Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coaching T-Ball

Re: Coaching T-Ball

Just keep it fun. I coach High School basketball, and am very competitive. I try to keep it(t-ball) pretty laid back as far as my competitive nature and have a good time watching the kids learn and have fun.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I tell my t-ball team to Play The Game The Right Way. They are an extremely Scrappy Bunch. I tell them that Home Runs Are Overrated and I've got an 8 yr old on my team for Veteran Precesence because He Knows How To Play The Game.

I also have 3 catchers on my roster.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

The best drills I've ever seen to develope hand-eye is batting off a tee, and have a coach or player flip the ball to a batter and have him/her hit it into a fence from close range, over and over.

I was helping coach a catholic school team in Deer Park for a week while the coach was on vacation. We had a kid who hadn't made contact all year, let alone get a hit. I took him and worked with him for two days using the drill where I took a knee with a bucket of baseballs and had him repeatedly hit the ball into the fence. When the game rolled around, we put him in for the final 3 innings. He got one at bat and grounded out to short. You would have thought the kid hit a grand slam. He was pumped and so was I.

Old Red Guard Reject

Hey, keep them all awake (especially when they are in the game), aware of where the restroom is at all time (and who went and who didn't), running the bases counter-clockwise and don't forget important details like whose parents turn it is to buy slushies after the game and you'll be fine.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    All great advice, I'll only add this nugget. "The only ball that will ever hurt you, is the one you take your eye off of". -My Dad
    Your dad was a very smart man.

Stress making contact with runners in scoring position.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

You should get on the bandwagon to eliminate T-Ball completely, as it teaches nothing but free swinging and hinders development of plate discipline and plate patience.

I bet Juan Pierre was great at T-Ball.

1) Make them run from the dugout to their position on the field. This will show hustle, and impress hall of fame broadcasters.
    2) Encourage scrappy-ness.
    3) It might help to get some veteran presence on the team.
    4) Last but not least... make sure they play the game the right way. These kids probably have young bodies, so they should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalls View Post
    In my experience coaching Tball if you can make sure everybody has come basics like:

1) run thru first base
    2) play a position instead of running to every ball
    3) throw the ball instead of running it
    4) pay attention to every play instead of planes, trains, butterflies, etc.
    5) hands correctly on the bat
    6) keep your eye on the ball on the tee and hit the ball instead of the tee

and don't get anybody hurt and work to ensure that everybody has fun and you've been a good t-ball coach.

This is great advice. I coach tee ball also, and these are things I stress also. Some coaches pick the fastest player on their team and teach them to chase down the other players. It helps to win but it doesn't teach them how get better and learn the game.

Quote Originally Posted by James B. View Post
    This is great advice. I coach tee ball also, and these are things I stress also. Some coaches pick the fastest player on their team and teach them to chase down the other players. It helps to win but it doesn't teach them how get better and learn the game.
    This is good advice, and also it got the thread back on track. I coached t-ball 2 years, and we would not let our pitcher chase down guys, everyone had to throw the ball. It's all about learning the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiRed View Post
    This is good advice, and also it got the thread back on track. I coached t-ball 2 years, and we would not let our pitcher chase down guys, everyone had to throw the ball. It's all about learning the game.

I was watching one of the other teams practice the other day and the coach would get mad if the kids tried to throw the ball. He would tell them not to throw it but to run the ball.

Turn Off Ads?