Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Did I overreact in this situation

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell, yes. I take stuff from restaurants all the time. Salt shakers. Nakkins. Chairs.

3 4.35%
  • Taking stuff isn't right but you still overreacted.

20 28.99%
  • Your friend is a buttdart. Stick to your guns.

46 66.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ethical question: Taking stuff from restaurants

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Ethical question: Taking stuff from restaurants

This is more common than it should be.

I know of a German restaurant where I used to live that installed theft-detection devices in its beer mugs that would set off an alarm at the door - kind of like the door alarms at discount stores. Apparently, too many college students were making off with their mugs.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Good for you. I probably would have reacted the same way. If they were a franchise owner in that restaurant, would they have wanted to have something stolen from their restaurant? Maybe they thought limitless glasses came with the bottomless soup and salad?

I probably wouldn't have driven off without them, but I would, I suspect, have very little to do with them afterwards. I'm 40 years old, not a bleepin' teenager; I don't have time for that headache and embarrassment.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I used to date a girl in the '80's who was a klepto. Not so much a shoplifter, but other things. Once we left a Hardee's and she lagged behind me. She showed up at the car with a hanging plant that was absolutely huge. She always scared me.
    Great post. Very funny.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Was there cocktails involved?
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

What's everyone's opinion on file-sharing and "free" downloads?

I won't lie, I acquired a few tall Applebee's glasses while I was still in college. I wouldn't take anything from any type of establishment now, though.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Alright fess up, who's stealing chairs from restaurants?
    Okay, I'll admit it. I never stole chairs though. But if I'm out for a big occasion, say dinner with a friend who is about to move out of state, a first date, while being asked to be a friend's child's godfather, etc., I have taken something from the restaurant as a momento to remember the occasion by.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I used to date a girl in the '80's who was a klepto. Not so much a shoplifter, but other things. Once we left a Hardee's and she lagged behind me. She showed up at the car with a hanging plant that was absolutely huge. She always scared me.
    My old roommate once stole a huge roll of commercial toilet paper from McDonald's...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    They can be a great way to invite a lawsuit from the RIAA or the MPAA.

I think that people who do it should pay for what they download if they like it enough to watch/listen to it repeatedly. If they can't afford to do that, they shouldn't be using file-sharing.
    /r/reds

Your friend needs to watch the Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry "borrows" silverware from a restaraunt. You should tell your friend, as penance, he should do what the judge ordered Larry to do.
    Where we gonna go?

I love the "it's ok, they're a big corporation excuse". So, if this joker lit the place on fire and burned it to the ground it would be cool because it's a big corporation?

Someone said it already, it's all rationalizations for the same petty behavior: stealing. If he thought it was "ok" behavior he wouldn't have looked around to make sure the coast was clear before he did it.

I'd drop these 'friends' like a hot potato.

Fact is, it's stealing. No way around it, IMO.

Now, have I done it? Yea, a few times. But I knocked it off once I stopped and really thought about it. Someone created and owns that music. They deserve to be renumerated for their investment to create, record and distribute the entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Fact is, it's stealing. No way around it, IMO.

Now, have I done it? Yea, a few times. But I knocked it off once I stopped and really thought about it. Someone created and owns that music. They deserve to be renumerated for their investment to create, record and distribute the entertainment.
    Well, what if you lend a friend your copy of a CD (which you purchased), knowing that he will likely burn said CD to his computer (though you aren't certain he will); ultimately he does burn the CD: are both you and your friend guilty of theft? Or is just he guilty?

Do you not lend friends your CDs/DVDs for this reason? Why or why not?

It's an honest set of questions, not a trap or anything.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I usually download a couple singles as a sample to see if I want to buy the album. If I like it enough, I usually buy it.

Turn Off Ads?