Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Todd Coffey/Mike McDougal/Rafael Soriano/Bob Howry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Todd Coffey/Mike McDougal/Rafael Soriano/Bob Howry

All are not (yet) closers, yet which would you rather have in a league that only values W, SV, K, ERA, and WHIP. How would you rate them? In other words, which has the best chance at becoming a closer in the next six weeks? Surely at least one from the group of Weathers/Jenks/Wickman/Dempster will fail. Also, with concerns over Putz's health, what about Chris Reitsma?
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: Todd Coffey/Mike McDougal/Rafael Soriano/Bob Howry

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    All are not (yet) closers, yet which would you rather have in a league that only values W, SV, K, ERA, and WHIP. How would you rate them? In other words, which has the best chance at becoming a closer in the next six weeks? Surely at least one from the group of Weathers/Jenks/Wickman/Dempster will fail. Also, with concerns over Putz's health, what about Chris Reitsma?
    Soriano/Coffey/Howry/MacDougal

Dan Wheeler.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Wheeler/Coffey/Soriano/Howry/MacDougal
    I think Lidge may be done, thus Wheeler is #1 (if an option)
    Coffey is my number 2 because I think the guy in front of him is worse than the guy in front of Soriano, and who knows maybe Gonzalez goes into the closer role w/ Soriano staying as set-up man, and Wickman is entrenched in the Role unless he really gets lit up.

I'm surprised you guys all like Coffey better than Howry given Dempster's struggles and short leash. I would think Howry would be the logical choice to step into the closers role should Dempster faulter, at least until Wood is healthy. Coffey meanwhile has to compete with Weathers, Stanton, Coutlangous, and Bill Bray. Just curious as to your logic.

Also, I currently have Wheeler and Soriano on the roster, (in addition to Hoffman and Otsuka). I'm just trying to decide btw Coffey and Howry. Thanks.
    Go BLUE!!!

I just like Coffey and think he could really emerge this year, or if he is used as the workhorse he will compile quite a few W's and spot saves. I think its really a toss-up for the reasons you listed though. But I gave Coffey the edge for personal interest. It could play either way....

I would go with Howry because I think he is the best pitcher in that group. Also, I don't think Piniella will stick with Dempster as faithfully as their manager did last year. It is put up or sit down with Sweet Lou.

The Cubs have managed to get much better results with Dempster than the Reds did, but he is still very shaky for a closer. Howry is a better pitcher and will take over as closer sooner rather than later.

MacDougal is a good option...Jenks weighs like 300 lbs, and won't last.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanfalcon View Post
    MacDougal is a good option...Jenks weighs like 300 lbs, and won't last.
    Jenks was also about the same size last year and recorded 41 saves along with more than 1 K per inning.

Wheeler's obviously the best option of all these guys right now. Other than that, I think Soriano is the best remaining still so far. Thoughts?
    Go BLUE!!!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Al Reyes is another option in Tampa.

Turn Off Ads?