Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Castro should be the everyday SS

Castro should be the everyday SS

Clayton is below average offensively and defensively. Give me Castro, who won't wuss out while turning a double play, and always makes the pick, even with a bad hop. And Castro is not much of a step down from Clayton offensively. In fact, I think they are pretty even.

Start Clayton from time to time, but Castro should be the primary starter IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Can he be stopped?

Re: Castro should be the everyday SS

Over Clayton, yes Castro should start more often. Over other proven major leaguers with a decent bat, no. But he does get hot, which is a plus when he is in such a state.

So...this brings up a Castro question...is "Golden Hands" his nickname around the league or it is Georgie Boy's pet name for him.

Clayton always seems to find a job as the everyday SS wherever he lands so he must not be to bad. As far as that DP in the 8th tonight I sure don't see that as his fault.It looked like Philips took his time lobbiing the ball over to him and the runner coming did a good job of breaking it up.I would however have no problem with Castro being the everyday SS.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

I attended all three games at Minute Maid this week and I would agree that Castro should see a significant increase in playing time at SS. In addition to the should be double play ball of Wilson's bat that Clayton screwed up, IMO a good SS makes a 6-4 put out on ball Berkman hit of of Bray in the same inning. Clayton seems to have a well below average arm and is not much help offensively. To his credit, Clayton was out taking ground balls during BP before all three games.

i say phillips at ss, so my boy Edwin can play everyday

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels
    So...this brings up a Castro question...is "Golden Hands" his nickname around the league or it is Georgie Boy's pet name for him.
    Manos de Oro, Pies de Plomo.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Castro is BETTER offensively as he will hit the occasional HR...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

God, I was hoping this thread was a joke. There is no way Castro should be starting on this team, even with Royce Clayton on it. Castro is not an everyday player and has proved that throughout his career. Now, I do not like Clayton starting everyday either - but that is what we have at this point and it is a hell of a lot better than throwing Castro out there every day.

I'd actually prefer they move Phillips there and leave 2B for Freel/Aurilia, but that won't happen. I'd also rather see Olmedo starting there, but that won't happen either. I guess we are stuck with Clayton starting 5 out of 7 games and Castro the other two.

WAGS

Bahahahahhahahahhaa.....

Bahahahahhaahha

I would take Aurilia at SS over Clayton.

That's not an endorsement of Aurilia's SS prowess by any stretch of the imagination, just an indictment of the suckiness of Clayton.

If Krivsky had some balls--well, wait the Kearns/Lopez trade shows that he *does* have balls, how about brains--he'd let the kid who came up throughout the minors as a SS make the move that would allow EE to play everyday and still keep Aurilia/Freel in the lineup. Guess that's too crazy to ask.

"We don't want to move him in-season." Gimme a flipping break.

Wayne doesn't set the line-up and Clayton has been doing OK, even with the stick, since he got here. Not sure how people can say he sucks.

I'm not a Clayton fan but he doesn't suck.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    Wayne doesn't set the line-up and Clayton has been doing OK, even with the stick, since he got here. Not sure how people can say he sucks.

I'm not a Clayton fan but he doesn't suck.
    Agreed.

Aurilia at SS? Really? I think I have better range, and I am out of shape, with a bum knee.

Castro is a good guy to have, off the bench.

Please, no Castro everyday. He's been doing well so far, but he'd quickly go back to his norm if he played everyday.

My question is this....why can't we try, just a game or two, Phillips at SS right now to see how it goes? He's played alot of SS in the past and I don't think it'd take him very long to get back in the groove over there. Then we could put RA at 2nd most of the time.

I really believe we need to put the best 8 guys on the field every single night. Right now, we're not.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

The play in the 8th, where Clayton threw the ball high, wasn't his fault.

The runner broke it up, but was clearly too far from the bag. It should have been called runner's interference, but Umpires are pretty blind these days.

Turn Off Ads?