Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Brantly has a "case of the goo" re: Todd Coffey

Jeff Brantly has a "case of the goo" re: Todd Coffey

I swear when you hear the guy talk about Coffey he talks about what great stuff Coffey he has, but then he must always cancel out the compliment with a little speach about how Coffey is missing the intanglibles (things that Brantley had, if you asked him). It comes off as being silly and on more than one occasion it bordered on being mystical. As if the great god Closerantheum must come down from the great bullpen in the sky and deem someone "closer". And until that happens, it doesn't matter what kind of stuff you got --well, you not a closer and only a chosen few are deemed have the qualities inherent in a closer.

We are truly blessed to be able to listen to someone bestowed of that mystical quality it takes to be a closer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Brantly has a "case of the goo" re: Todd Coffey

"Cowboy" should know what one takes to be a crappy starter too I guess, you could probably pin the Brantley as a starter in 1993 as part of the reason the Giants went home with with 103 wins that season.

Generally I've liked Brantley thus far, but he does come across as a 'know it all' as opposed to making interesting comments about technical aspects of the game.

I'd suspect that will change over time as he gets used to working with Marty and Thom and gets more comfortable. At least, I hope so.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I'd suspect that will change over time as he gets used to working with Marty and Thom and gets more comfortable. At least, I hope so.
    You must have missed his BBT stint, what a charmer.

I have really enjoyed Brantley so far. I feel like I am actually learning something about the mechanics of the game, pitching in particular, when I listen to him. He gets a passing grade from me at this point.

I guess what bothers me --is the grandiosity in which he says it. It would come across better if had some self -deprecating humor splashed in the middle of the speech.

So much of what he speaks of as mechanics are really speeches about intangibles (eye roll).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint View Post
    I have really enjoyed Brantley so far. I feel like I am actually learning something about the mechanics of the game, pitching in particular, when I listen to him. He gets a passing grade from me at this point.
    Well he's not been bad and any change in the booth can't hurt. Jeff just has that barroom swagger in his assertions, it can be grating because he doesn't come off like a guy who could laugh at himself if he was shown to be full of hot air.

I do wonder where he comes up with some of his stuff sometimes. Earlier today he was saying Janish wont make it as a major league starter (first off, he has seen him play what, 10 games in spring training?) and that he needs to learn to play catcher because the only way he sticks in the majors is if he can play SS, 2B and catcher. When was the last time a player was a backup SS/C? I sure dont know of one.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I do wonder where he comes up with some of his stuff sometimes. Earlier today he was saying Janish wont make it as a major league starter (first off, he has seen him play what, 10 games in spring training?) and that he needs to learn to play catcher because the only way he sticks in the majors is if he can play SS, 2B and catcher. When was the last time a player was a backup SS/C? I sure dont know of one.
    Yea, that entire part short stop, part catcher riff totally lost me too.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dave Cochrane, for the Mariners (1989-92).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Well he's not been bad and any change in the booth can't hurt. Jeff just has that barroom swagger in his assertions, it can be grating because he doesn't come off like a guy who could laugh at himself if he was shown to be full of hot air.
    Agreed. He could probably use a little more "I can laugh at myself if proven wrong" personality. Hopefully that will come with time.

Funny thing is I didn't really care for the guy too much on television. Course that coulda been that made for radio haircut.

I can't take the guy's expertise that seriously. 1 40 save season and 2 20 save seasons. The last one he had a 5.86 ERA and a 1.68 WHIP doing it. Also, gave up 12 homers in 55 IP that year too. He should just keep his mouth shut until someone asks how to throw a gopher ball.

He's right. I don't know if Coffey would be able to pitch through a jam in the 9th in a save situation. There is a good deal of pressure involved. Just look at Brad Lidge.

Whether the masses of RedsZone want to believe it or not, guts and fortitude DO play some role in his performance.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint View Post
    Bravo....sometimes I wonder if there is one announcer out there that would satisfy everyone on this board.
    Marty...Joe...Steve..Thom...Jeff...All of these guys have flaws but guess what ?? We all do !
    There is no perfect announcer. I realize this board is for discussion but why disect everything these guys say and berail them constantly.
    Sometimes Thom sounds like a "lil Marty" and JB says stuff that you may disagree with and Marty is Marty but overall...I have enjoyed this pre-season more than any in a long time listening wise.
    Also if you listen to other teams announcers, most have someone that comes across as a know-it-all so to me...it's no big deal.

Turn Off Ads?