Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Joey Votto

Joey Votto

Got give my boy ramp101 a shoutout for this one.

With the lack of depth in the outfield, do you think the Reds try Votto in the outfield this year? With the closest outfield prospect being Bruce (who is still probably a couple year away), something need to happen.

A. Do you think it will happen
    B. Do you think he could handle it.

I'm wasn't sure if I should put this in the minor league form or here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joey Votto

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Got give my boy ramp101 a shoutout for this one.

With the lack of depth in the outfield, do you think the Reds try Votto in the outfield this year? With the closest outfield prospect being Bruce (who is still probably a couple year away), something need to happen.

A. Do you think it will happen
    B. Do you think he could handle it.

I'm wasn't sure if I should put this in the minor league form or here.
    I don't know. He seems pretty shaky at 1st as it is.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Senor Votto

I say keep him at first base unless he's absolutely needed in the outfield.
    Last edited by Degenerate39; 04-03-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Unless he has had outfield experience somewhere in pro ball then no way. To many times fans think that MLB players can move from position to position like adults do in softball. Its not that easy.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Considering that were not exactly stacked with first base prospects and hatteberg is rather old and has no power there seems to be no reason to move votto to first. Unless you putt dunn at first but Im not if voto would be much better then dunn in left.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    Considering that were not exactly stacked with first base prospects and hatteberg is rather old and has no power there seems to be no reason to move votto to first. Unless you putt dunn at first but Im not if voto would be much better then dunn in left.
    I agree with this assesment. I would like to see Dunn at 1B, but would rather him be in LF than Votto, anyday. I think the only way we address this issue is through an acquisition, maybe that is what we are shopping Cormier for, maybe a Jared Burton and Cormier back to the Phils for a Shane Victorino or a Werth or even a lesser deal for Chris Roberson a CF

It will be interesting to see if Dickerson steps up and becomes the most obvious replacement soon.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am with JaxRed, although it seems as if Dickerson is slated for Chattanooga.... so he probably isn't first in that line.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If we put Votto in the OF, where does Dunn play (don't say first)?

Surely Votto and Dunn could only play LF.

Keep Votto at 1st ,and he'll play there next year (if not sooner).

Our depth at first (assuming Votto moves to the OF) is non-existent.

I thought this as I was reading another thread.

I'd keep him a primary 1B, but teach him to play OF if we ever get thin. Versatility always helps, too.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I thought this as I was reading another thread.

I'd keep him a primary 1B, but teach him to play OF if we ever get thin. Versatility always helps, too.
    All that seems to tell me is that you are telling a young player you dont have faith in him to be good enough to start.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    All that seems to tell me is that you are telling a young player you dont have faith in him to be good enough to start.
    No I mean if Jr. or Freel goes down. He's still my starting 1B. But, if we're ever in a jam, he could be the LF. Or if we have a questionable offense (like now) and a good hitting 1B is available, we wouldn't have to sacrifice Joey's bat in the lineup.

No dice for me. Leave him at first. He needs to be working at his footwork around the bag and fielding gb's in general. Like someone else said, he don't exactly have any other 1B's waiting in line.

Remember, Stubbs played college ball so he SHOULD be closer than most, not saying he is though.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Keep him at 1st. Hopefully a motivated dunner will be improved in the outfield. Hes not the most gifted runner or fielder but I think he can atleast be an average outfielder. I think Votto is slated for the 1b position as soon as the half way mark this season or by opening day next year. Its kind of odd that 1b is such a power position yet the reds have not had a power 1b since Perez? Votto hopefully fits that mold.

Turn Off Ads?