Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question Possible 3rd Starter?

Question Possible 3rd Starter?

A little confused as to who to keep:

SP:
    R. Oswalt
    A. Harang
    B. Arroyo (Did not draft, p/u on waivers, dropped and then p/u again)
    B. Penny
    K. Escobar

RP:
    F. Rodriguez
    J. Nathan
    T. Saito
    J.J. Putz

Waivers:
    Kei Igawa (P/U, then cut to p/u Arroyo)
    Tom Glavine (Drafted, then Cut to add Igawa, a hunch)

So my question is, which 2 of these 4:

Penny
    Escobar
    Igawa
    Glavine

Also have Tom Gordon, Joe Borowski, Jorge Julio and Brian Fuentes on waivers.

My Lineup BTW (I went pitching semi-early)

C - Brian McCann
    1B - Todd Helton (Hoping for a ressurection)
    2B - Julio Lugo (Also SS eligible)
    SS - Felipe Lopez (Will be 2B eligible)
    3B - Joe Crede
    OF - Carlos Beltran
    OF - Andruw Jones (contract year)
    OF - Brad Hawpe
    Utility - Dave Roberts

Bench - Ian Kinsler 2B
    Bench - OF Curtis Granderson (I'm taking a bigtime risky hunch on this kid)

Available bats:

OF - Ryan Freel (Only OF eligible)
    OF - KG Jr.
    OF - Juan Encarnacion (DL)
    OF - Brian Giles
    OF - Juan Rivera
    2B - Tadahito Iguchi
    2B - Ray Durham
    1B,2B,SS - Rich Aurilia (Does Durham and RA cancel each other out?)
    3B - Pedro Feliz
    1B,3B - Shea Hillenbrand
    3B - Mike Lowell
    3B - EE
    C - Bengie Molina
    C - Michael Barrett

Any opinions?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Question Possible 3rd Starter?

I would order them:
    Escobar
    Glavine
    Igawa
    Penny
    Escobar I feel is a no-brainer, and Glavine is well Glavine, consistent. But Igawa could be the man to use early, as He is new to the league and should do well in his first round through the AL, I would however look to move him quick if he starts off hot as he is not a dominant pitcher and will probably see a drop-off in the second half. Ive never like Brad Penny due to his inconsistency, but if you want to use him, now is the time, he usually does well in April and May. So in essence I would use Escobar and then play the match-ups for the rest. Play penny at home, almost Every time, and bench him on the road, etc.

I agree that Escobar is by far the best of the bunch.

I would rank them:
    Escobar
    Penny
    Igawa
    Glavine

Early in the season I like to have upside be the tie-breaker when making decisions.

Like tripleaaaron said, I would use Penny when at home or in Washington or San Diego, but rarely on the road. With the rest of these guys I would only use them against teams in the bottom half of the league in scoring. This works best if you are in a league with daily lineup changes.

The National League pitchers are preferred because they don't have to face the high-scoring teams like the Yankees and Red Sox, nor do they face the DH.

Igawa will gets lots of wins but probably won't help you in other stats much.

You have some nice closers on the waiver wire. I would pick them up and use your stud closers to trade for better hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    You have some nice closers on the waiver wire. I would pick them up and use your stud closers to trade for better hitters.
    Didn't even notice that until you pointed it out, wow Tom Gordon available on waivers, wow, he is an absolute do not pass go must add. because as Atomic pointed out you can probably trade from depth at that point to better your lineup.
    I think that Ian Kinsler is probably your best MI and shouldn't be on the bench, replacing Lugo in the lineup.

Turn Off Ads?