Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Kainer, recovering from transplant, eyes spot with Dragons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kainer, recovering from transplant, eyes spot with Dragons

Kainer, recovering from transplant, eyes spot with Dragons
    The Reds want to see him get acclimated to his new kidney first.
    Click-2-Listen
    By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Thursday, March 29, 2007

BRADENTON, Fla. — Even though he has been working with the Dayton group, outfielder Carson Kainer expects to be left behind when the parent Reds break their minor-league camp Sunday.

Kainer may become a Class A Midwest League Dragon this summer, but first the Reds want him to get even more acclimated to his new kidney — transplanted from his father, Ron — last Sept. 12.

"I feel great," said Kainer, after playing in a Class A game at the Pittsburgh Pirates minor-league complex Wednesday. "I consider myself to be very blessed. I've never had any restrictions in my life, even though I've had kidney problems. I've never been on dialysis or had to take steroids. I've led a normal life.

"I got a hit today and slid into second base head first with no problems."

When he was two growing up in suburban Houston, Texas, Kainer's kidney problems were discovered. He had a staph infection in his right kidney, and his left kidney was about a third of normal size. An operation at age 6 helped some, but his family was told at some point, he'd need a transplant, probably by the time he got to high school.

It took longer than that, and Kainer said he lived a normal life. The only sports he was advised against were football and ice hockey. He became a standout baseball player at the University of Texas, hitting .364 with 25 doubles and 66 RBIs as a junior last year when the Reds drafted him in the 14th round.

"I would get tired late in games, especially with the (hot) weather we'd have in Texas," Kainer said, "but that had been the case all my life."

He was about to sign with the Reds when his doctor told him he should have a checkup. It was decided he needed a transplant.

"I called the Reds and told them I didn't want to sign until everything was done," Kainer said. "I didn't want them to take a shot in the dark. Three weeks after surgery, I was fine and I called. They still wanted me and gave me the same offer.

"This is a great chance for me. It's what I want to be doing."

Dragons' tales

Manager Donnie Scott is hoping to get his roster as early as today. "It doesn't make that much difference, but I'd like my guys to get to know me and my style," Scott said. "As for knowing how we're going to play, we've got the same system throughout the organization. The guys will adjust real quick. It will be, 'Do what I tell you.'"

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...07dragons.html

Re: Kainer, recovering from transplant, eyes spot with Dragons

Here's a brief update on Carson, from Fay's blog today:

Thursday, May 3, 2007

Mark from Springfield asked about Carson Kainer, the Texas outfielder the Reds took in the 14th round last year. You may recall him. He's the kid who had a kidney transplant. He's playing in extended spring. He's hitting over .300 and driving in about a run a game. He'll probably end up at Billings.

Carson Kainer is DHing tonight and batting 7th for the Sarasota Reds. Congrats to Kainer on finally being able to play again!

Glad to see it. Before I sound too optimistic......

Disclaimer:

a. I realize all Reds prospects are crap
    b. I'm sure he's too old for the league
    c. His walk/hit ratio probably isn't good enough
    d. Most prospects don't make it to the bigs
    e. We overrate our prospects
    f. Most prospects have two kidneys

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Glad to see it. Before I sound too optimistic......

Disclaimer:

a. I realize all Reds prospects are crap
    b. I'm sure he's too old for the league
    c. His walk/hit ratio probably isn't good enough
    d. Most prospects don't make it to the bigs
    e. We overrate our prospects

I originally read this thread as "recovering from eye transplant".

Kainer is five-for-nine with a homerun so far. I'd say that's a pretty good start.

Furthermore, the fact that the Reds have a prospect with one kidney tells me all I need to know about the Reds farm system....

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Furthermore, the fact that the Reds have a prospect with one kidney tells me all I need to know about the Reds farm system....
    That its so stacked they took a very very good college kid with plenty of talent in the teens and gave him all the time he needed to recover? Yeah, I see that too. Good observation.

Doug, where does Kainer wind up in the org? He seems too good for Billings.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Rumor has it he might be sticking in Sarasota.

Turn Off Ads?