Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hopper likely to DL

Hopper likely to DL

Guess we get 3 catchers.....oh joy

From John Fay:

This just in . . . Hopper likely to the DL

Outfielder Norris Hopper will not be coming north with the Reds.

"He might be DLed," Jerry Narron said.

Does that mean Chad Moeller gets the last spot for a position player?

"He's got a good chance,"Narron said.

Dewayne Wise will also make the trip to Dayton, so there a chance he could make if the Reds decide they need an outfielder. Remember, Ryan Freel hasn't played since he hit the wall in Clearwater. He is in the lineup today.

The call on who is fifth starter -- Matt Belisle or Kirk Saarloos -- will probably be announced Sunday. Both are pitching today.
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hopper likely to DL

Moeller is all but a lock now. The flexibility on the already thin bench is completely shot.

YUK!

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Moeller is all but a lock now. The flexibility on the already thin bench is completely shot.
    You guys act like you are shocked, you remember that Jerry Narron is still the manager right? I for one am shocked that we are not bringing Mark Bellhorn north this year.

Jeez Moeller sucks wind. What a horrible bench we're carrying into the season!

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    You guys act like you are shocked, you remember that Jerry Narron is still the manager right? I for one am shocked that we are not bringing Mark Bellhorn north this year.
    Well, if Bellhorn was a catcher or a few years older then I'd guess he would be heading north.

I personally am not shocked to see Moeller likely making the squad. I've expected it since the day he signed his contract. Carrying 12 pitchers makes this weak bench even worse. No depth or flexibility.

Tent with the same bad news:
    looks like three catchers

SARASOTA, Fla. -- In my last post from F-L-A -- Norris Hopper is expected to start the season on the disabled list and stay here in Sarasota. That means it looks like NGITW, Chad Moeller, will be breaking with the team and start the season on the big league roster. There are now 27 players in camp, and two pitchers are gonna be trimmed from the roster by Sunday at 3 p.m.
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Moeller is all but a lock now.
    ... was there ever any doubt?

wow

I really didn't think this would happen.

Who's Moeller going to catch? Will he even get the same gig Larue had, catching one guy regularly?

I tend to disagree with most of you guys (at least those who speak on it) about Moeller...we need a good defensive catcher...Ross scares me a little behind the plate and FBOW Valentin is not viewed as a catcher...he's a pinch-hitter and potentially even a part-time 1B if Conine gets much OF time...

Quite honestly, if Larue had recognized he could've been a valuable reserve catcher instead of sulking and IMHO forcing the Reds hand to deal him (that and the fact he was drawing starter $$) the situation would've been much better...but that's not Moeller or the Reds' fault...

I think Moeller will be just fine in the role demanded of him...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

I disagree. Keeping Moeller increases the flexibility. With him you can use Valentin, your best PH. W/O Moeller, Valentin cannot play the role of pure PH. Think of Valentin as a 1B and 3rd catcher. Moeller is your typical backup C, all defense, little offense.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    ... was there ever any doubt?
    No, not really. The Reds now have two offensive black holes on the bench with Moeller and Castro. Conine and Valentin are expected to provide the power off the bench. They aren't going to provide alot but maybe it will be enough. The fact that Conine may have moved up on the OF depth chart and Valentin may become more of a backup 1B/PH actually makes the bench much, much worse. Couple this with the fact that they are carrying 12 pitchers and this bench has no depth and very little versatility.

yeah...

:runawaycr :thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Jeez Moeller sucks wind. What a horrible bench we're carrying into the season!
    I wouldn't call it horrible. Hamilton can PH, PR or come in for defense. Valentin led the league in PH homers last year if memory serves me well. Conine can play 1B or OF and give you a clutch AB and provides a much needed RH bat. Moeller is your typical backup C, no hit/works well with pitchers. Castro can play all INF positions.

Remember, Krivsky's school of thinking is pitching, defense and play smart. He's not big into OPS and offensive numbers especially on the bench.

The choice is Wise or Moeller? Jesus...this is gonna be a long year.

Does Hopper really need to be DL'ed, or is this just a way to get all these geezers on the team?

Turn Off Ads?