Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pinch Hitting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pinch Hitting

I'm listening online to 7 hunnid, lol...

Anyway, they are talking about the Reds pinch hitters. For example, if Freel starts in CF, then our options for pinch hitting will include Conine, Hamilton and Valentin. Not bad! 700 WLW seems to think that is among the best in MLB. Comments on that?

I seem to think that Freel...after a few weeks...will return to being the Red's utility player and Hamilton will be our starting CF! Yep...I said it!
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Pinch Hitting

Quote Originally Posted by Grounds_Crew View Post
    I'm listening online to 7 hunnid, lol...

Anyway, they are talking about the Reds pinch hitters. For example, if Freel starts in CF, then our options for pinch hitting will include Conine, Hamilton and Valentin. Not bad! 700 WLW seems to think that is among the best in MLB. Comments on that?

I seem to think that Freel...after a few weeks...will return to being the Red's utility player and Hamilton will be our starting CF! Yep...I said it!
    If Freel is the starting CF after June 1st, I will be very surprised.

He should platoon in RF with Griffey, and Hamilton should be the everyday CF, now that Denorfia is hurt.

Hamilton is far superior to Freel defensively, and since Krivsky's slingin around that mud he calls "defense", he might as well put his money where his mouth is.

Hmmm....good point! I like the idea of Freel and Junior sharing time in RF in order to keep BOTH of them healthy.

If Hamiliton's numbers stay consistent I think we may get our wish....

...but you forgot to talk about pinch hitting!
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Grounds_Crew View Post
    Hmmm....good point! I like the idea of Freel and Junior sharing time in RF in order to keep BOTH of them healthy.

If Hamiliton's numbers stay consistent I think we may get our wish....

...but you forgot to talk about pinch hitting!
    My mistake, I'll talk about pinch hitting.

Right now, I know of 1 Red I never want to see pinch hitting.... Juan Castro.

If this guy makes the team, I know of another Red I never want to see pinch hitting.... Chad Moeller.

Better?

Can he be stopped?

I like those three. Even the old man/ mr. hatt is good for a hit in the clutch. But who hits after them? And Javy isn't that great of a Pinch hitter...

Last season Javy batted .111 against lefties. He is the most overrated switch hitter ever.

Here are his PH stats: 52 AB, 12 H, 4 HR (This is the one impressive part), 3 BB, 11 Ks, .231 BA, .273 OBP, .462 SLG, .734 OPS

His batting average as a PH ranks 24th in the NL... among catchers (6th among NL catchers with more than 10 PH ABs)
    Last edited by Dunner44; 04-01-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    Last season Javy batted .111 against lefties. He is the most overrated switch hitter ever.

Here are his PH stats: 52 AB, 12 H, 4 HR (This is the one impressive part), 3 BB, 11 Ks, .231 BA, .273 OBP, .462 SLG, .734 OPS
    Don't you have to be rated as a switch hitter before you can be overrated? I didn't know anyone would want him to bat RH. I would be surprised if he had more than 2 PH AB's as a righty last year. If he did, I hope he was the last on the bench, or shame on JN.

Also, I will take those stats for him off the bench.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Don't you have to be rated as a switch hitter before you can be overrated? I didn't know anyone would want him to bat RH. I would be surprised if he had more than 2 PH AB's as a righty last year. If he did, I hope he was the last on the bench, or shame on JN.

Also, I will take those stats for him off the bench.

Okay, so only 18 ABs as a right handed batter, not enought to qualify.. but when people talk about Javy, they mention his ability to switch hit as a strength. Clearly it isn't. In those 18 ABs he had 6 Ks. But every time he was in there against a left handed pitcher, he batted switch. He has 18 plate appearences last year against lefties, and batted all 18 as a right hander. And had a .111 average. Small sample size, but it doesn't look too good. There's a reason he isn't used against lefties often.

Turn Off Ads?