Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Josh Hamilton on a TLC show right now

Josh Hamilton on a TLC show right now

The show is called "A Home Run for Trademark". It's one of those flip this house things. It involves Shoeless Joe Jackson's birthplace, and Hamilton is involved somehow. Looks interesting. Channel 44 on Time Warner, for those who are still awake...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Josh Hamilton on a TLC show right now

Awesome, thanks.

I saw some of that earlier this evening. That show is a regular series on TLC (I can't remember the name of it though) about a company in S Carolina who buys, fixes and flips properties. Apparently one of the guys the show is about has a connection to Hamilton. Either he or the company bought an independant league franchise and was going to have Hamilton play on it in hopes of restarting his career (this show was filmed in 2006) but before he gets too the Devil Rays invite him to spring training and then send him to A ball in New York.
    It's a pretty good look at the road he has taken back into pro baseball and interesting how he had a connection with someone who happened to have a TV show.

A few years back when I played MSBL baseball (28+ league) in Greenville, SC, we practiced at Shoeless Joe Jackson field all the time. It's really a pretty run down/bad neighborhood, so it's cool to see someone taking some time to try and fix it up, even if it is/was just one house.

I'll just stick this in here.

Old ties renewed
    PLAYER & COACH: JOSH HAMILTON & JOHNNY NARRON
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM!

When the Reds decided to select Josh Hamilton in the Rule 5 draft, they had no idea that manager Jerry Narron knew Hamilton - much less had a personal coach in mind for the fallen phenom.

"His jaw dropped when I told him we were thinking about selecting him," general manager Wayne Krivsky said.

Narron first saw Hamilton play when he was a 15-year-old, playing for the select team of Narron's brother, Johnny. The day Jerry showed up to see Hamilton play, he was catching. Hamilton is left-handed, mind you.

But Jerry saw the talent.

Ten years and a lot of miles later, Josh and Johnny are together again as coach and player. Hamilton was the star of Reds camp. Johnny Narron was there to help with the transition from fallen star to hot prospect again.

The pair could be extremely important to the Reds' fortunes this year and beyond.

When the Reds were trying to figure out ways to keep Hamilton, who missed nearly four years because of drug suspensions, out of trouble, Jerry suggested Johnny.

Johnny, who worked for the Milwaukee Brewers the last three years, had inquired about moving to the Reds as a minor-league instructor.

Younger brother Jerry wanted Johnny to come on as a video coordinator who travels with the team. Johnny's background is in hitting. The acquisition of Hamilton made it a no-brainer to hire Johnny.

The Reds have made it no secret that part of Johnny's duties are to monitor Hamilton, from keeping his meal money to Bible study.

"I'm here to help him any way I can," Narron said.

So far, so good.

Hamilton played beyond all expectations, and he has kept his act clean off the field.

2 MINUTES WITH JOHNNY NARRON

When did you know Josh Hamilton still had it? "Actually, I saw his bat speed back in January in North Carolina. Being here, the thing that really encouraged me was his discipline at the plate. For a young hitter, he's had a lot of discipline. That's what tipped me off."

What's the most difficult thing for a player like him to come back? "I think he's got hurdles to cross several different ways - just walking in the clubhouse that first day, being around his teammates. I don't think there's one particular thing."

Have you heard much about Opening Day in Cincinnati? "I've heard that it's the most important day in Ohio."

Give me a scouting report on Josh Hamilton: "Six tools. He runs well. Throws well. Plays good defense. Hits. Hits with power. And has great makeup."

Could he have been a big-league pitcher? "That was the discussion when he came out of high school among the scouts and scouting directors. Do you draft him as pitcher? Or do you draft as him as a position player? So there was interest back then."

2 MINUTES WITH JOSH HAMILTON

When did you know you still had it? "What kind of question is that? (Laughs.) You always know. If you don't have the confidence as a player, you're not going to succeed. I realized I could still play the game."

What was the most difficult thing about coming back this spring? "Not baseball."

Have you heard much about Opening Day in Cincinnati? "Nothing. Not one word."

Give us a scouting report on Josh Hamilton: "A guy who's going to battle you and give it everything he's got when he plays. A guy who is hard to play against. It's hard to defend guys who are having fun all the time."

Do you miss pitching? "I miss it sometimes as far as the competitive aspect of it, being on the mound with the game on the line. It would get me fired up."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T04/704010397/

Number 2 know: 1
    That's where Josh Hamilton was selected in the 1999 draft by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Other current major- leaguers selected after Hamilton in the first round that year include: Barry Zito (ninth) by Oakland; Ben Sheets (10th), Milwaukee; Brett Myers (12th), Philadelphia; Jason Jennings (16th), Colorado; Alexis Rios (19th), Toronto. Here's what Rod Beaton of USA Today wrote about Hamilton when he was selected:

"He's a 6-foot-4, 200-pound, left-handed power hitter with speed, a strong arm and according to the Devil Rays, great makeup. He's compared to Yankees RF Paul O'Neill. Hamilton can also pitch into the mid-90s. The Rays see him only as an outfielder."

I read the subject quickly and thought they were talking LTC with him. I was about to you know.

Turn Off Ads?