Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Kyle Davies?

Old Red Guard Reject

Kyle Davies?

Any interest? Would the Braves part with him?

From mlb.com

-- Hopeful that Lance Cormier won't have to miss a start, the Braves optioned Kyle Davies to Triple-A Richmond on Friday night.
    Davies lost out to Mark Redman and Cormier for the final two spots in the rotation behind John Smoltz, Tim Hudson and Chuck James.

"I did all I could," Davies said. "It's not the end of the world to have to start down there. I'll be back. I know I can pitch up here."

The right-hander was 2-0 with a 2.84 ERA in five Grapefruit League starts, but he walked nine in 19 innings.

The Braves want Davies to be more consistent, and they hope an altered windup will help his control. Instead of going over his head with his hands, he now is stopping below his chin.

"It helps me keep the ball down," the 23-year-old said. "It feels comfortable. It's the way I did it before they had me change, my second year in the Minors."

Davies was 7-6 after being called up from Richmond in 2005. However, he suffered a torn groin last May and finished 3-7.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Kyle Davies?

Big fan of Davies but he's not polished. If he gets to that point he could be lights out. Kerry Wood type "stuff".
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    Any interest? Would the Braves part with him?

From mlb.com

-- Hopeful that Lance Cormier won't have to miss a start, the Braves optioned Kyle Davies to Triple-A Richmond on Friday night.

Perhaps Lance Cormier will campaign to be reunited with his grandfather, Rheal.
    Xavier University Football - undefeated since 1973

Davies was great what two years ago? When he broke out of the minors.

He's young and like TC said, He's got great raw talent. He'd cost a arm and a leg though.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cacollinsmba View Post
    Priceless.

"Grandpa..I'm better than you."
    "I know kid, I know. "
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cacollinsmba View Post
    That's good stuff right there. Too bad I've given too much rep out today.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    Priceless.

"Grandpa..I'm better than you."
    "I know kid, I know. "
    Anything you can do I can do better.....
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Old Red Guard Reject

I figure Davies isn't as untouchable as he used to be considering he lost his starting nod to Mark Redman.

They're running Kelly Johnson and Scott Thorman out there at 2B and 1B, respectively and only have four OF. How about Freel and possibly Hatteberg in a package for Davies? Since the Reds have Valentin to spell Conine at 1B against RHP and Votto in AAA the loss of Hat wouldn't be that great and Hamilton could fill in for Freel in CF. I'd love to pry Rafael Soriano from them to close as well.

I figure Davies isn't as untouchable as he used to be considering he lost his starting nod to Mark Redman.

They're running Kelly Johnson and Scott Thorman out there at 2B and 1B, respectively and only have four OF. How about Freel and possibly Hatteberg in a package for Davies? Since the Reds have Valentin to spell Conine at 1B against RHP and Votto in AAA the loss of Hat wouldn't be that great and Hamilton could fill in for Freel in CF. I'd love to pry Rafael Soriano from them to close as well.

Then our outfield is Hamilton Dunn and Griffey? Who backs them up? Hapless Wise? Norris "My ceiling is a 300 hitter in double a" Hopper? Since Denorfia went down we need an outfielder.

You can give up Hat, and use Conine. However, you just got older and not younger. I give up Hat/Conine to just use Votto. Screw everyone else. Plus, Thormans back up Mr. Craig Wilson is better than Hatteberg younger as well.

Kelly Johnson will be fine on second base. He might stagger for awhile but heck if Marcus Giles can learn anyone can.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Johnson is basically a younger more talented version of Freel. Hatteberg would be the 4th best 1B in Atlanta behind Thorman, Wilson and Diaz.

I don't see anything the Reds could spare that the Braves would want for Davies unless they overpay with a Bailey or something nuts like that.

Just not a good match right now IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

not to be harsh but exactly when did acquiring young pitchers and reasoanble pitchers become so cheap that a talented journeyman and a "feisty" guy like Freel would be enough to garner Davies and Soriano?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    not to be harsh but exactly when did acquiring young pitchers and reasoanble pitchers become so cheap that a talented journeyman and a "feisty" guy like Freel would be enough to garner Davies and Soriano?

I mentioned "possibly Hatteberg in a package" ....meaning it would take more than that or different players with only Freel a possible match. I was just thinking out loud anyways, probably won't happen.

Turn Off Ads?