Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with MLBTV

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Help with MLBTV

I attend college, I purchased the premium package and everytime I go to try and watch a game it just buffers. I was able to get the gameday audio up but it would only play for 12-15 seconds then begin buffering again. Anybody have any ideas?
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Help with MLBTV

Sounds like your bandwith isn't able to handle it. My only recommendation would be to turn off all other programs on your computer like AIM and Internet Explorer. That seems to work best for me.

Ok, thank you. I'll give it a go, if this doesn't work I'm out in the cold on watching the reds.

If your on dial up it wont work.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It's possible that your college network administrators are doing bandwidth-throttling to reduce the hit on their network from people viewing streaming video. That would be a possible cause of the symptom you are experiencing. You could inquire with the local tech-support folks whether this is the case.

Another possibility is that other people in your building are using up the available bandwidth with P2P file sharing. It would only take a few people downloading and uploading the collected works of George Lucas to put a monumental hit on available bandwidth.
    /r/reds

also clear out your history as well.. with IE up, go to the toolbar at the top and choose "Tools", "Internet Options" and when the popup comes up, click on Clear History AND, above that, you will see Temporary Internet Files. the best way to clear this is to click on the "settings" and then click on "View Files" and up will pop up a screen with all the temp internet files choose Select all under File on the tool bar and delete this way.. this will rid them all.. If you simply would have clicked on Delete on the previous screen for the temp internet files, for some reason it never deletes them all. this is the best way.. if you use the internet alot, every page is saved.. and i had over 5,000 pages saved on mine.. deleting these speeds things up as well.

hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    I attend college, I purchased the premium package and everytime I go to try and watch a game it just buffers. I was able to get the gameday audio up but it would only play for 12-15 seconds then begin buffering again. Anybody have any ideas?
    Bandwidth problem. Mine works fine at home. I teach school and attempt to watch the Reds when the kids are working on something(I usually arrange it so that they have some work while the Reds are on) When a bunch of other teachers are using streaming, it bogs down our system and cuts down on bandwidth. It might be your computer or the network that you are on.

If you use mac it wont work
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    If you use mac it wont work
    I've watched MLB.tv on a Mac before.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I've watched MLB.tv on a Mac before.
    Very very tempermental. And when it does work it starts stuttering after about 10 mins. Maybe it's just my experience, but I know MLBs media player uses Windows Media Player for Mac as its base, and that media player is no longer supported by Microsoft. Meaning if MLBs streaming system is improved or changed, it won't be for Mac. If you use the WMP replacement, Flip4Mac, that is still catching up to the Joneses in terms of compatibility, but also occasionally works for limited times. The simple fact is MLB.TV is an inferior product on the Mac and will be until MLB develops its own media player that is fully Mac compatible.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Very very tempermental. And when it does work it starts stuttering after about 10 mins. Maybe it's just my experience, but I know MLBs media player uses Windows Media Player for Mac as its base, and that media player is no longer supported by Microsoft. Meaning if MLBs streaming system is improved or changed, it won't be for Mac. If you use the WMP replacement, Flip4Mac, that is still catching up to the Joneses in terms of compatibility, but also occasionally works for limited times. The simple fact is MLB.TV is an inferior product on the Mac and will be until MLB develops its own media player that is fully Mac compatible.
    Now that you mention it, I do recall some buffering issues when I was watching a game on my girlfriend's iBook. That seems a bit inconvenient for Mac users. It doesn't really matter for me, though, since I primarily use it on my PC.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I've found that MLB.TV is most dependable on my Macs when Flip4Mac is set to always use the Quicktime player, rather than playing back in the browser. Using the QT player gives better control of playback and size than you can get in the MLB player.
    /r/reds

Where's the mosaic thing on the mlb site?

I went ahead and got the premium monthly in hopes that InDemand will come through with EI for me.

Nevermind.

I wish they would come through on that deal, I could get EI if they put it on cable here at school

Turn Off Ads?