Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragons Roster set

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Dragons Roster set

Marc Katz had this article posted about an hour ago

Scott says Dragons could compete 'in Class AA'
    Dayton manager gets his Class A team's roster Thursday and is thrilled with the talent he sees.
    Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Friday, March 30, 2007

SARASOTA, Fla. — Donnie Scott was handed a Dayton Dragons roster Thursday morning, and he was ready to open the Class A Midwest League season on the back fields behind Ed Smith Stadium.

"I got butterflies right now," Scott said with a big grin. "And these are good butterflies, not nervous butterflies. With these butterflies, you want to go to the ballpark every day.

"You're going to like this team. This team has ballplayers."

By the end of the day, Scott was so excited by what he saw in an exhibition game against the Orioles, he spotted Scott Nethery, assistant general manager and senior director of pro scouting for the Reds, and gave him a hug.

"Everyone deserves credit for this group," Scott said. "From Rick Burleson (who managed Billings last summer) to the coordinators to the scouting department for signing these guys.

"This will be the best team we've had (in Dayton) since 2001, and it may be better. It may not have quite as much power, but the power is there. These guys know how to run the bases. They know how to hit, field. We've got pitching.

"This team could compete in Class AA. I'm telling you, this team has a chance to be real good."

The Dragons of 2001 had such future major-leaguers as third baseman Edwin Encarnacion and outfielder Wily Mo Pena, as well as slugger Stephen Smitherman (who also made the majors).

Pitchers Josh Hall, John Koronka, Dustin Moseley and Ryan Snare all made the majors from that team.

While there are still changes to be made — Dayton's projected roster had 26 players, one over the limit — the Dragons' starting lineup seems set.

Tony Esquer is expected to be the starting catcher with Logan Parker at first base, Justin Turner at second, Juan Francisco at third and Chris Valaika at shortstop.

The outfield will be Chris Heisey, Denis Phipps and Drew Stubbs.

Sean Watson, a relief pitcher last season, will start Thursday, on Opening Day at Fifth Third Field.

Most of those players were at Billings last year when the Mustangs won the regular-season Pioneer League championship, and 12 came out of last summer's first-year player draft, including No. 1 pick Stubbs.

"It's a more experienced bunch," said Reds Director of Player Development Terry Reynolds. "Most of them have played college ball in winning programs. The hitting stands out. The pitching is young and inexperienced. We'll see if it can keep up with the hitting."

Eight of the players — Parker, Turner, Valaika, Francisco, Heisey, Phipps and pitchers Jordan Smith and Travis Webb — leave today for Dayton and will suit up with the Reds for Saturday's 2 p.m. exhibition against the Marlins at Fifth Third Field.

The rest of the roster: catchers Eddie Rodriguez and Justin Tordi; infielders Jason Louwsma and Billy Rojo; outfielder Gerardo Cabrera; and pitchers Jamie Arneson, Darryl Thompson, Rafael Gonzalez, Lee Tabor, Misael DeJesus, Marcos Mateo, Pedro Viola, Ramon Geronimo, Jose Rojas and Robert Manuel.

Watson, Gonzalez, Manuel, Rojas and Cabrera spent part of last season with the Dragons.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dragons Roster set

A Daryl Thompson sighting! There's a name from the trade.

The Noog is going to beastly with Bruce, Cueto, and probably Wood.

I only see 24 guys listed on there, notably missing is Josh Ravin who BA rated as the Reds #13 prospect. If he isnt on the roster, he wont be playing unless someone in Dayton gets hurt, promoted or the short season starts in Billings.

Is this the first year Gonzo has been "with the program" and fully gotten prepared for the season? He is a tortured soul

Good luck to him in establishing himself as a serious prospect this year.

