint bad eighther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Dunn is having a good spring.

Odds are he will have a good season as well. With all of his faults Adam has been very productive so far.

We in Reds Country have a history of undervaluing some of our best players.
    Frank Robinson, Eric Davis, Adam Dunn. They aint perfect but they aint bad eighther.
    We also have a history of overvaluing them to. Especially when it comes to trading them away, and what we should get in return.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    We also have a history of overvaluing them to. Especially when it comes to trading them away, and what we should get in return.
    Maybe so, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by fisch11 View Post
    I think Brandon's first full year caused him to struggle down the stretch. Can't quite make that same argument for EE though, since he didn't get as many AB's....as he should have! Hatty was hot most of the year so his drop wasn't too surprising.
    Why are you knocking EE? Looking at that list, he was fiery hot in September...

Perhaps they were all distracted with managing their fantasy football rosters...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Why are you knocking EE? Looking at that list, he was fiery hot in September...

Perhaps they were all distracted with managing their fantasy football rosters...
    Edwin's September numbers....

Code:
              Month      AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS  AVG   OBP  SLG   OPS
             September   84 9 18 3 0   1  5  10  1  16  5  0  .214  .299 .286 .585

Yes GAC. My sentence was sarcasm. SARCASM. Because EE's numbers only look FIERY HOT when looking at that list if you compare it to the rest of the DREADFUL numbers the Reds put up in September.

Sarcasm. Catch the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Yes GAC. My sentence was sarcasm. SARCASM. Because EE's numbers only look FIERY HOT when looking at that list if you compare it to the rest of the DREADFUL numbers the Reds put up in September.

Sarcasm. Catch the wind.
    I'll have to admit that one slipped me as well.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I'll have to admit that one slipped me as well.
    The fantasy football roster management line I had wasn't a giveaway?

Noted. No more sarcasm from me...until I do.

Turn Off Ads?