Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Two hammers - Griffey and Dunn

Two hammers - Griffey and Dunn

Two hammers
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM!

Under general manager Wayne Krivsky, the Reds moved away from power and toward pitching and defense.

But it's still early in Krivsky's regime. Thus, there are remnants of what the Reds once were: The biggest banging team in the National League.

To wit: Not a lot of lineups have two guys who have combined for 761 career home runs, as the Reds do in Ken Griffey Jr. (563) and Adam Dunn (198).

That's scary for the other side if it's late in the game and they're protecting a one- or two-run lead.

"Go ask Dick Pole what he feels like having Adam Dunn in the on-deck circle. It scares people to death," Narron said.

Pole is the pitching coach for the Reds; he used to be the bench coach for the Chicago Cubs. Dunn has averaged roughly a home run every 10 at-bats vs. the Cubs in his career.

"I'm not sure Dunn really realizes the fear factor for opposing teams," Narron said. "Griffey's done it for 18 years. There's a fear factor there, too."

One major offensive change Narron has made this year is to separate Dunn and Griffey, both left-handed hitters, in the lineup.

"I think Adam Dunn is a good enough hitter whether he's got a lot of people around him or not," Narron said. "Ken Griffey Jr. is a good enough hitter whether he's got a lot of people around him or not."

By spreading the two big boppers around in the lineup - Dunn likely will hit second or fourth; Griffey fourth or sixth - the Reds' young right-handed hitters, Brandon Phillips and Edwin Encarnacion, are likely to see better pitches.

"I think both of them will benefit from having left-handers hitting around them," Narron said.

It helps when those left-handers hit home runs as often as Griffey and Dunn.

2 MINUTES WITH KEN GRIFFEY JR.

What kind of bat do you use? "A Louisville Slugger C271, 34 inches, 31 ounces."

Give me a scouting report on teammate Adam Dunn as a hitter: "Patient."

Who is the toughest pitcher for you to face? "When you're going good, there's nobody. When you're going bad, it's everybody. I think this game is a game of streaks. When you're going good, you get those calls and everything seems in the right flow. When you're going bad, it seems like there are 20 guys on the field."

Do you remember your first home run all the way back? "First home run I hit over a fence? I was 14, playing in West Chester. Hit it over the fence, pumped my fist like Steve Garvey. My dad was like, 'Don't you do that ever again.'"

Where's the worst place as far as fans in the outfield? "It doesn't matter with me. They're bad everywhere. (But) It's not that bad. It's just one or two people who yell the whole game."

Fans' 2 cents

From Cincinnati.Com online Reds' fans survey:

"If Junior is healthy, this team has the most dangerous CLEAN hitter in the game."

"I try to be optimistic about Jr., but history tells me he'll hit the DL at least twice."

2 MINUTES WITH ADAM DUNN

What kind of bat do you use? "It's a Louisville Slugger B345, 34 inches, 33 ounces."

Give me a scouting report on teammate Ken Griffey Jr. as a hitter: "I'd hit him (with a pitch). That's what I'd do."

Who is the toughest pitcher for the you to face: "Probably Chris Carpenter."

Do you remember your first home run all the way back? "No. No, I don't. The first I remember was when I was 9. In the state championship game or whatever. It was back in the day."

Where's the worst place as far as fans in the outfield? "Chicago. Wrigley. They throw beer on you and yell all kinds of stuff. They do all kinds of stuff. It's nasty."

Fans' 2 cents

From Cincinnati.Com online Reds' fans survey:

"He really needs to cut down on his taking pitches and his strikeouts. ... He needs to step up and be a leader and show emotion."

"If he can raise his average to .260 and play mediocre defense, his power and walks will make him the Reds MVP."

"Needs more rest, and a little more concentration in the outfield. Has the power and eye, just needs more contact."

"Although I hate his hitting style ... it's perfect for this ballpark."

NUMBERS 2 KNOW: TALE OF TWO 27-YEAR-OLDS

Dunn will play this season at 27 years of age. Here's a look at his statistics before age 27, compared to what Ken Griffey Jr. did before he was 27:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...10395/1071/SPT

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Two hammers - Griffey and Dunn

Numbers 2 know
    Reds' all-time home run list

1. Johnny Bench (1967-83) 389
    2. Frank Robinson (1956-65) 324
    3. Tony Perez (1964-76, 84-86) 287
    4. Ted Kluszewski (1947-57) 251
    5. George Foster (1971-81) 244
    6. Eric Davis (1984-91, 1996) 203
    7. Adam Dunn (2001-06) 198
    Barry Larkin (1986-2004) 198
    9. Vada Pinson (1958-68) 186
    10. Wally Post (1949, 51-57, 60-63) 172
    11. Ken Griffey Jr. (2000-06) 165

Home runs after six seasons as a Red

Player 6 yrs. Total as Red
    Frank Robinson 202 324
    Adam Dunn 198 198
    Johnny Bench 154 389
    Eric Davis 142 203

Home runs after six seasons, all players

Player 6 yrs. Seasons
    Ralph Kiner 257 1946-51
    Albert Pujols 250 2001-06
    Eddie Mathews 222 1952-57
    Frank Robinson 202 1956-61
    Adam Dunn 198 2001-06
    Joe DiMaggio 198 1936-41

Home run leaders

1. Hank Aaron, HOF 755
    2. Barry Bonds 734
    3. Babe Ruth, HOF 714
    4. Willie Mays, HOF 660
    5. Sammy Sosa 588
    6. Frank Robinson, HOF 586
    7. Mark McGwire 583
    8. Harmon Killebrew, HOF 573
    9. Rafael Palmeiro 569
    10. Ken Griffey Jr. 563
    Reggie Jackson, HOF 563

HOF - Hall of Famer

RBI leaders*

1. Hank Aaron 2,297
    2. Lou Gehrig 1,996
    3. Babe Ruth 1,989
    4. Stan Musial 1,951
    5. Barry Bonds 1,930
    6. Jimmie Foxx 1,924
    7. Eddie Murray 1,917
    8. Willie Mays 1,903
    9. Mel Ott 1,860
    10. Carl Yastrzemski 1,844
    11. Ted Williams 1,839
    12. Rafael Palmeiro 1,835
    13. Dave Winfield 1,834
    14. Al Simmons 1,827
    15. Frank Robinson 1,812
    22. Ken Griffey Jr. 1,608

Wow. Didn't realize that Jr very easily could make it up to top 5 all time in HRs this year. Of course, Sosa can back, so he could make that a little tougher, but still very impressive.

Besides Arroyo, who are all these "pitchers" that the Reds have moved toward? Or the "bums" from the Nationals are them?

Turn Off Ads?