Viola and Geronimo seem to be this years international guys who made it over and at least at this point to full season ball. Both players were unreal in the DSL in their time there.
    Geronimo has thrown 55.1 innings, allowed 35 hits, 2 ER, and had 15 walks and 65 strikeouts. He has served as a relief pitcher in the DSL the last 2 seasons and is 23 years old.
    Viola is also 23, but is a starter, or at least was in the DSL. 61.2 innings last year, 50 hits, 20 walks, 14 ER and had 77 strikeouts. He posted a 2.04 ERA.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Viola and Geronimo seem to be this years international guys who made it over and at least at this point to full season ball. Both players were unreal in the DSL in their time there.
    Geronimo has thrown 55.1 innings, allowed 35 hits, 2 ER, and had 15 walks and 65 strikeouts. He has served as a relief pitcher in the DSL the last 2 seasons and is 23 years old.
    Viola is also 23, but is a starter, or at least was in the DSL. 61.2 innings last year, 50 hits, 20 walks, 14 ER and had 77 strikeouts. He posted a 2.04 ERA.
    I guess Danny Dorn is too advanced for this level. Perhaps Ravin too. I thought some other pitchers, like Roenecke, would be there. Terrell Young? A number of international guys have broken through, which is good.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-30-2007 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Doug, not a lot of recognizable names on the pitching staff. I thought Daryl Thompson would be at High A. Arneson, Tabor and Manuel, I recognize. Weren't there a number of other guys at Billing last year (Roenecke, Smith, obviously Ravin, etc.) who don't appear? Wonder if some will turn up at Sarasota.

Also, looks like Dorn will be jumping a level. He was too good for Billings last year.

Overall, just thought we'd see a lot of other names on the Dayton team.
    I bet Roenecke and Smith start in Sarasota unless something is up that we dont know about with them (hopefully not injury). Ravin wont skip ahead to Sarasota, so I am wondering what is going on there because he was in a recent Dragons press release on one of their Minor League game reports. As for Dorn being to good for Billings, him and about 75% of the guys starting in Dayton this year were to good for Billings. I dislike to a great degree how the Reds handle their top college guys each year. Drew Stubbs was the only college hitter taken in the first 2 rounds last year who did not appear in at least A ball, and while his numbers may not have suggested that he didn't deserve it, what Valaika, Parker or Dorn did, they surely deserved some type of promotion.

I guess Danny Dorn is too advanced for this level. Perhaps Ravin too. I thought some other pitchers, like Roenecke, would be there. Terrell Young? A number of international guys have broken through, which is good.
    Ravin will be 19 this season, no way he plays anywhere but Dayton or lower this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I bet Roenecke and Smith start in Sarasota unless something is up that we dont know about with them (hopefully not injury). Ravin wont skip ahead to Sarasota, so I am wondering what is going on there because he was in a recent Dragons press release on one of their Minor League game reports. As for Dorn being to good for Billings, him and about 75% of the guys starting in Dayton this year were to good for Billings. I dislike to a great degree how the Reds handle their top college guys each year. Drew Stubbs was the only college hitter taken in the first 2 rounds last year who did not appear in at least A ball, and while his numbers may not have suggested that he didn't deserve it, what Valaika, Parker or Dorn did, they surely deserved some type of promotion.
    Jordan Smith is at Dayton. I skimmed over his name in the article.

Jordan Smith is at Dayton. I skimmed over his name in the article.
    Well for about the fifth time today, I cant read. Its been a long day.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

EDIT: Never mind, Young's in extended spring training rehabbing a shoulder- apparently not too serious.

Young had shoulder soreness that caused him to miss a couple weeks of ST. I have no clue why Nickols is EST.

If Dorn is going straight to high A, then what's the deal with Valaika? I know Loo isn't there to play, but shouldn't you place top prospects according to their ability and not organizational needs?

I think Dorn would be with all his Billings buddies if the Reds did not have so many injuries to outfielders. Deno out for 6 months.Hopper and Freel are also banged up.

My impressions of this roster - less talent than last year:
    the good: Rafael Gonzalez, Juan Francisco start the year in full season ball. Danny Dorn is either very good or he's filling an organizational need at high A (I'm inclined to think the former).
    the bad: No Valiquette (means he's finished- unfortunately), Justin Turner, Drew Valaika and Daryl Thompson not at High A - bad signs.

Turn Off Ads?